English Premier League Season 2023/24

Good call on Tuchel’s subs, WW.

And your real time update was funny.

I don’t like Real Madrid at all, but one has to take one’s hat off to the buggers, doesn’t one?

2 Likes

Ah yes, the Russel Martin tactic…….”we’re well in control of the game, so I’ll put out five subs and totally fcuk things up!”

Russ/Thomas……if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

2 Likes

Super Tommy Tuchel could be on his way Man U.

…where the problems go way deeper than a change of manager/coach (whichever nomenclature we are now using) can resolve.

4 Likes

Erik ten Hag walks into a bank to cash a cheque. As he approaches the cashier he says, “Good morning, Ms could you please cash this cheque for me?”

Cashier:“It would be my pleasure. Could you please show me your ID?”

Ten Hag:"Truthfully, I did not bring my ID with me as I didn’t think there was any need to. I am Erik ten Hag, Manager of Manchester United”.

Cashier: “Yes, I know who you are, but with all the regulations and monitoring of the banks because of impostors and forgers and requirements of the legislation, etc., I must insist on seeing ID.”

Ten Hag: Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will tell you. Everybody knows who I am."

Cashier: “I am sorry, Mr Hag but these are the bank rules and I must follow them.”

Ten Hag:“Come on please, I am urging you, please cash this cheque.”

Cashier: “Look sir, here is an example of what we can do. One day, Tiger Woods came into the bank without ID. To prove he was Tiger Woods he pulled out his putter and made a beautiful shot across the bank into a cup. With that shot we knew him to be Tiger Woods and cashed his cheque.”

“Another time, Andre Agassi came in without ID. He pulled out his tennis racket and made a fabulous shot where the tennis ball landed in my cup. With that shot we cashed his cheque. So, sir, what can you do to prove that it is you and only you?”

Erik stands there thinking and thinking and finally says, “Honestly, my mind is a total blank…there is nothing that comes to my mind. I can’t think of a single thing. I have absolutely no idea what to do. I don’t have a clue.”

Cashier: "Will that be large or small notes , Mr Ten Hag?”

15 Likes

You can take the man out of Norwich but you can’t take Norwich out of the man…

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I’m pleased with what he’s done in totality.

However, I do question some of his in-game decisions. In many ways he’s a bit like Nigel Adkins.

I do wonder at times whether there is the mentality these days that “because we’ve got five subs per game, we’ve got to use them.”

1 Like

Watching Villa’s game tonight and comparing it with last night’s Real Madrid v Bayern semi shows there’s a huge gulf between the very best & the bubbling unders. The pace of last night’s game, the speed at which the ball zipped around, the performance of Vinicius Jnr were at a different level. In passing Watkins is no Harry Kane who remains our England’s onky world class player I think.

1 Like

Jude Bellingham might disagree …

Time and time again, we are told by our UK media, that the Premier League is the best in the world, yadda, yadda, yadda, in an attempt to justify the obscene amounts of dosh floating around in those over-bloated, self-entitled half a dozen teams.

Then our “best in the world” teams go and play in the “inter-country” competitions and, guess what………

3 Likes

Garth Crooks (of all people) made a pertinent comment the other day. He described Cole Palmer as ‘Gifted’. Foden is talented, but Palmer is gifted. The most Glen Hoddle like player since Glen Hoddle. He could be right!

1 Like

Be surprised if he classed himself as world class but he has time on his side. He didn’t stand out in esteemed company last night although he’s having a cracking season. The RM goal scorer interestingly is apparently a player who’s spent his career failing by comparison with his team mates. He’s no Benzema for sure.

If they don’t say best they often say competitive forgetting that Man City are about to win their 4th consecutive title.

I’ve still got my (1972 vintage) Man City scarf somewhere………

(Manc born……. ‘Ampshire bred)

1 Like

Pre Poznan City were a very different club to today’s enterprise. And you did give us the deep lying centre forward and the finest manager of his generation :smiley:

Real Madrid and Bayern Munich are amongst the richest clubs in the world too playing in leagues they dominate it would be interesting to see how they would do in the Premier League.

2 Likes

Bell, Lee and Summerbee were my heroes in them there olden days.

3 Likes

They were great days. Who could forget ‘Lee 1 (Pen)’ :smiley:

Wasn’t this the thinking behind the Super Euro Premier League being promulgated a few years back?

I thought it was a great idea….get rid of the over-bloated and self-entitled half a dozen UK clubs and let them go and play with themselves, while the rest of us lesser mortals get on with enjoying a couple of hours entertainment on a Saturday afternoon.

2 Likes

Sorry to sound all Doomsday-ish, but it’s only going to get worse. Twelve PL teams now have American owners. Two more and they can force through all manner of changes that most traditional fans will hate. It makes no difference. The new breed of owners aren’t there to make fans happy; they’re there to make millions on their investments.

It’s no secret what they want (apart from world-class stadiums at world-class prices): No promotion or relegation; player salary caps; more control over TV money. Other strong possibilities: An expanded PL, probably split into two conferences, similar to major sport in the US, and/or a European super league; clubs will move to new cities if owners feel like it; stadiums as destinations – fans will be lured there before and after games to spend spend spend at bars, restaurants and official club shops. Oh yes, and transfers will be more like the draft in the NFL, NBA, NHL etc.

Basically, all PL games will be exhibition games. Those wanting “real” football will have to look elsewhere.

3 Likes