English Premier League Season 2023/24

VAR checked three times if they could cancel the goal. They couldn’t. What more do Arsenal want ?

Arteta’s comments were embarrassing and down right rude and offensive towards the officials. He and Arsenal should be ashamed of their behaviour.
He will probably be fined ten bob and a packet of Woodbines.

4 Likes

The fact I wasn’t there makes absolutely no difference to anything Andy I did however watch the match twice once in real time and once in highlights and if you cannot see that Bruno is as guilty as Kai Havertz of foul play twice one forearm smash to the head from behind and the shove in the throat both players got yellow cards job done.

No Arsenal player was booked for time wasting and at the end of the first half only 4 minutes was added for the Havertz booking and the injuries to JoeLinton and Dan Burn and at the end of the second half 8 minutes where added most of which was for the treble VAR fiasco but also the Bruno booking and the many substitutions.

Now onto the goal firstly to all intents and purposes the ball went out of play but fair enough we dont have the tech to decide one way or the other and we didn’t have the camera angle to decide on what to me looked an offside but again fair enough but for the third and most blatant of the three VAR checks the two handed foul on Gabriel which saw him pushed head first into the goal.

Taxi for ar twata

Atb
Kk

The artwata interview has made my weekend! How embarrassing :joy:

Atb
Kk

3 Likes

It really was very, very funny :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

4 Likes

Spot on

Embarrassing hypocrisy.

Hypocrites are everywhere. I mean “woo, let’s all applaud Newcastle for their fairy tale rise from obscurity”.

Not suggesting for a moment it’s better anywhere else.

4 Likes

What a mess cry-baby Arteta left in the changing room after the game…

5 Likes

And yet, and yet, Infantino carries on. Blatant, piss take decisions continue within Fifa. The big technicolour clownfest that is world football these days still shows no sign yet of acknowledging it’s own sewer-like path towards what they must envisage as some kind of beatific glory, yet seems more likely to be a greed induced dive towards self destruction.

The current state of things is clearly ridiculous and no doubt, in my mind at least, is riddled with greed as well as hypocrisy. However while the big leagues, the clubs, players and the broadcasters together with their pundits/employees continue to feather their own nests on the back of it, we just get trite, lip service type commentary from all of those above.

It’s not just football either imo, it’s similar in other sports. The Olympics has become an event akin to a Vegas style month of showtime. F1 is a hypocritical parody on so many levels it’s unreal.

The gentleman’s game that is Rugby Union has been revealing the fissures of a sporting edifice being built on debt and fake wealth for a while now, with yet more of those involved being found out to be anything but gentlemen and frankly, bent.

Grrr.

6 Likes

Arsenal club statement reads: “Arsenal wholeheartedly supports Mikel Arteta’s post-match comments after yet more unacceptable refereeing and VAR errors on Saturday evening…”

For an official club statement, that is disgusting.

The fact that they don’t agree with the decisions made by VAR (after carefully evaluating each situation) does not mean that there were ‘errors’. Arsenal’s view of the incidents is not ‘fact’. It’s just their obviously biased opinion.

The ball was deemed not out of play (Arsenal fans need to learn what shape a football is), there was no foul and there was no offside. No error was made, VAR made a judgement.

What a horrid little club (oh, that’s my opinion too…) …

2 Likes

If that’s true, I completely agree. Regardless of the merits of the particular incident that Arteta whinged about, what sort of example does that set for supporters, players, coaching staff etc etc? A club of Arsenal’s stature and history should know better. The top officials of the club should be thinking about standards and reputation of the game and the club, not pandering to a burst of petulance by their manager.

4 Likes

It’s on the Beeb site MDS…

Arsenal want ‘urgent’ PGMOL action on refereeing after Newcastle VAR controversy - BBC Sport

Appalling.

Arsenal are the new Liverpool. Always the victim….

Atb
Kk

7 Likes

Nicely put.

It’s only a matter of time before American and, to a lesser extent, Middle Eastern money in the “English” Premier League has its way with football. I’m sure we will see the NFL-isation of the game. No relegation, messing even more with the laws (which are already a shambles), turning clubs into moveable “franchises”, etc.

The EPL is a triumph of marketing and slick television. It’s a disaster for the game, aided and abetted by Fifa.

But it’s not just the EPL and, as you say, it’s not just football.

The SPFL has neither marketing nor slick television, but is still a disaster.
Football has been globalized and suffers from the worst effects of capitalism (and I’m saying that as an unrepentant capitalist.) Been thinking about @Andyblain and his distinction between fans and supporters. In a sense he’s right, though it is deeper than whether or not you attend games.

That’s a break away goal right out of the top drawer there Luton. Under dogs have been excellent tbf. Deserve to hold on but will they? [edit: sadly they didn’t]

1 Like

No arguments from me.

It was a real shame at the end. We held Liverpool at a distance and made them struggle (the stats were still heavily in their favour but we are used to that). Scoring a goal that late you really hope that you can just see the game out but 8 minutes of added time was just a stretch. Shame, 3 points would have been brilliant but the atmosphere was absolutely top notch. £150 million summer spend versus a £20 million spend. Seeing how they played tonight then I don’t imagine Liverpool troubling the top of the table. For us it is another point in the bag in our fight to stay up.

11 Likes