Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

For even inkier blackness, suggest you try a small octopus instead of a spider.

2 Likes

I thought about that, but you’d either only have the inky blackness for a short time (while the octopus is out of the water) or you’d have to run the cable through the octopus’s tank and that would risk the sound becoming over damped and loosing vitality.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@DanielH,…It will be interesting to take part of,.because GS105 and GS108 are the same, except that GS108 have three sockets more.

For several years ago we found a switch that was better than GS108T.
This switch,.forgot the name,was then exchanged for a Cisco 2960 which was significantly better.

So if you compare Uptone EtherRegen…against GS105,then I get a pretty clear picture of how Uptone EtherRegen perform against a Cisco 2960.
Interesting :+1:t2::smiley:.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

When I tried the Cinnamon compared to my BJC there was so little difference, if anything the Cinnamon was a tad brighter but it was not worth caring about. So I stuck with my BJC and saved the money for something else worth bothering about. This ended my interest in trying or swapping cables. I just dont see the point.

4 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@garyi,…:dizzy_face::dizzy_face: Now I get a little surprised,.I have NEVER said what you claim.??

However,.I think most here on the forum know,which has a deeper knowledge in music-system optimization.
That the infrastructure around your music-system is crucial,.to how the system performs.
In other words,.try to give your music-system so optimal external conditions as possible.

There,.dedicated mains,powercables,.powerblocks etc,etc will have significance.

:small_orange_diamond:I put in comments from another thread,.where Hungryhalibut and NigelB has upgrading their powerblocks.
@anon4489532 and @NigelB wrote…

“It is worth £300? On first listen, I’d say definitely yes. It’s more of the same really, but surprisingly more. Even more detail and insight into the performance, yet it all holds together coherently. It’s really rather good.”

“Bl**dy hell! How is it possible for a bit of plastic to make such a difference?! No, not ‘night and day’, nor ‘different league’, but not subtle either.
This ‘hobby’ of mine never ceases to amaze me.”

• Garyi,.As I said,.and as also Hungryhalibut and NigelB confirms above…infrastructure around your music-system is crucial,.to how the system performs.

And Garyi,.If you look in my profile,.I have described a bit about my equipment and experience and knowledge.
More just than that,.I don’t want to be on an open forum,this because of the risk of burglary.

I use my real name,.and Sweden is small,and many in hifi-Sweden know who I am.
A friend of mine had burglaries a few years ago,.and got rid of all his music-system.

But Garyi,.you have not written Anything in your profile :wink:.

/Peder🙂

As promised the Connectix Cables Test results…

Conditions:
All cables are 5m length
Cables run from a Cisco 2960G-8TC-L to a Naim NAC-N272
Only tested in the EMI / RFI electrical environment of my house
These results are specific to the above conditions and my not be applicable outside of these precise conditions.
These tests don’t indicate any characteristic of the cables themselves, rather they show how the noise shaping within the cable affects the 272. N.B. a part of this noise is environmental, local to my house, even other users with a Cisco 2960 switch and a 272 may well get different results - there’s no guarantee of consistency!

Startech Cat6 UTP
Reference Cable to which others are compared.

Chord C-Stream Cat7 SFTP
Lacked clarity, muddled background, loss of resolution, some loss of ‘emotional’ sense.

Connectix Cables Cat5e UTP
Softer presentation, but still ‘clean’ (unlike all the shielded cables I’ve tried), some loss of ‘emotional’ sense.

Connectix Cables Cat6 UTP
slightly crisper overall presentation, slightly more ‘bite’, greater emotional connection with no loss of delicacy or detail or change to background (no more and no less inky!)

Conclusion:
I was slightly disappointed that the certified Cat5e UTP gave less good results compared to a cheapo Cat6 UTP; but that’s OK, the certified Connectix Cat6 isn’t that much more expensive than the cheapo Cat6 UTP (about 25%).
I hear a small but quite noticeable improvement from the Connectix Cables Cat6 UTP, so it’s staying!

Just a reminder… YMMV (actually it probably will!).

7 Likes

Peder, are you using perhaps linn kdsm, 2X tundra monos and M40?

