English Premier League Season 2023/24

I agree that Arteta did himself no favours on occasions last season and earlier this season. To be fair though, he does seem to have tried to control his behaviour and outbursts in recent months.
If one was able to pick a best 11 out of Arsenal and ManCity’s squads, I’m not sure how many Arsenal players would make the team. So, to have pushed ManC so close (and still in with a chance of the big prize) with an inferior squad, actually shows what a great job Arteta has done.

4 Likes

I agree that they’ve done well @SteveD but will fall short. I think that City are the better team, but Arsenal have done outstanding individual players - Rice and Odegaard have been great this season.

1 Like

Don’t forget Saliba - probably the best defender in the EPL at present

3 Likes

There’s a lot of assumptions that West Ham and Everton will just roll over on Sunday. Two away wins although unlikely, would be perfect.

1 Like

I still betting on ARSEnal winning the league on goal difference…

1 Like

Come On You Irons!

I haven’t been particularly bothered all season whether Liverpool or Arsenal won the league, just so long as it wasn’t the Harlem bloody Globetrotters (although, to be fair the actual Globetrotters never relied on a phalanx of lawyers to keep justified retribution at bay).

Sad to say, it’s hard to see the zombies who have eaten out the shell of the once-likeable Manchester City doing anything other than winning.

I will be rooting for Spurs tonight in the WSL. A win or draw would dent Chelsea’s bid for another title.

I am taking Mrs R to the Villa vs Citeh final match of the season on Saturday. Last season at Villa it was a 4-3 goal fest, but we lost. As with Arsenal in the PL, we are in with a shout of the title, but as underdogs.

Interesting - I wonder (but doubt) if it will be in the public domain how individual clubs voted?

1 Like

Especially for Bob

6 Likes

In a head to head Guardiola’s team have failed to beat Arteta’s Arsenal in three matches this season, Arsenal beat them in the Community Shield at home in the league and drew with them at the Emptyhad, over those three matches Arsenal conceded just one goal.

Guardiola has managed and taken over three of the richest and most successful sides in world football over more than a decade with access to the best players and the best facilities where as Mikel is in his first managerial role took over an aged, overpaid and bloated squad ridiculed as Banter FC and in under four years has transformed that squad into one capable of challenging Guardiloa’s treble winners right up until the final kick of the season.

He has taken Martin Odegaard once considered the hottest prospect in world football whose career was floundering and helped turn him into one of the best midfielders in the Premier League ditto Kai Havertz. In a combined 11 with City I’d say Saliba, White, Odegaard, Rice, Sake and possibly Havertz would be in that team.

Yawn.

3 Likes

Thanks.

A very p***** off Ange Postecoglu voicing his frustration at the so called Spurs fans who cheered on an opponent after they scored against their own team, shades of Antonio Conte’s interview before leaving last year. Spuds fans sabotaging their own club again. Sad.

A pleasure, Bob

Considering we have lost 5 out of the last 6 Prem. games, with such lacklustre performances. Ange should take a good look at himself and the players before having a go at the fans.

The fans work hard 5 days a week, get about a 200th of the salary Ange does. They get nothing for supporting Spurs except blood, sweat and tears. And the piss takes in the pub. The fans actually have had to pay for the tripe we’ve been served up with recently. They have every right to think what they f----k’n’ want.

Spurs fans sabotaging their own club. Don’t make me laugh - typical Gooner b…ks.
They conveniently forget that when interviewed recently, Gooner fans said they would rather lose an Europa Cup final as long as at the same time Spurs lost a Champions League final. Pathetic hypocrits.

1 Like

Sat in a Vigo bar watching a middish table La Liga encounter between Celta Vigo and Atl Bilbao (10 pm local KO!) struck by the similarities in our games now. The playing from the back, high line and/or press, midfielders breaking the lines looks like pretty much every game in our top two Divisions these days. Unthinkable 20 or even 10 years ago.

Can anyone explain how the Brighton v Chelsea match this evening manages to have an addition 21 minutes of game time.

I understand a bit of added time for injuries, subs and time wasting but 21 minutes?

Is the game taking this ‘added time’ a bit too far, or do we just simply need to stop the clock in a similar way to American Football and just play 90 minutes?

Pochettino seems to have got Chelsea moving forward. A manager I’d gladly welcome at my own club. Watched the Mancs v Geordies, 2 managers I’d not welcome at my own club (acknowledging that neither they or Poch would come). The gulf from City/Gooners to 4th place and below is huge. Think Poch most likely to bridge the gap next season if he’s supported (& there’s no FFP malarkey to come). We shall see. Never understood why Spurs moved him on.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t know, wasn’t able to watch it as SKY put ManU vs Newcastle on two channels at once, instead of being able to rustle up a couple of miked up blokes with handycams for the ‘rescheduled’ game at The Amex which apparently meant it was impossible to cover…