Epos ES14 Anyone?

In my office I have them fairly close to the wall (about half a foot out). I don’t like the bungs so much, but find that straws are fine. The bass is never going to be as tightly controlled as something like SBLs or SL2s - indeed, it’s miles away from these two in such confines. They are probably less than ideal in my space which is why I tend to swap back and forth between these and Kans.

1 Like

Yes, they need room to breath. I’ve just measured mine and they are currently just over 18 inches (about 48 cm) from the back wall surface. Bungs out.

I’ve tried all the options over the years. Bungs in. Bung out. Straws. Different distances from rear boundary, etc. We’ve just been through the whole exercise again, (when we moved into our new house here, a few months back). For me, around 18 inches “sounds” about right for every day use.

Occasionally, they are moved further into the room - maybe about a metre - and this probably reduces interactions with boundaries to a minimum.

From memory, all the rooms we have used them in, they seem to sound best at about 18-20 inches (around 50cm). I’m more than happy to move them backwards (when not in use much) and forwards (for a nice listening session).

Always admired the Epos ES11 too. A friend had a pair which worked really well in a more modest room.

Thanks for feedback on the recent updates.

questionable opinion, my friend…

1 Like

Interesting article on the pursuit of the perfect system website which includes more details on the design of the new Epos es14n speakers including is…

“The massive metal plate of the tweeter is only touching the cabinet on 4 points around the screws (idea taken from Roy George of NAIM with his blessing) to reduce a transfer of energy between tweeter and cabinet baffle. The tweeter has its own cavity in the cabinet”.

Sounds like it could be a great speaker just hope they rethink the finish options as Matt black or white doesn’t appeal at all.

That was my system in 1990 except I had a 62. Takes me back…Lovely system

1 Like

It takes us (myself and my best friend wife) back to that time too.

In some small way the idea for this system is a homage to that period. A very happy time for the two of us.

We already had the LP12 and Epos ES14’s, which were both from later 80’s. So we recently went looking for Olive shoe boxes to complete this “period” hifi.

Full story for Project Olive is here…

We love listening to records and this is how we do that now.

For example, we had a lovely dinner party last night. After supper, four of us sat and listened to records until the small hours.

Lou Reed - Kate Bush - George Michael - Ella Fitzgerald - to name a few played last night. Each person taking a turn to pick a record and plonk it in the record player. It’s a lot of fun playing music with close friends.

3 Likes

I did the same staws were far better than the foam bung…an open port is best…but…then you need to let the ES14 breathe … how do you find the Kans compare?

1 Like

They had a variety of finishes last time I attended.
I may getting used to the looks, but the price…ermm

There’s a recent interview with Karl-Heinz Fink on the Sound Stage Network Youtube channel discussing the new ES14 in depth, and also potential future models they have planned. Bodes well from the discussion, and Naim are also referenced as a positive influence on KHF as well, which I thought interesting. A little long, but worth dipping in and out of during a coffee break…

There’s also a new Epos website too, with much more detail.

5 Likes

Epos ES14s were my first grown-up speakers and the first that I owned with a cabinet stronger than the cardboard box they came in! I now use Epos M12s but I miss the extra meat of the 14s I think. These new ‘versions’ appear to have a larger capacity and may give me what I am after, so I was super-chuffed this week when my dealer suggested he may be carrying them. I realise they have little to do with the originals but I have Fink’s smaller and quite pricey Kims on my shortlist; these new-age Epos are not going to cost $20k…

1 Like

KHF seem to be a clever loudspeaker designer and at the same time a clever marketer.
Former owner of Q.Acoustics, good cheap loudspeakers.

Somehow he managed to buy the Epos brand, release ES14n which sound nothing like the original ES14.
They doesn’t even look the same.

The new one cost up there too high.

I’ve not seen any reviews on the ‘new’ versions yet, and I’m not aware of their distribution in the UK so far.
Curious to know how their sound differs from the originals?

1 Like

That’s the question?

As he’s heard them, I was hoping @PerF could elucidate (ohh err missus).

I heard them in Munich, sounded rather great being an exhibition.
Unknown for me electronics.
They performed tight and coherent, quite forward with lots of prat but not very dynamic or involving.
Nothing deviated like uncontrolled bas or splashy highs.
With something like €4500 asking price I’m not really tempted to try home even some unknown conditions as described.

They could have chosed any other brand name and number on the front, I wouldn’t think of original ES14 by hearing or looking.

Maybe the high price reflects a new trend a’la Mission 770 marketing.(which however looks identically to old version)

1 Like

This is the problem with auditioning new speakers isn’t it? They could be the greatest pair of speakers in the world, faithfully reproducing the sound from the source and amplifiers they’re used with. Until they’re fed by a known quantity it’s impossible to know.
I wonder if they’ll be on demonstration at the Ascot show? :thinking:

2 Likes

So, after much deliberation, I have decided to go audition some speaker alternatives for my ES14’s. It’s really out of curiosity more than anything, but i’ve had them since 1992 and really want to know what a modern day speaker will sound like now that i’ve got my system where i want it.

Going to be listening to PMC and Spendor (A series) plus maybe one or two others. No idea what to expect in terms of different sound from the Epos’s, but I do know that for my budget (circa £3.5k) they will need to be pretty amazing to replace the 14’s.

Here’s hoping (or not!).

2 Likes

Please do share your findings…
In particular any direct comparison with your existing ES14’s

Good luck

2 Likes

I struggled on that journey some years back. There’s something about the verve and drive of the original ES14 that is hard to beat ime.

Good luck!

G

4 Likes

Will do. 12th September is the day.

2 Likes