English Premier League Season 2023/24

Bob and Woy both seem like good guys, but this doesn’t even rise to the level of banter.

1 Like

Ok I will take a step back and listen to all the other posts for a while…

1 Like

Well. Chelsea won a football match. Again.

2 Likes

Big game tomorrow night for the Arsenal away at Lens in the Champions League to keep our unbeaten record in all cups and competitions intact. Will Arteta rotate with an eye on Sunday, Tomas Partey has been seen in training that would be a huge boost to get him back in that midfield with Rice and Odegaard.

Another huge boost is Leandro Trossard being fit for Sunday which will stop Arteta having to play Jesus wide left and Nketiah through the middle. It would be a fine thing to finally face them on Sunday with an almost full strength squad for a change.

And Mudrhyk finally on the score sheet.

Wait till god finds out.

3 Likes

Reminded me of the old one.
Jesus saves……but Osgood scores on the rebound.
Good to see a little less tension in the thread.

1 Like

And hopefully a bit of a break for us of the Arsenal persuasion.

Is this the turning point for Poch’s Chelsea a win in the West London Derby? I think Big Todd needs to take a very back seat now and let his manager do his thing for a couple of seasons despite a lack of short term success there is a lot to be said for stability at a football club.

The two quick goals seemed to transform Chelsea’s confidence last night. I thought Gallagher and Palmer played well, the former the best I’ve seen since his loan spell at Palace. Not sure this will yet be the turning point as Fulham didn’t really test Chelsea. Even chasing the game in the second half most of Fulham’s effort seemed directed into trying to draw Chelsea into a fight. They created only one real chance.

1 Like

For all the talk around superstar talent and assciated price tags, Ian Maatsen looks more and more like a stand out for the future.

Or the even older one, Nobby: Jesus saves … but St. John scores on the rebound.

Legend has it that the joke first arose (on the third day, probably) on a poster outside a church in Liverpool.

2 Likes

Haha. That’s more logical. I am more of a southerner and probably accounts for the adaptation. As an aside. I was living in old Windsor when osgood retired. With Ian Hutchinson he took on a pub located across from where Elton lives. It might have been called the cricketers if I recall correctly. Sorry for the thread creep.
Edit. It was the union inn.

1 Like

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing Wilf return to Old Trafford tonight for a shot at CL glory. As the Grauniad put it - ‘Hungry like the Wilf’

2 Likes

Sorry, was gonna keep quiet.

But I stick by my earlier prediction, ETH is toast. The first PL manager to receive the chop.

As to my friend’s Woolwich squatters. Well, they clearly lost ‘focus’ playing Lens…

But they did beat Bournemouth.

1 Like

The Beeb…

In one night Arteta has managed to lose to Lens and cost Arsenal any chance of winning the game against City at the weekend (Saka). Generational talent.

OK OK I’m gone…

1 Like

And he did his stuff…

1 Like

Another terrible result. Did not see the games but the pattern remains. Start well, lose faith, concede! His form suggests the sack, but not sure if there is any other manager so he probably survives.

Atb
Kk

I did watch the game. For a couple of 20 minute periods they looked really good going forward. Two good goals by Hojlund. Eventually the effects of defensive injuries were evident, with Turkish goals all entirely preventable if we’d had our first choices available. Onana error cost the Casemeiro sending off, and arguably he should have done better with at least two of the goals. He has already cost United several points this season, and it’s not as if his supposed major asset - kicking distribution - is bearing any fruit at all. At the moment, a very expensive perplexing signing.
Even with a full squad fully fit, and a bit more confidence from better results, it’s difficult to see any chance of major silverware. As I’ve said before, it looks like a club in the doldrums, with no clear evidence of any long term strategy to turn it around.
At least Bobthebuilder should keep his nose out today, after Arsenal’s poor result.

3 Likes