English Premier League Season 2023/24

I would take that Bob! We were dead on our feet tonight, and were a bit lucky to get a point.

Horrendous injury situation, with Botman, Isak, Barnes, Anderson and Murphy out, along with Tonali. 3 or 4 of those are first teamers every week.

Naming two goalkeepers on the bench says it all really… hey ho, one of those things. Man Utd, Arsenal and Dortmund in the next 10 days - bring it on :black_heart::white_heart:

2 Likes

Not sure why Eddie didn’t use the bench a bit earlier as you are spot on, we looked knackered after 15 minutes! I can only assume the likes of Targett, Livramento and Hall will play on Wednesday in the cup to give some of the others a bit of break.

2 Likes

And Dummett.
And Krafth.
And, possibly, Ritchie. It will be like going back to Fatty Bruce’s team!

Up front is the problem. Wilson looked exhausted, and was comfortably managed by the excellent Dawson tonight. He might choose to play Gordon through the middle with Willock supporting.

As Blackadder said:- Needs must, when the devil vomits in your kettle.

Not easy; just unfortunate to get these injuries all
at once. :black_heart::white_heart:

Not the PL but still worth a mention a certain 20 year old Englishman just dominated El Classico Jude Bellingham first levelled the score with probably the greatest long range shot ever seen in El Classico and then won it on 92 minutes with a tap in from two yards out.

1 Like

We are also missing Gabriel Jesus and Tomas Partey though to be fair we where missing Jesus for the draw in January and Partey for win in May but still it has become one of the games I look for when the fixtures come out and sandwiched between two midweek cup games for us both it could still be a tough game.

Will Eddie prioritise another run in the Carabao Cup and play his strongest team against Man United on Wednesday? He will definitely have to against Dortmund next week because that is a must win.

Believe it or not, already mentioned on another football thread.

2 Likes

I don’t think he’ll prioritise the League Cup match, Bob.

As far as the CL is concerned, the game we absolutely must win is Milan at home. We will, however, still need something at Dortmund, who were extremely impressive last week. A draw there would then, hypothetically, give us 8 points, which may be enough. Time will tell…

Not at all. We’d concluded they were poor and unlikely to survive long before the clown did his clown thing.

A team with a league one striker like McBurnie up front has no chance.

Something to ponder.

20 mins in and still nil nil. Made my day!

Atb
Kk

Oh and we have loads of injuries blah blah blah

1 Like

Ah well he he

Atb
Kk

Wow, what a performance by Man City. Totally frictionless and a joy to watch. There’s the league winners right there.

Man United on the other hand are a rudderless ship. The body language of Fernandez and Antony is disgusting. And how do you spend that much money and have Evans and Maguire in the back four?! It beggars belief and Ten Hag is in trouble…

3 Likes

I predicted earlier that ETH may get the boot before Christmas. I think it’s a strong possibility.

A Prem. league manager, especially at OT, is judged on results. Though ETH may not be the main problem, his head is precariously close to the chopping block.

And I agree with Andy. Fernandez (as Captain, good grief) and Antony were a disgrace.

I’ve just seen ETH’s interview and he’s kidding himself. This is a club who spent £260m on Hojland, Mount and Antony, when Kane and Maddison were available.

I still expect them to beat a weakened Newcastle in the Rumbelows Cup midweek, but if we manage to scrape something, he’ll be in trouble.

I’m just still blown away by how one sided that game was…

1 Like

We are a club in absolute freefall. A few days since Sir Bobby’s demise, today was an absolute disgrace, encapsulated by the behaviour of Fernandes and Antony at the end.
Whilst I do think the penalty was extremely soft, the lack of any sort of positive reaction afterwards was shocking.
City are an amazing team, with an amazing manager. Absolutely everything that ManU are not.
The sooner ETH goes, the better, with at least 50% of the current squad as well.
I have no idea why Jim Ratcliffe wants to be anywhere near this setup, especially with only a 25% stake.

2 Likes

I agree, too. Petulant and unprofessional. I also felt that poor old Mason Mount seems to have lost his way. Almost invisible.

1 Like

From the net…

"Last night - after Spurs toppled Crystal Palace to stay top of the Premier League - pundit Jamie Carragher couldn’t resist bringing up Neville’s comments to Postecoglou.

In a tongue-in-cheek question, he asked: “At the moment you are just copying Pep, aren’t you?”

Playing along, Postecoglou replied: “I just study one game a week and see what he is doing and I go from there!
And you know what, there is nothing wrong with that.”

Neville then jumped in to insist he tried to copy Guardiola during his nightmare spell as Valencia boss. He said: “I tried to copy him.”

Quick as a flash, Postecoglou savaged Neville, as he smirked, “How’d that go?”

And the former Celtic manager wasn’t finished, as his on-air interview finished he exited joking: “I’ll just go and watch Man City…”

Hah !! Gotta love big Ange !

4 Likes

I fully understand the views of @Andyblain and @SteveD about Utd’s performances. I think the pain for us Utd supporters is that last season went so (relatively) well that hopes were higher for this year. So far, the team hasn’t clicked - and it shows.

Where I differ is regarding ETH. I absolutely trust him to get it right and changing manager hasn’t got us anywhere in recent times. People should look again at Sir Alex’s record when he joined the club and the infamous FA Cup tie against Forest. Keeping faith in the manager worked out OK in that case!

I know the game has moved on but ETH has had several player issues to deal with - Ronaldo, Greenwood, Antony and now Sancho. On top of this he has three first choice defenders out with long term injuries and Onana has had so much instability that has contributed to his difficulties settling in. I quite understand why he picked the defence he did against the Cousins.

I know he is paid to deal with problems and some of the transfer dealings have seemed baffling - I would have given everything needed to get Kane but maybe he wouldn’t / couldn’t come to us.

Tickets are still incredibly hard to get so I’m making the long drive to watch the Newcastle game later in the week. We’re on a long road and I have much more confidence in ETH than I ever felt watching teams led by Moyes / van Gaal / Mou.

1 Like

What happened re. Ferguson cannot be used as a reason to keep on with a manager who is not producing the goods. What happened was a rare, once in a blue moon (oops, sorry) situation.

Sure, there are plenty of reasons why ETH has had problems at MU. But I’m sure the other 7 managers who followed Ferguson could claim they suffered from similar.

I don’t think there is anyone on the thread here that says ETH SHOULD be sacked, just that it is now a very strong possibility considering the results. United have lost 25% of all games under ETH - only Moyes had a worse record since Ferguson.

4 Likes

Whilst I don’t think ETH is the only problem, I do think he is a major problem.

• Complete lack of motivational skills.
  • The handling of Sancho situation (maybe not all ETH fault, but certainly some).
  • Lack of any sense of direction or purpose.
  • Lack of any sense of “this is our identity and this is how we play”.
  • Poor recruitment (some before his tenure admittedly).
  • Charmless and delusional when interviewed.
  • Fernandes as captain - really??? Both he and Antony are odious characters.
    etc, etc.
1 Like