English Premier League Season 2023/24

A wonderful pass, agreed, but his only meaningful contribution. He shouldn’t have to be coming back into midfield to get the ball; that should have been Maddison, Bellingham or Rice’s job. Another really frustrating watch tonight. Sorry, but I just find Southgate’s selections and tactics so conservative.

And Saka, Rice and the rest ??

Without Harry’s brilliance we would have lost.

I am agreeing with you; it was the only England high point in yet another turgid display. Saka, Rice, Maddison and Henderson were all really poor. I’m sure at some point, Kane will play more of a number 10 role, but in that team he was our main goal threat so shouldn’t have to come back into the middle of the pitch to get onto the ball. It says everything that, when we desperately needed creativity, Southgate takes off Bellingham and leaves Henderson on. I just wish he would play to win rather than play not to lose.

2 Likes

Should have played Eze :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, England will get nowhere without West Ham players in the team.

Sort it out, Southgate!

1 Like

England will win nothing until Southgate leaves and Harry Kane retires. Gareth Southgate has at his disposal the best young England squad I’ve ever seen.

And he is still playing Pickfordl, Maguire and Henderson absolutg rubbish you have two of the best midfielders in world football and you pair them with Jordan Henderson. Harry Kane isn’t a number 10 he is a number 9 he is reading too much Ronhy of the Rovers, Phil Foden is a number 10. James Maddison is a Number 10, Jack Grealish can play No 10 and ESR just won the U21 Euros playing in that position.

SORT IT OUT OR GO SOUTHGATE.

2 Likes

You’ve had since sometime in the mid 60s to sort it out. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Exactly and we have the best young squad since then which have given Turdgate a very thin sheen of success he should have gone after he lost the European final against Italy.

1 Like

It’s not just Southgate.

Yes, it was pre-season but I watched the Chelsea games on our US tour playing other Prem teams and we were fluid, exciting and scored lots of goals.

Come back to the UK for the season start and most of the ‘youngsters’ providing all that are either loaned out or don’t make the matchday team.

Funnily enough, when Lampard was ‘forced’ into playing a younger, hungrier team in his first stint at the time of the transfer ban, even he managed to get us to finish 4th in the Prem.

Kane produces the one spark of brilliance and wins us the game. Then I read fans saying he should retire. Brainless.

True, Kane shouldn’t have to play a no. 10 role at times, but has to because…

1. Our midfielders are not producing the goods.
  2. Southgate’s tactical prowess and selection abilities are poor.

If blame needs to be put on any England players, it’s those that produced sweet fanny adams yet again. Saka etc.

I watched only 5 minutes of it. England had possession. Sideways, backwards, sideways, forward, sideways, sideways, backwards etc. The really skillful and difficult bit was how slowly they could do this.

1 Like

He did, though note that Walker was screaming for that ball to be played. Kane spotted his run and executed an excellent pass. So equal credit to Walker - plus a nice take and finish.

Kane shouldn’t have been in that position but someone needed to be as there had been too much faffing around by other players.

1 Like

It was a turgid performance by England but we’re still going to qualify comfortably and the grumpiness we feel about England will be nothing compared to how Italians and Germans are probably feeling at the moment.

1 Like

So 1-1 is now a win? Interesting.

Ha ha! I had spotted that too but I decided to give a bit of leeway to a Spuds supporter.

A few years ago, after an unlikely 2-2 draw at the Etihad, the Spuds supporters celebrated on the train like there was no tomorrow.

2 Likes

As a Scotland fan, there are many draws I’d like to claim as victories. Quite a few defeats too! :grinning:

3 Likes

Some people don’t understand football, the reason both Rice and Bellingham had average games was because they had Henderson alongside them and if Southgate had half a footballing brain cell he’d play Ben White on the right with Saka.

And if anyone can give me one good reason what England’s top scorer is doing playing passes from inside his own half to a full back instead of being inside the opposition’s penalty area receiving the ball from a full back and please do not cite Walker’s goal as a reason.

Southgate will win nothing with England and neither will Harry Kane.

2 Likes

Hah !!!

Just returned from France, so that was my faux pas !!

1 Like

Ouch…

1 Like

One for you @Bobthebuilder

9 Likes