English Premier League Season 2023/24

If you watched him in the Bundesliga, that’s not even a matter of opinion. He’s another excellent player who struggled at the clown car that is Chelsea. In Germany, he looked like Martin Peters at his peak (for those with long memories).

1 Like

My old man used to call Peters ‘ten years after’, which always made me chuckle as I was a fan of the band.

2 Likes

I too was happy with the way things where regarding the football thread and think you are absolutely right and the title I chose for the thread did seem to exclude some members so I have edited the thread title as all are welcome.

But Bob - where do we discuss international football? :wink:

2 Likes

Good point – otherwise fans of European trophy winners West Ham and Man City will feel excluded…

5 Likes

Thanks, Bob. I feel suitably included :+1:

Except fans of Scottish clubs.

No reason folks cannot participate in both threads as long as they deal with the subject at hand. For the past season I only watched EPL teams in Europe which, for me at least, is enough.

And we seem to be excluding the Alan Boswell Group Cambridgeshire Girls and Women’s Football League too.

Rather discriminatory imo.

Given Racing Strasbourg is now Blue, we need to include them too.

Well, Mike, I had been hoping that Pompey would get promotion, to make next season in Div 2 a tad more interesting.

OTOH I do have this badge from 1972 (uni days)

Got a scarf somewhere as well.

Also I’ll be able to watch MOTD every week!

1 Like

Everyone is welcome and banter is encouraged even though 99.999% of it is aimed at us Gooners.

1 Like

Well the inevitable has happened according to the sports press Mancheatster City have entered the race to sign Declan Rice.

So where will he go? 50% of the press and every rival fan including all of the West Ham supporters half of whom declare they know Rice or his family personally believe he is off to City.

The other 50% and 50% of Arsenal fans believe he will end up at Arsenal. So will he join the cheats up in Manchester play 30-50% of the time whilst Pep turns him into a robotron of course for a season or two before those 115 charges finally have to be faced he’ll win everything?

Or will he go to Arsenal and in a midfield of Odegaard and Havertz play the kind of fluid football he was made to play, have a team built around him eventually become club captain and possibly become a club legend instead of a player in that team with the huge asterisk against them?

Obviously I’m being hugely biased but what do you think? And be kind I’m just a supporter dreaming of what might be.

FWIW, Grauniad reporting he wants to stay in Laandan with Arsenal

FWIW, Steinberg may be a West Ham fan but he knows as much as I do. Which is precisely nothing. There are no quotes from Rice, either direct or indirect to support that headline.

Indeed ( hence the FWIW - ie not much!)

The vast majority of West Ham fans (plus board) were resigned to Rice leaving some time ago. The problem is that Arsenal and its fans have pi$$ed them off with their derisory offers and their entitled assumption that Rice will be an Arse player (filling the internet with mockups of him wearing Arsenal strip, etc). And nicknaming him “Deccy” (WTAF?). Kranky needs to put his hand in his pocket if he wants the player that badly.

Most of the WHU family consequently want him to go to City, where he is 99% guaranteed to win silverware and where, under the tutelage of the best manager on the planet, he will probably develop into one of the very best players in Europe, if not the world. In this context, a move to Arsenal makes little sense. Plus, the Gooner meltdown and back-pedalling (eg “we never wanted him anyway”/“overrated”/“not worth the money”) will be a joy to behold.

2 Likes

This, from the man who said “Declan’s preference is to go to Arsenal”. :person_facepalming:

1 Like

But it is

I don’t know the source of these figures