English Premier League Season 2023/24

We agree on the quality of individual players Bob. But your point about head to heads doesn’t hold water. We both know that it’s how you play over 38 games that matters, not the 2 games against your direct rivals.

Keep the faith Bob :white_heart::heart:

Bob has gone from the excitable one to the delusional one (with a touch of paranoia in-between, i.e everybody on here hates ARSEnal) :flushed::joy:

Interestingly, on a day when Wolves have proposed a vote about scrapping VAR, a couple of iffy decisions today.

I thought Newcastle should have had a penalty when Amrabat clipped Gordon’s foot from behind. Those fouls usually get given and yet this time not.

But worse was the one Brighton should have had, how on earth was that not given?

I had a feeling Newcastle were going to come up short today, I even said to my better half before the game that I thought Man Utd would sneak that one past us and so it came to be. Some good goalkeeping from Onana at key moments and some less than good goalkeeping and poor defending from Newcastle.

Lots to play for on the last day of the season…

Big cracks are really starting to appear at The Toilet Bowl as Big Ange rightly said the foundations are fragile both inside and outside the club, there is a lack of a winning mentality and he is going to have to go back to the drawing board completely.

The team is in free fall, the fans are turning on Big Ange and their biggest achievements of the season where drawing at The Emirates and loosing to the cheats last night.

1 Like

This wasn’t given. Hopefully the clubs do the right thing and vote for scrapping VAR.

You’re probably aware Sky’s commentary said this had been checked by VAR, which was either wrong, or it shows, once again, the VAR system is simply woeful – and there’s no point having VAR if it doesn’t intervene in cases like this.

This said, the offside rules are so complicated nowadays that I’m not sure how an assistant ref is supposed to police them, what with ‘active’ and ‘inactive’ players, the latter now including players who lurk around the 6-yard box, move towards the ball, but don’t touch it.

1 Like

It’s very easy to look at theses freeze framed images in isolation and decide it was or wasn’t but there is always context my view is that when dealing with humans you’re going to get mistakes and these even out like the the goal you scored against us that our manager, fans and players all believed wasn’t a goal because the ball went out as did Joe Willock your player.

That incident was freeze framed to death at the time as was the push on Gabriel for the resulting goal I don’t hear Newcastle fans calling that out, no VAR was a useful and proper tool that day.

I’m not surprised Newcastle fans didn’t call this out. Even from this angle, the ball is clearly not 100% out of play.

Of course, inside the Gooner delusional bubble, it’s miles out and the ref and VAR are all against them.

2 Likes

That looks a bit like the Mitoma one in the World Cup.

The angle of the camera image gives the appearance of ball being out (because you can see grass between the ball and the line), but actually the upper part of the ball is overhanging the line

There were 3 lengthy stoppages and a VAR check in first half. So that easily accounted for the 9 mins they added in the first half.

Went to the pub for the second half :joy::beer: so can only guess about the other 12 mins !

1 Like

Pub v Premier league, hell you got that one right!!

It just seems bizarre that the game ends after 90 minutes but then we play another 21 minutes, I just wonder why we just don’t stop the clock until play is ready to restart, everyone (players, officials, spectators, managers and even the TV analysts) then knows how many minutes have been played and how many are left, currently its a complete guess how much time will or won’t be added on.

1 Like

By Bob’s logic, ManU are a much better team than Liverpool, having achieved a win and two draws against them this season.

Any Blades supporters here? If so, could you have a word about some maximum effort from your team vs the Spuds on Sunday please?

Asking for a friend.

Thx

Oh, Jamie.

We are perfectly capable of ferkin’ things up ourselves…

2 Likes

Makes up for the one he ‘won’ v against Kalvin Phillips in the West Ham game.

2 Likes

Which proves my point you can freeze frame any controversial VAR to suit.

Agreed :grinning:

Bob that’s hard for an Aussie to understand. While it’s your league we would never ever ever support another team playing ours. It’s just not logic.

:crossed_fingers:

And for me Pete I’ve supported a team I don’t support ie Liverpool when they played Spurs in the Champions League final but the result either had no effect on my club.

I can honestly say that if Spurs where top of the league and my team losing a game especially a game that could lead to a Champions League spot stopped them I’d want my team to win always.

1 Like