English Premier League Season 2023/24

…but was the ref in complete error? You see him look up and Grealish has 3 defenders around him, so the % chance of a definitive advantage was low, bearing in mind:

a- players often bawl at the ref for not giving free kicks, even for the slightest touch.
b- in this area of the pitch, you couldn’t viably bring the advantage back.

It just so happened that Haaland played a wonderful ball to Grealish. Chances of that?

Blaming the ref here is OTT IMHO.

1 Like

Yes he was in complete error.

He initially played advantage, and then blew his whistle at a point when City had an even greater advantage. Inexplicable. A total error.

The referee will have known that instantly, as the fourth official did, judging by his face. These things happen, but it was inarguably a bad mistake.

3 Likes

So was missing an open goal from ten metres , it wasn’t just the ref that messed up

People goof, my concern was the way that Haarland behaved - we see notices countless times that people expect to do their job without receiving abuse , and Haarland should have the same degree of self - control that the rest of us are.

Today I am delivering a serious complaint to a building society , I will do it with a smile and try and treat people as they like to be treated

4 Likes

Apparently Man U are now banning some journalists from its news conference, including Sky. Desperate stuff. Will that really help United management make their case that all’s well behind the scenes? Perhaps they’ve engaged a public relations officer from Putin’s team.

1 Like

16 Likes

Hatters giving the Arse a game. Come on Luton!

1 Like

I love an underdog, this game much more interesting than the Wolves match.

1 Like

Arsenal are so bloody spawny!!!

You have to feel for Luton, losing it right at the death when they had battled so hard against a clearly superior Arsenal side. I think Raya owes Rice a beer or two because Raya was very, very nearly responsible for the loss of 2 points.

1 Like

Declan ‘Roy of the Rovers’ Rice sends the Mighty Arsenal 5 points clear.

Not luck superiority.

I’m not just saying this because Raya has had a howler tonight and to blame him takes away the plaudits that Luton Town fully deserve but don’t be surprised if Arsenal have a totally different keeper other than Raya or Ramsdale in the next season or two.

And a special mention for the German Giraffe… 65 million down the drain Kai Havertz scored again.

1 Like

It’s definitely pronounced Luon.

1 Like

Absolutely gutted. It felt like ‘ok, we play until Arsenal score’. 6 minutes of added time and the goal is in the 97th minute?!? so our patched together side (half of our defence & midfield currently injured) is enough to go toe to toe with the league leaders. Some massive defensive errors from us for the Arsenal goals and must do better when under huge pressure as we were for the final 15 minutes (i.e. just get rid or at least pass to one of your team mates). Still proud of all that we continue to achieve but we could have done with a point, especially with City on Sunday & then Newcastle, Chelsea…

2 Likes

Well done Paul your team was exceptional and played with extreme heart but you can’t talk about your defensive errors being a deciding factor without mentioning the same for Arsenal two of your goals weren’t goals without Arsenal’s huge defensive errors.

Having said that your second choice striker who scored gave Saliba and Gabriel more problems than Erling Haaland, Gabriel Osho was man of the match, your keeper has kept you in it with two brilliant saves and I thought Ross Barkley was excellent in that deeper role.

You have an excellent young coach and a well thought out big squad assembled on a budget unfortunately you just fell short against a team battling for an historic first title in 20 years who refuse to loose these matches.

I know you’re going to be moving grounds in the next couple of years but if your crowd gets behind you like that against the mid and bottom of the table teams when your playing at home you could easily stay up. Well done.

1 Like

I’ve no doubt Luon were always the best equipped to stay up of the three promoted teams. They still might not but they have everything in place to do so.

With regard to Arsenal there has been much talk this season of them not being this or not being that in comparison to last season or comparison to their rivals. Anyone who has seen their team win a title will know that last night was exactly the sort of night which wins you a title. That’s not to say they will but there can be little doubt they’re in the mix.

2 Likes

Make that just a goalkeeper…

1 Like

Has Kai Havertz’s Arsenal career finally turned a corned 3 goals in 4 and but for Rice’s last gasp winner a Man of the Match display last night.

Thanks Bob, I really appreciate your insight into last night. It is very difficult for me to be anything but biased (as we all are :grin:) - at the ground everything passes in a blur & on times you need the TV replay to actually remove some of the emotion. You put us under huge pressure in the last 15 - I think largely because our manager had taken off the two guys who were pressing your defence. The loss of three points (or even one) in games such as these where we have competed does hurt but I am happy how we are coping, the team is a cohesive unit and we won’t go without a fight. Well done on the victory, it has to be deserved when the opposition puts 3 past you and you push to the end - I also agree with your defender comments! two dodgy defences :laughing:

2 Likes

Can’t believe I’m freezing my arse off to see this dross from Palace at Selhurst :angry:

3 Likes