English Premier League Season 2023/24

I’m hearing that Klopp is fuming that VAR didn’t check Nunez’s embarrassing miss in the first half.

He’s demanding that the ref. makes up for it in the second half.

1 Like

To be fair, Klopp absolutely did not DEMAND a replay.

He said this: “I can say immediately, and probably some people don’t want me to say it, not as the manager of Liverpool but much more as a football person, I think the only outcome should be a replay. That’s how it is. It probably will not happen. The argument against that will probably be if you open that gate then everybody will ask for it. I think the situation is that unprecedented that a replay would be the right thing…"

And the problems is not VAR; it’s the humans operating the system. On balance, VAR is probably a good thing. When’s the last time you saw a goal awarded when a player was clearly offside?

1 Like

But that’s funny!

A replay cannot and will not happen it would be wrong on so many levels.

My own personal opinion would be that if the on field referee was made to explain either their or VAR’s decision to everybody before play continues it would introduce another idiot buffer as the VAR official would have to explain it first to the ref and then the ref to everybody else.

VAR on the whole is a good thing but as it stands it is a too far reaching and should be only used as a tool to determine wether a goal was ‘good’ so no foul, handball or offside involved and to determine wether a penalty should be awarded.

Red cards, fouls outside the box before a goal is scored or before an offside etc should be left to the on field decision.

Klopp is making himself look like more of a laughing stock. This latest fiasco has not changed my view that VAR should just be scrapped across the board. It does not work. The only ‘matter of fact’ covered by VAR is offsides, and they can’t even get that right.

I know officials will get things wrong (like they always did), but i’d rather have that, and accept it, than the utter farce that we have now.

1 Like

Yes, true, but you know the gutter press… :laughing:

I’m with you there, Bob.

Putting my Mr. Unbiased head on :laughing:, I think your lot have had more harsh VAR decisions than most in the past. We have to take them on the chin and move on.

Ange Postecoglou on whether James Maddison is being wrapped in cotton wool at the moment: “No cotton wool here, just barbed wire mate. Madders is fine, he’s trained in every session this week.”

Nice to have a real manager with a good sense of humour.

5 Likes

As a former member of the gutter press, I resemble that remark! :wink:

3 Likes

Indeed, a very good record: 17 games - 16 wins and one draw since May 2022. A record that some of the so-called “big clubs” – Arse Anal, Spuds, Chels, ManUre , LiVARpool– would kill to have.

Perhaps the Mighty Irons should be rechristened Tartan Diego Simeone’s Massive Euro Cup Winning INVINCIBLE Cockney Bastards!

5 Likes

Please don’t use the word ‘invincibles’ round here.
You know what will happen…

:rofl:

Nobody thinks of them as “The Invincibles” now, only “The Exciteables”.

3 Likes

Could be a banana skin for my lot today.

Let’s ignore all the tripe about Spurs being a challenger for the league title. Most Spurs fans are realistic and are just enjoying our great start to the season and the attractive football we are playing. But… this is still very early days for a young team that must evolve and strengthen more come the next couple of transfer windows. Hopefully, we will see something exciting develop in the next couple of seasons.

We are gonna come a cropper sometime and it could be today. Luton have not had good results so far, but they are battlers (no, not bottlers - that’s our neighbours). If we are not prepared for it, we may have problems today.

Excuses ahead of a match against Luton?

You’re sounding just like Bob!

1 Like

We should be 4 up after 20 mins.

See us losing this !!!

If it’s good enough for Bob, then…

At least you have some players to pick a team from. Our injured list now includes Eze, Olise, Franca, Lerma, Ward, Doucoure and Ahamada :grimacing:. Forest at home is one we should normally not worry about too much but today ……

1 Like

Not so many now !!! :rofl:

Bissouma should hang his head in shame. Not the Spurs way.

81% possession, 12 shots, and 0-0. Ha ! One of those games !

I’d love to be a fly on the wall when Ange talks to Bissouma. Might involve actual barbed wire

1 Like

I wouldn’t like to get the wrong side of him ! Big lad !

1 Like