Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

An alternative is a HP Procurve 408…might be cheaper…sounds much better than my netgear switch.

3 Likes

Yes it could. I also think that I am lucky with my electricity supply - ours is the only house on a transformer at the top of a pole just outside. OTOH I use ethernet over mains, which is supposed to be pretty bad.

It is - heard that demonstrated to me. The guy wanted a neat solution - complained about harsher sound than his Dealer demo - strung a temporary proper Ethernet cable - and the ‘over-mains’ days for the Ethernet were numbered - a low number! :slightly_smiling_face:

It works, but the extra noise it puts onto the mains is seen by everything else including the HiFi and it works better without having that to handle.

DB.

@TimOopNorth
It’s an interesting beast. I use to have the Melco N10 direct into the NDX2 but it actually sounds better to my ears via the S100. I’ve been using the optical about 6 weeks it adds added extra depth an clarity when using Roonand it has a similar effect on streamed Qobuz. The Cisco switch is still in the loop for the outputs to Bluenodes, tried it without and missed a little subtlety. Is it worth what it costs, the only way is to test one at home, this is not an at the dealer test. If it fresh out of the box give it 50 hours continuous play for it to start to work some magic, thought optical cable do not change in my experience but I guess the sfp modules do (mine are well run in Cisco GLC-SX-MMD from my works IT dept.). Before anybody asks why the Melco costs more than the Naim, I came to this set up from completely pc based audio on a very high end pc to a DAC, converted to the grandsons gaming pc! So for me this is source first.

(sorry about the dust on the lower shelves, the things at the top are weather stations, everthing below is AV kit.)

2 Likes

I might try turning the ethernet over mains off. Easy enough to do - the HiFi/Server/switch don’t need it.

I’d go with one of the PD variants so you have an external PS.

I’m currently using:

WS-C2960CPD-8PT-L
WS-C2960CPD-8TT-L

I am using the 8PT-L to send POE to the 8TT-L to avoid needing a power supply. And the 8TT-L is the switch I have my NAS and streamer on.

A big improvement over the older blue 2960 8TL models.

Out of curiosity, what software on the PC, what output to the DAC, and what DAC?

In my experience the DAC is a far more significant as source component than the renderer (though of course latter and connections etc can have an effect, sometimes significant).

1 Like

Thanks Peter! Interesting read

For @Peder: Where I spent my day, not thinking about a single switch or cable, skiing moguls forty minutes from the house. Wonderful.

5 Likes

Indeed, not only are there significant electrical noise issues with powerline adapters, they also don’t offer Ethernet… so it is NOT Ethernet over the mains (and note it is not formally described as that)… and therefore will not perform and behave as duplex Ethernet potentially causing issues for optimised equipment.
At best it’s a network bridge … and worst a desperate consumer kludge when no other method of basic minimalistic connectivity works.

1 Like

The word boutique surely is insulting if it’s used to suggest that someone with more money than sense has been ripped off for lots of £ by a shop that portrays itself as ‘high end’ - i.e. selling a pair of shoes or an ethernet cable for thousands of pounds.
This means the person who ‘fell for the trick’ is a sucker.

That’s why Peder finds it insulting.

But taking offense simply encourages people to use the trigger word again.

That’s going to keep the system going ad infinitum, until someone cracks!

1 Like

Everything is an autopoietic system.

Those pesky little quanta have a strange ability to “organizize” themselves into rather large assemblages.

1 Like

Although certain people might have their own sensibilities for whatever reason, boutique cables is a term in fairly common parlance, just put into google … click images… and you see pictures of many high end boutique cables…
Some high end retailers even seem to ‘catch’ the term in search results to get hits…

2 Likes

Also for @Peder and tweakers… an afternoon’s walk away from hifi not so far from my brother’s house in Switzerland… wonderful… though I forget how hard walking in snow is over any distance…

14 Likes

I only use the ethernet over mains for transferring files from one place to another. While the music is being played the connection is from the server PC to a Cisco switch, and from that to the NDX. So that is true Ethernet. I could turn off the ethernet over mains (and will try that this evening, probably).

Hi Simon,

This is Oeschinensee, just above Kandersteg :smiley:

I hope you’re enjoying your stay in Switzerland.

Kandersteg is my ice-climbing playground.

I january, I usually spend my weekends climbing on the Oeschinenwald’s ice falls.

Unfortunately it is not an usual January…

Me leading the first pitch of the “Ratten Pissoir” (Kandersteg, Oeschinenwald) three years ago.

Kandersteg is really a very nice little swiss village. The perfect place in winter to go for a walk, skiing, tobogganing and of cours ice climbing

This takes us quite far from the HiFi and cabling craze. Not so bad I suppose :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a very long Ethernet cable you’re trailing behind you (to keep this on topic!). :rofl:

7 Likes

This is not one but two strands of rope. It’s a 60 meters double-rope.
That makes a very very long Ethernet cable (120m), out of specs!
For such a cable we need some very special switchs :rofl:

1 Like

Congratulations caller, it is indeed :grinning:

And am back in England now… yes always enjoy staying with my brothers.
Yes Kandersteg caters for most… just a little tame for my nephew who is a keen snow boarder… fantastic for an afternoon’s walking… although we take the cable car up…

1 Like

It was a water cooled i7 processing pc with damped drives and a Hdpelx external linear power supply, highspec shielded wires. A second low power i5 controlled playback with a SOtM tX-USBexp USB out with its own external linear power supply. Out to a Sonore USBexD DAC. It used Jplay it was a bit tricky to setup but worked a treat.