English Premier League Season 2023/24

Sometimes I just love watching football no matter how much money TB spends he can’t build a team and Poch’s press conference was special too,
'“Football is an Hollistic thing”

I was round at my Dad’s this week and retrieved just a few of my old ticket stubs. I could never afford a season ticket back then being a teenager and by the time I could the waiting list was long and so I’ve always bought tickets when I could through fan groups and online.

I had almost exclusive access to a season ticket for about three seasons between 2014 and 2017 because a work mate’s son played for Arsenal but during the past few seasons ticket prices have become ridiculously high I am a red member at Arsenal but even through official channels it’s nigh on impossible to find a ticket.

3 Likes

£8 for a Wembley ticket - you can pay that for a pint now! Those were the days…

2 Likes

Wish I’d kept all my old tickets like you, @Bobthebuilder. They must bring back so many memories. Of the few I’ve retained, this one was the last time I visited Anfield:

A league cup tie against the then mighty Liverpool. We got stuffed but it was a great day out with the Liverpool fans generously acknowledging the away fans.

3 Likes

I only have those because I was still living at home and they got boxed up and put in my parents loft.

Not being an old git but going to a football match back then was so much more exciting and atmospheric.

1 Like

Yeah I remember the old Stamford Bridge was much more ‘atmospheric’. Not a chance I’d want to go back to that though!

I don’t blame you!

1 Like

What the car park?

You coming to see us at Selhurst tonight Bob?

Erm no.

Eeek!

Hah! I remember the days when they used to park all the little blue disabled cars around the edge and someone remarked how nice the supporters were in throwing them a bit of charitable change, whereas in fact you just had about a hundred blokes seeing how far they could chuck a ten pence piece.

Is that per game?

Face value for tickets for adults start at £45 but these are always sold out and impossible to buy so online ticket touts charge between £100 and £300 for home games depending on the opposition Away games of course are much rarer because the ticket allocation for somewhere like Selhurst Park is about 2,500 these are of course taken up mostly by season ticket holders any remaining that find their way into the hands of online touts can sell for as much as you see above.

£30 for away tickets for Season Ticket holders Bob…

Another tough night at Selhurst Park for The Arsenal but down to 10 men they held on to their 1-0 lead though they should have been 2 up by half time.

I felt sorry for Tomiyasu as it was actually Kai Havertz who was guilty of wasting time on that throw in but Tomiyasu got the yellow and the second yellow was a bit soft .

Yes the £45 I was talking of was for home tickets at the Emirates and of course that’s a from price for the ‘cheap’ seats. But anyway it’s a mute point as far as non season ticket holders go because the discussion was about online pricing for non season ticket holders.

Back in the 2015/16 season though every game was a recorded sell out police figures revealed that only two matches where actually physically sold out with an average of 16,000 empty seats and although I was lucky enough to have use of a season ticket that season you could buy tickets online for as little as £40.

I was a Lords recently and was surprised by the number of scalpers out the the front of the gates selling tickets at huge prices and some were counterfeit as well.

Here they’ve cracked down on illegal ticket sales, it has t stopped it but it has improved things.

2 Likes

It is interesting though Bob, that for the first time this season, Newcastle have introduced a strict ‘non transferability’ policy. In the past, ST holders would buy a ticket, get their supporters loyalty point, and then sell on the ticket, and not go to the match. This meant they racked up loyalty points and then could pick and choose which games to attend.

This season, the new policy extends to random ID checks at away grounds. I was at the Etihad on Saturday and didn’t have my ID checked, but talked to some lads who did.

This system might seem clunky, but if introduced at all grounds it might deter touts and reduce opportunists selling on tickets at the crazy prices mentioned in your post.

That’s interesting. Citeh have gone a different way regarding transferability of home tickets.

It is easy to transfer electronically between friends and family (I doubt to third parties but I have never tried.)

Also there is a ticket exchange scheme where season tickets can be listed game by game for those that can’t attend. There is a guaranteed buyback at face value if listed early enough. I have bought an extra ticket for Mrs R quite a few times.

Citeh no longer give ticket points for away games to avoid issues of buying a ticket and not attending.

It all works rather well.

1 Like