English Premier League Season 2023/24

At least there were some signs of life yesterday. It was an excellent 40 minutes, but then everything was ruined by VAR. And we have never been good at defending with 10 men.

1 Like

Headline from the Beeb…

‘VAR has got out of control’ - Man Utd lose again on chaotic night in Copenhagen

Gives you the impression a United player or coach said VAR has got out of control.
It was actually a quote from TV studio hack Owen Hargreaves !

Terrible journalism.

Another bizarre game. Great first 40 minutes, then the VAR madness. Great first 20 minutes in second half, then more VAR madness, then defending madness.
Given that none of the commentators made any reference to Rashford’s challenge until the game stopped indicates that in real time there was nothing to be concerned about. The freeze frame approach always makes things look much worse than they really are. The first penalty was soft, the second even softer.
Undoubtedly the sending off significantly affected the game. However, United should have closed it out for the draw if not the win. Bissaka’s and Varane’s woeful passes were both punished.

2 Likes

I think that’s the difference @SteveD ANY mistakes are punished at that level. At Dortmund, we did okay but a quality team exposed our weaknesses.

Still, I was proud and it was a great trip. Dortmund is the friendliest away trip I’ve ever been on. Extremely hospitable people. A bit of a contrast to Milan.

It’s difficult for us now, but the equation is clear - No wins and we finish bottom, 2 wins and we get into the knock-out stages, 1 win and we get into the Europa thing. Time will tell…

4 Likes

As this is the first time in Europe for many of the team and manager, the Europa thing might be a good experience

1 Like

You’re right on the experience point Ian. I’m a bit torn, but thats just due to our current plight with injuries. I do think there’s a good chance we’ll beat Milan at home, but PSG away will be tough.

That makes us going into the Europa a strong possibility. On balance, that would be a reasonable outcome and I don’t want to finish bottom of the group…

3 Likes

Once a team loses a man in European football it usually ends in a loss. The great Barcelona team always liked playing against 10 or 9. Their sickening diving and hounding the ref put me off watching them. Great team for sure and even greater v 9!

Atb
Kk

1 Like

Leo Trossard came in for the injured Nketiah and was the closest back up we have to the injured Gabriel Jesus.

Eddie Nketiah is more of a ‘fox in the box’ type attacker which doesn’t really fit Arteta’s 4-3-3 as much as both Jesus and Trossard’s false 9 role.

The decision to award Newcastle United’s winning goal against Arsenal was correct, according to the Premier League’s Key Match Incidents panel.

The five-person panel, which includes three former players and/or coaches, decided there was insufficient evidence to overrule the on-field decision to award Anthony Gordon’s goal.

Cue somebody’s dummy being thrown out of his pram.

Horrid little club.

It was always a goal. The only issue really was that it took so long for the poorly designed VAR process to determine the same.

Officials couldn’t see whether the ball was out of play. You can’t give what you sent see. That’s life. The alleged offside was not clear cut so… again. The alleged push was laughable. Was he touched? Yes. Would it ever produce that outcome? Only after rehearsal.

Wouldn’t want to single the clown out. There’s loads of them at it at that level and, having made it so difficult for officials, they’re all whining now they’re getting the erratics decisions the play acting deserves.

I agree totally, Mike.

However, as regards singling the clown out, well, not many people know this ( :grinning:) but I’m a Spurs fan… so I will ‘single’…

IT WAS ARSENAL’S GABRIEL WHO WAS PLAY ACTING !!!

There. I feel better for that… :grinning:

1 Like

As a neutral watching, I was asking myself how Arsenal ended-up with such slim and ineffectual defensive cover (Gordon unmarked in the 6yd box!), the ball having spent many seconds heading towards the corner flag, and several more seconds before it was crossed back in. If you play like this and don’t work back/cover, just assume the ball was running out(?), these things go against you…and so they did. As the cricket phrase goes ‘it’s in the book’, how it happened isn’t explained :grin:

2 Likes

Arsenal assumed the ball was going out I think, switched off and paid the price. I expect that’s why Arteta was so angry, he knew his players let themselves down. That said, anywhere else on the pitch I reckon the ‘push’ earns a free kick. Personally never wanted VAR, still don’t. A real benefit of playing in the championship.

Nobody has mentioned the role Raya played in the goal (or didn’t play). What a flapper! Any decent goalie catches/punches that.

The Arteta rant was absolutely priceless. I haven’t laughed as much for ages :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

But, but, but, Bob told me Spurs were stupid when buying Vicario instead of wonderboy Raya…

Of course he didn’t realise that we actually turned Raya down. :rofl:

This from the Beeb made me chortle…

“Ratcliffe, who says he is a lifelong United fan, tried and failed to buy Chelsea last year”

:rofl:

1 Like

Hah !!! According to the Beeb, it looks like the hypocrite whiney coach of the Squatters is grovelling around Ramsdale, to save his face now that the Raya experiment failed. In fact, he even ‘warns’ Ramsdale…

If I was Ramsdale, I would tell him to go do one.

Horrid little club.

If anybody has played the game a bit, and you have your own boots, and you are doing nothing this afternoon, can you give Ange a ring.

Preferably if you have played in defence in the past.

1 Like

I used to play left back and left CB. Last played in 1986 though. Hamstrings might be too tight. And knees …. And back …. And hips ….

You’ll do !!