English Premier League Season 2023/24

It’s that feeling like when you look across at your other other half and can’t believe how lucky you are it can make you a bit giddy.

But seriously Bob, Howard Webb has been touring the EPL clubs this summer to talk to managers and players about the increasing levels of dissent and time-wasting that he believes are risking the decline of the game. I know some view it as part of the general pantomime of modern football but I am inclined to agree with him. He is arguing that teams/managers need to show more respect to officials and their opponents. The big teams and managers, and yes that includes Arsenal and Arteta, do need to be showing some leadership here IMO

3 Likes

I presume you are saying this from your perspective rather than your partners :thinking::flushed::joy:

1 Like

The Man City season ticket holders (mostly) boycotted the match, with only about 5,000 of us going. This was a protest against these matches always being in London (high cost and travel difficulties and perhaps an anti-southerner perspective). I can’t say I fully agree. The match time was brought forward to 4pm and the trains weren’t on strike for once. Also the ticket price was ok, not much more than a PL match.

The City allocation was fully sold out, but the stands were full of “tourists” as my son calls them. So it was quite a muted experience in our half of the stadium. Unlike the Arsenal end where their fans really seemed up for it.

1 Like

Really. So according to Apple News some as yet unnamed Arsenal supporters believe that if they get to the CL final because Arteta has never lost at Wembley Arsenal will win it.

And you actually took the time not only read it but to repost it.

Yep I love reading about the excitables :roll_eyes::joy:

1 Like

The Saints website has announced that Tino Livramento is off to @Andyblain 's lot for £40million.

I’m wishing Tino, Andy and the Magpies the best for the coming season. Andy, you have quite a prospect who I think will thrive under Eddie.

C.

1 Like

Nkunku out until December. On top of Fofana for the season.

Marvellous.

Perhaps they shoild make it 40m halves, then you still get 45-50 minutes!

1 Like

From Henry Winter in today’s Times - average Championship league match had ball in play for only 52 minutes last season. Pretty disgraceful for fans who have bought tickets, travel or TV subscription. The opening game of the season last week between Saints and Blades lasted 106 mins and had 70 mins of ball in play. So if teams don’t want to play long games then they have the power to do that by not fcking about!

4 Likes

David Raya has just signed for Arsenal. A fee believed to be around £30 million has been agreed Arsenal have also agreed a fee with Nottingham Forest of £10 million for Matt Turner.

Many thanks Christopher. I don’t know much about the lad, but he is highly rated. What I do know, is that Trippier is 33, so young Tino could hold that spot for years to come.

Good luck to your lads also - they played some nice football in that game on Friday night.

1 Like

Tino is a terrific player. One of those Chelsea should have tried harder to keep. Trouble is, he had a fair bit of competition in front of him.

Mind, Chelsea get 50% of the fee Newcastle paid Southampton, so a nice £17.5M. On top of the £5M Southampton paid Chelsea.

1 Like

Here’s the ball in play times for last season, not good…

Ref’s have always been able to stop time wasting, for some reason they’ve just chosen not too, except for the token yellow card given to goalies in the 80th minute.

2 Likes

The Spuds new ‘one for the future’ geriatric Italian keeper managed to flap his way through a 4-2 defeat at Barcelona I can hear it now are you Lloris in disguise.

If Levy wasn’t such a tight arse they might have got Arsenal’s new No2 although rumour has it he turned The Spuds and Man U down because he knew Mikel was coming in for him.

Honest question, why is there 2 football threads that both seem to focus on the EPL?

Check out the entry for Arsenal - hilarious!

1 Like

Class to see Keane officially involved with Man U again. Better than some videos mentioned on here lately!

Atb
Kk

1 Like