English Premier League Season 2023/24

I’ve never stayed away after a bad result whats to say bad performance and what could be a costly injury.

Lens finished 1 point behind PSG last season so are no mugs and after going one up they took advantage of Saka going off which with Martinelli out left us very narrow.

Declan Rice was brilliant again and almost drove us to nick a draw at the end without him an Saliba things could have been worse it is only a group game though.

Very good you don’t stay away after a bad result, wonder what next Monday may bring🤔

Also good to hear that like Arsenal last season Lens came second in their respective league, thou thus far they are more of a Chelsea level this season having only taken 7 points from 7 games.

EURO 2028 confirmed. Great set of venues :grinning::soccer:

1 Like

No Selhurst Park?

1 Like

What a lovely sight at St James Park this evening as the two teams emerged from the tunnel. A massive array of black & white on all sides of the ground. It’s been a long time since Newcastle fans could enjoy watching their side in the top-flight European club competition. What a wonderful feeling it must be for fans to be back. Hope the team does well.

3 Likes

Oh my! Newcastle are in dreamland…

2 Likes

I think Arteta needs a bit of coaching from Eddie Howe about how to dispose of French teams in the CL :wink:

4 Likes

Looking forward to @Andyblain write up when he has come down from the clouds…what a team performance

1 Like

Me too. Geordies will all be having a great night. Good on them…

1 Like

Magpies beat TOP French club 4 -1.

Arteta and his Gooners , losing to second rate Lens, obviously not as good.

Puts everything in perspective…

Sorry can’t help myself…

:rofl:

1 Like

A fantastic night for The Geordies, and, as an aside, check out the online footage of the drone display which flew over St. James’ Park over the last couple of days.

Brilliant!

I hope the Barcodes aren’t as good as that when we meet them on Sunday… :grimacing:

WOW! What a night. Unbelievable atmosphere and a gutsy display with top performances from Bruno and Longstaff. Great goals by Almiron and Schar and brilliant to have two local lads on the scoresheet. I am VERY PROUD tonight :black_heart::white_heart:

9 Likes

Well done to Eddie Howe’s Newcastle last night and commiserations to Glasgow Celtic who despite playing very well and having a goal disallowed suffered defeat late on against Lazio.

Listening to last nights match, the atmosphere and performance, the sense of pride as a toon fan is bordering on emotional. It reminded me of the feeling when I watched Tino score a hat-rick against Barcelona in the 1997 Champions league match but ramped it up further still. Tino was such a talent, great footballer!

2 Likes

I really enjoyed watching Newcastle last night after my own team’s capitulation on Tuesday. If I were the Glazers, I’d force the whole club from Ten Haag down to all the players to watch the match 10 times one after the other. That’s how you motivate, and that’s how you play as a team with passion instead of a bunch of over-hyped individuals.

3 Likes

“Klopp DEMANDS replay” I read.

Unbelievable arrogance from him and his club. They feel SO SO entitled. As if nobody else has ever suffered bad VAR decisions (or indecisions) :roll_eyes:

Embarrassing.

He should put the idea to Daniel Levy… :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

The demand is ridiculous. A point of principle - ‘the ref’s decision is final’ would be broken.

In any event, yes, VAR officials made a massive balls-up but let’s examine what would have happened had VAR not been involved: Linesman immediately flags the goal as offside. Ref accepts the linesman’s flag, rules out the goal and awards Spurs a free-kick. No one complains.

I’m sure we footie fans can all recall ‘wrong decisions’, ‘gross injustices’ that have gone against our teams over the years. I know I can with mine. But you just have to get over it and move on. Klopp should, too.

5 Likes

That’s the irony, MDS. Without the presence of VAR, the goal would have been disallowed anyway.

It was a terrible decision, but that’s football. We’ve all had 'em.

2 Likes

I believe that West Ham now hold the record outright for English teams of 17 consecutive European matches without defeat. I think they were nearly all wins, I only recall just one draw.

Man City are currently unbeaten in 16 so it could all change.

I know it isn’t the most high profile of records, but congratulations to West Ham. I hope they continue their run.

2 Likes