English Premier League Season 2023/24

David Silva has retired aged 37.

Courtesy of today’s Private Eye

3 Likes

Or viewers.

No sweeping media campaign to get employers to let employees watch England’s game this morning then?

1 Like

Indeed. Plus, I really don’t understand why ITV aren’t running a nightly hour long highlights programme in similar way to their TdF coverage

So Newcastle, owned by the Saudi Public Investment Fund, have sold one of their players to Al Ahli, who just also happen to be owned by the Saudi Public Investment Fund…yep, seems legit :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So…on what basis do you feel the deal is illegal? Your vague allegations are not acceptable. Be specific.

My vague allegations are not acceptable…oh no :sweat_smile:

But as you asked… It’d be quite easy to inflate a transfer fee to disguise an injection of capital, in order to help Newcastle comply with financial fair play rules.

I don’t think $30m for ASM is over inflated based on the current marketplace

So…no specifics then?! You should not make ridiculous allegations without any substance whatsoever.

The PL vet all transactions over £1m to ensure ‘fair value’. Is established. This will happen in the ASM deal.

I have watched every single NUFC home game that ASM has played in. He is worth £30m. I think he is on a par with Kovacic, Mahrez, and even Maddison. Do you??

So why was this transaction not legitimate? I’ll wait…

Think you need to relax, it was a joke :roll_eyes:

1 Like

To answer your question though, no I don’t think he is on a par. To compare him with Mahrez is just silly and Madison had a great season despite being in a terrible Leicester team.

I absolutely get what @anon5056134 is saying despite the fact that in this case it’s hard to call £30 million massively over inflated but having said that would another English club have paid that for him I think not.

These transfers between co owned clubs should be investigated though because after what The Cheats have been up to all these things should be open and transparent as this was.

They ARE all investigated by the PL Bob, that’s the point. The criticisms appear to all be around fair value.

In the current market where, for example, Man Utd are apparently putting a £40m value on McTominay, ASM is comfortably worth the £30m he has been sold for.

Well I can’t argue with that comparison. In truth I have to say that Newcastle United do seem to be playing fairly there has been no huge influx of ‘Galactico’ type players.

No doubt the wages they are able to pay have risen but I don’t think they have signed any player they wouldn’t have signed before.

They’ve bought well so far Bob. Need a left back. Dan Burn is not a natural full back and will get caught out for pace more and more.

I hope they go in for your boy Tierney. I do rate him as a player and he is not a regular starter at Arsenal.

Not for sale keep away.

1 Like

KT is a superb player, and Arsenal’s misuse of him is little short of disgraceful. He needs to move to a club where his talent is appreciated. Like, for instance, Celtic ; )

2 Likes

KT has a major part to play yet and isn’t the sort to bail at the first sign of adversity once he has a PL championship medal to go with his SPL collection he may go back home.

He should have been playing. Zinchenko is a fine player, but Tierney is a better full-back. I’ve heard people say otherwise, but they’re wrong. Simple as.

1 Like

He should come to The Toon, thats just over half way back……

1 Like