English Premier League Season 2023/24

Glad to help Andy you do need cheering up.

You’re right there Bob, and Herr Havertz did just the job!

I hope he can continue to help you get over all of these defeats Andy it’s tough especially when expectancy is so high.

1 Like

We’ll be back, Bob. We were never going to do as well as last season and it was always a tough start.

I’ve followed this shower for long enough to be realistic, but overall I remain full of hope and optimism for the future. :black_heart::white_heart:

1 Like

They are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, are they !!

Hmm, according the Beeb, the Ars have had a greater net spend on transfers over the last 10 years than Citeh !!

Our resident Gunner bemoans the high spending Citeh, but, who exactly has been trying to buy the league ?

Answers on a postcard.

3 Likes

Interesting if only because I never knew of the ‘Wirral Globe’ before now!

OK I’ll bite my problem with The Cheats has nothing to do with the amount they have spent as you well know unless you’re stupid and have head your head up your backside but how they have falsified their books regarding sponsorship deals to circumvent FFP rules.

So wether or not they have spent £5 or £5 million has nothing to do with it and also if you have read the figures correctly you’d know that Man United have spent the most though of course that would upset your fellow Arsenal haters wouldn’t it?

Arsenal and Liverpool both have eye-popping net spends. But City and Chelsea hoover up tons of talent (including guys who’ll never get near the big team) to prevent anyone else signing them. They do so at hugely inflated prices, and game the system to make it look as if they’re following the “rules.”

But the truth is, they’re all about as bad as each other. There’s very little virtue, and no financial virgins, in the “English” Premier League.

Even though the Balon D’or will and should go to Lionel Messi their is a small chance Haaland could get it but seeing as he will no doubt win it a few times over in the coming years I hope it will go to Messi for an 8th and final time for his World Cup win with Argentina.

It’s nice to have a couple of Young Gunners in the short list and also congratulations two Bukayo Saka for winning the national teams’ player of the year award for the second year running to go with his PFA Young Player award and the prestigious London Sky Award. Well done Bukayo.

List of net spenders since 2014 on BBC website. No idea how accurate. And doubt it includes the latest transfer window !

1 Like

The same can be said about other top flight leagues.

1 Like

Nice to see Man U top of the table

Atb
Kk

1 Like

Premier League clubs spent ÂŁ2.59 billion in the August transfer window this year.

The Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1 and Serie A spent a combined total of ÂŁ2.22 billion.

The Saudis, which is not a top-flight league, spent ÂŁ770 million.

Those figures were reported by ITV a few hours before the window closed.

If the table was “success in the period” divided by “spend in the period”, we would be battling relegation.
It’s a disgrace quite frankly, and it’s not even as though our current “assets” look remotely like turning things around.

1 Like

It’s not just about the money, English clubs have more revenue (e.g. TV).

I was referring to the various accounting practices across other leagues.

If you’re saying they’re all dodgy, I’d be inclined to agree.

But my antipathy toward the PL goes beyond accounting practices.

1 Like

If it wasn’t so serious it would be funny. If it wasn’t so funny it would be serious!

Atb
Kk

From the Beeb…

Colourless England rely on Kane

Harry Kane’s goalscoring importance for England is proved by his status as the country’s record marksman, but his development into the complete player cannot be under-estimated.

Kane helped to rescue a point from a dreary team display with the brilliant demonstration of his vision and range of passing to set up Walker, who finished with composure.