:small_blue_diamond:@Roog,…Exactly,.that’s why this forum is so good :stuck_out_tongue::+1:t2:.

Here can they who test, try, evaluate,.share their impressions and results with others.
Those who do not have the opportunity to do so,.can only “pick the candy” from the table,as we say in Sweden.

But,.that which is boring…
Is,.that it is not uncommon for those who contribute with this,.that sometimes they be treated a little bit arrogant, ironical,and even mocking posts.
I remember that a while ago,.@Darkebear was really annoyed at this.
If I remember correctly,.he also deleted his informative posts.

And that’s boring,.because Darkebear has great detail-knowledge about music system-installation.
I personally have great exchange of his writes,.when he tests and tries at a level where I am myself.

• As an example: When I report a result,.as a friend of mine has spent many,many hours to come up with.
Namely,.which rubber-feet sound best during a Cisco 2960 in his hifi-rack.

Then its not nice to be met by comments that…

• and if people want to listen to different feet on a Cisco router then fine. I leave them to it.

•Changing the feet on a Cisco switch is as bizarre to me as anything Peter Belt suggested.

These two posts above,.I perceive as arrogant,ironical and mocking.
If you are not interested,.there is no need to comment,especially not as here in the example above.

But this thread has so far been good,.except for a few exceptions.
Just wanted to take it up now,.when I still wrote.

Nice Saturday night…
/Peder🙂

2 Likes

I try to do a similar comparison when my new BJC Cat6 arrives
Problem is stretching 2m to reach 3m to the NDX.
If I can get it done, it’ll be Meicord Cat6, BJC Cat6 & Lindy Cat6

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@Xanthe,…I share your experience of this cable.

I have a 0.75 and a 1,5m that has been in the box for three years.
But a friend,.who has a smaller high-resolution system,where it works better.
They are cheap,.so as usual…try it yourself if you are interested.

/Peder🙂

Peder, so far, in my system every screened cable I’ve tried has been significantly worse than even basic Cat5e UTP cables.

3 Likes

Screened Ethernet has its uses and is indeed critical in some applications. In the domestic audio world it’s just not needed and can introduce other issues.

2 Likes

I’ve found only the short screened 1.5m cable between Melco and ND555 was a definite improvement - and it does have its own ‘sound’ - but overall it was a significant improvement, but a lot of care was needed to get that.
Elsewhere I find Cat5e and even old Cat5 better - I get the impression I’m tuning an RF circuit and this is nothing to do with the data domain as such but the noise on the line.

Screening can keep noise in the cable if it originates in a box feeding the cable, which a lot or most of it will, so it does not surprise me totally that not concentrating it into a focused ‘noise-pipe’ and injecting it all into the HiFi source may have issues.

Screens work both ways keep-out and keep-in and normally the latter is overlooked. With analogue signal it is correct to overlook it as it should be quiet - but a lot of digital noise can find its way through the system via lots of ways.

DB.

Irrespective of the results, has your measuring equipment been calibrated against a known standard? :joy::joy::joy:

I’ve observed similar so far. I’ve noticed I don’t get as fatigued (less harsh high frequencies) at higher volumes with the BJC. I’ll swap the Cinnamons back in at some point for a better comparison. It’s a fun experiment and if nothing else demonstrating expensive boutique data cables aren’t necessary to good performance.

2 Likes

Yes, by an audiologist!
:stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

1 Like

cinnamon are not expensive…At the level of the vodka it begins to be expensive.

I do n’t want to pore cold water on the new feet debate. But if you look at your Cisco it has holes for computer rack mounting. A new Naim black box ment no rack space so I mounted the Cisco on the wall benind the rack away from the mains sockets. It lets the ethernet cables (AQ cinnamon in my case) hang freely to and from the nas and NDX2. First impression was more base clarity, give that a try and see what you make of the sound.

4 Likes

Are you sure about that!!?

5 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@ChrisSU,…:grin::joy::grin: Just Love It…

This picture goes contrary to TiberioMagadino’s confident statement😄.

/Peder🙂