English Premier League Season 2023/24

You mean “Timber” is going???

3 Likes

Hah !! Well possibly, if the media are right. You know, the Sun and BBC Gooner. :grinning:

Though I could have sworn he has just signed for the squatters down the road…

:grinning:

1 Like

Second most expensive too - that’s what happens when you try to buy the league championship… :grinning:

Seriously though, if it has taken Arteta almost 4 years to get to this stage, we need to give the convict from down under, now residing in North london, a chance to do something. :smiley:

1 Like

From Ajax Dutch international Jurrien Timber signs for Arsenal.

I think we can agree on all of that though I think we can add Pooch to that list Chelsea have one of the worst records for sacking managers and if those players do not buy into his way of doing things which is supposed to be brutal when it comes to fitness things could go south quickly.

Discounting PSG because let’s face it you or I could have won that league with that team he’s not a serial winner and forget all that talk of we’re in a process Chelsea don’t do processes.

Arteta does have to get top four and get out of the group stages of the Champions League but if he doesn’t which honestly don’t see he has enough stock with the club to stay. He has taken one of the most over paid, under worked and bloated squads in the league and turned them from Banter FC into the second most valuable in world football.

Ten Haag is in a similar position with his clubs owners as Arteta though I don’t know anything about the Sheik or Jim Ratcliffe should they take over.

1 Like

Has somebody kidnapped BTB, gone from Mr Excitable to Mr Cautious…Top 4 and out of the CL groups…come on you’ve talking like a Spurs manager now :thinking:

1 Like

I’m talking about the club’s owners, Arteta’s employers expectations of him this season not mine as a fan my expectations are that we win the Premier League.

You’ll only win the PL if Haaland meets with an unfortunate ‘accident’.

We only play The Cheats twice a year in the league so it’s not just about beating them it’s about the points tally and I believe on our day we’re capable of beating every other team in the Premier League and amounting enough points to win.

We’ve made some great additions and have tied all of our best players down to 4 or 5 year contracts but if Tomas Partey is allowed to leave we need to sign at least two more midfielders.

I can understand the thinking regarding selling Partey if someone offers us £40 million because although he is an exceptional player when 100% fit the problem is so far we’ve only had a 100% fit Tomas Partey for maybe 50% of the time he has been with us add to that the fact we will lose him for a possible 6 weeks mid season because of the African Cup of Nations and the fact he will be 31 and going into the final year of his contract next summer it might be prudent to sell him now IF they have a replacement and a back up lined up.

So here is a question football fans over 90 mins how do you beat Pep Guardiola’s treble winners?

I refer to my post above.

More signings this window (apart from Arsenal).

Unai Emery is building a strong squad with the additions already of Youri Tielemans on a free and also on a free the very well thought of 19 year old Rico Richards but their big signing so far is Emery’s old centre back from Villareal Pau Torres for £33 million.

I think with Emery Villa could go deep into the Europa League and very possibly win it, it’s an easier route into the CL than top 4 in the PL next season.

Added to Justin Kluivert Bournemouth have signed Hamed Traore - Sassuolo, £20m
and Romain Faivre - Lyon, £12.8m.

Brentford have signed Nathan Collins - Wolves, £23m Ahem! Romeo Beckham - Inter Miami, undisclosed, Ethan Brierley - Rochdale, undisclosed and Mark Flekken - Freiburg, £11m.

So far Brighton have signed Bart Verbruggen - Anderlecht, £16.3m, Mahmoud Dahoud - Borussia Dortmund, undisclosed, Joao Pedro - Watford, undisclosed and James Milner - Liverpool,

Burnley

Jordan Beyer - Borussia Monchengladbach, undisclosed

Michael Obafemi - Swansea, undisclosed

Dara O’Shea - West Brom, undisclosed

Lawrence Vigouroux - Leyton Orient, free

Chelsea
In

Nicolas Jackson - Villarreal, £30.1m

Christopher Nkunku - RB Leipzig, £52m

Kendry Paez - Independiente del Valle, £17.27m

Alex Matos - Norwich, undisclosed

Diego Moreira - Benfica, undisclosed

Ishe Samuels-Smith - Everton, undisclosed

Crystal Palace

Jefferson Lerma - Bournemouth, free

Everton

Ashley Young - Aston Villa, free

Liverpool

Alexis Mac Allister - Brighton, £35m
Dominik Szoboslai - RB Leipzig, £60

Luton Town

Mads Andersen - Barnsley, undisclosed
Tahith Chong - Birmingham, £4m
Chiedozie Ogbene - Rotherham, free

The Cheats

Spike Brits - AFC Wimbledon, undisclosed
Mateo Kovacic - Chelsea, £30m

Manchester United

Mason Mount - Chelsea, £60m

Newcastle

Sandro Tonali - AC Milan, £55m
Yankuba Minteh - Odense Boldklub, undisclosed

Nottingham Forest

Manni Norkett - Manchester United, free
Chris Wood - Newcastle, undisclosed

Sheffield United

Anis Ben Slimane - Brondby, undisclosed

The Spuds

Dejan Kulusevski - Juventus, £25.6m
James Maddison - Leicester, £40m
Guglielmo Vicario - Empoli, £17.2m]
Manor Solomon - Shakhtar Donetsk, free

West Ham

Sean Moore - Cliftonville, undisclosed

Wolves

Boubacar Traore - Metz, £9.5m
Tom King - Northampton, free

I have to say I think that Timber could turn out to be an excellent signing. MUFC were very interested last summer but were told ‘no’ and brought in Martinez instead - a brilliant addition inho. But Timber is a great player and the quoted price seems almost reasonable.

Still relatively early in the window but Arsenal have obviously done very good business, I would agree about Villa and it looks like Brighton have continued their excellent talent spotting work.

2 Likes

There’s something about a club signing the son of Patrick Kluivert that suddenly makes me feel quite old. Not rational, as many mates now have adult kids, but has that effect nonetheless :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I’m surprised that no one has “taken one for the league” already

After blowing well over 200 million, the owners are gonna be happy with top 4 and getting out of the group stage of CL ?

You’re havin’ a larf ! How can expectations be lower than you achieved last season ? You gotta win something or challenge strongly for the Prem. title, or it’s a rank failure for the owners.

2 Likes

It’s called planning for the future WW something you Spuds could learn from.

Gordon Bennett, Bob. :astonished:
How many seasons have you been planning now ??
Comes a time when you eventually have to bring home the bacon.
:rofl:

Now’s the time for Arteta.
Or he’s failed.

Doing worse than last season’s 2nd place is actually going BACKWARDS, not forwards…

1 Like

From the BBC :

"Over the past three summers, Arsenal’s net spend exceeds £400m, outstripping everyone, including Chelsea…

That financial investment - and that longevity - brings expectation. Arteta needs to meet it."

High Noon for Arteta.

2 Likes