Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I have difficulties to borrow from dealers so I buy from internet. Expensive cables yes but I always have the possibility to return and get a refund if I do not think “cost/benefit” is there.

1 Like

I will buy 2 power cords from Vertere. The new Redline. I am curious to see how they match Naim powerline. Same price level.

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@anon35279323,…It will be interesting to take part of.

Vertere makes good products,.so it will be exciting to take part of your impressions.
I read on a bit about this powercable,.see below…

• Vertere Redline powercable.

Vertere Redline Mains Power-Cable,.is a reference product ideal for powering any hi-fi system component.

Based on the Pulse-HB Mains Power-Cable,.the Redline utilises Vertere proprietary Multi conductor construction for both Live and Neutral conductors.
These are individually double shielded with an additional overall shield covering Live, Neutral and Earth conductors to further enhance performance.

From milliamps to 15 amps,.this extraordinary mains power cable ensures optimum performance from almost any hi-fi equipment.

Redline Mains Power-Cable is available with special gold plated Vertere connectors for UK, Europe, US and Australian mains supply with termination to standard IEC.

Specifications

•Type / Description
Mains Power Cable

•Termination and Length
Vertere Redline UK, EU, US, AUS & IEC

•Cable Type
x19 Conductors, Vertere Pulse Multi Type
x1 Ground, x9 Live, x9 Neutral

•Conductor
High Purity Copper

•Plating
Silver, Tin

•Insulation
FEP, Special PVC

•Shield
Main Outer Braid
Live and Neutral – Individual Braid + Inner

•Special Wrap
Size
2.00m – Additional lengths in 0.5m steps
11.8mm cable diam

/Peder🙂

Thanks, yes I saw it. Vertere has another power cord for £2000 but that is far over my budget. I think I will order them mid next week.
I am still think if it will be an additional identical Cisco or the one with PS.

1 Like

Yes indeed, is this a sign of movement over to the techie-side?
Its a shame Vertere don’t publish the conductor size, the spec sheet just needs that one more line
The multi-strand construction they have with L & N looks interesting.

Audioquest diamond specs

12m

FEATURESREVIEWS

GEOMETRY STABILIZING SOLID HIGH-DENSITY POLYETHYLENE INSULATION
SOLID PERFECT-SURFACE SILVER (PSS) CONDUCTORS

Perfect-Surface Technology applied to extreme-purity silver provides unprecedented clarity and dynamic contrast. Perfect-Surface Silver (PSS) is AudioQuest’s highest-quality metal. Solid conductors prevent strand interaction, a major source of cable distortion. Extremely high-purity Perfect-Surface Silver minimizes distortion caused by the grain boundaries that exist within any metal conductor, nearly eliminating harshness and greatly increasing clarity compared to OFHC, OCC, 8N and other coppers.

HIGH-SPEED DATA CAPACITY

The Cat 7 cable standard has been created to allow 10-Gigabit Ethernet over 100 m of copper cabling.

ALL CONDUCTORS CONTROLLED FOR RF NOISE DIRECTIONALITY
PRECISION-MADE LOW-LOSS ULTRA-WIDE BANDWIDTH CONNECTORS WITH 100% SHIELD COVERAGE AND STRAIN RELIEF
CARBON-BASED 3-LAYER NOISE-DISSIPATION SYSTEM (NDS)

It’s easy to accomplish 100% shield coverage. Preventing captured Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) from modulating the equipment’s ground reference requires AQ’s Noise-Dissipation System (NDS). Traditional shield systems typically absorb and then drain noise/RF energy to component ground, modulating and distorting the critical “reference” ground plane, which in turn causes a distortion of the signal. NDS’s alternating layers of metal and carbon-loaded synthetics “shield the shield,” absorbing and reflecting most of this noise/RF energy before it reaches the layer attached to ground.

DIELECTRIC-BIAS SYSTEM WITH RADIO FREQUENCY TRAP

All insulation between two or more conductors is also a dielectric whose properties will affect the integrity of the signal. When the dielectric is unbiased, dielectric-involvement (absorption and non-linear release of energy) causes different amounts of time delay (phase shift) for different frequencies and energy levels, which is a real problem for very time-sensitive multi-octave audio. The inclusion of an RF Trap (developed for AudioQuest’s Niagara Series of power products), ensures that radio frequency noise will not be induced into the signal conductors from the DBS fie

:small_blue_diamond::grin::+1:,…But as usual,.it says nothing about how it (powercable),performs in the music system.

:small_blue_diamond:@anon35279323,…

1. I am really looking forward to taking part in this,.your journey with these cables :smiley::+1:t2:.

2. I wonder if anyone can answer this right now.

We can of course speculate,.as I did in my long post (No. 2769),when I wanted to “highlight” these reflections.
Some here have already bought PD2960,.one of them is @Michaelb.
But now I read that he should be gone for three weeks.
So we’ll probably have to wait for his comments on this.
The other @charlesphoto is still here :smiley:.

As I wrote earlier,.I believe in creating synergy is important,but in this case we do not know.

I just know that two Cisco C2960-8TC-L was Wow,Wow :+1:t2::stuck_out_tongue:.
As well as logically,.if you should have a Cisco C2960-8TC-L,and a Cisco PD2960.
Well,.then should probably Cisco PD2960 be placed closest to the streamer.

•But this is so far,.before anyone tested this,just speculation.

We can hope that a few more respond to…
:small_orange_diamond:posts No 2769.
So that we get some more thoughts about this.

/Peder🙂

Sorry FR, they’re not spec’s - it’s just a pile of words of wonderment, marketing BS.

2 Likes

OK, that’s a good principle.

All of which is totally irrelevant for digital signal transmission.

Unfortunately in tests the higher end AQ streaming cables consistently fail to meet the Cat 7 standards, so this claim is meaningless.

If the conductors themselves are directional at RF, then they are behaving as inefficient diodes - this isn’t good for signal integrity!

OK.

If the noise (RF is going to be damped then as the steepness of the digital transitions are by necessity high frequency components, this will reduce the steepness of the digital transitions and hence increase jitter - not a good idea!

Also not a good idea, see above for reason.

All in all if the ‘features’ actually worked as described it would result in a cable that very sub optimal for Ethernet data transmission (which I thought was the intent of this cable - but I may be wrong! :thinking: ).

4 Likes

Peder,

Keep in mind the Cisco 2960PD I have is being powered by a 50ft Amazon ‘Cable Matters’ Cat 6 ethernet cable from another newer 2960-PS which supplies poE power, so no idea about the external power adapters Michaelb is using. But bass is better, and more small details I never thought I could hear with a 1st version Unitiqute and near field Ls50’s. Easy to get lost in the music (and no work done!). I may bite the bullet and get some BJC to replace the Amazon cable, but I’d have to figure out how the best way to get from point a to b and really measure it out so as to make it as short as possible. I was using the 2960PS-16 SFP to the SFP of a 2960-8tc-L as I could easily run the fiber under carpet squares for a more direct route, but the PD switch with no internal SMPS and entirely disconnected from the mains sounds better. Adding the 8-TC-L after it didn’t bring any improvement.

One would think carrying both data and power over the same cable would have a detrimental effect, but not what I’m hearing. Of course not many will have a Cisco or other pro switch that can supply power to another switch.

1 Like

I prefer not to comment, first because I have no background for and secondly because I doubt audioquest adopts irrelevant solutions.
But comments from Xanthe can been however some interesting points of debate. Just reading for me, if I can understand…

I am impressed.

RLmainsInternal01w
• Vertere Redline Powercable.

:small_blue_diamond:This was the best picture I found,.where you see a bit,how the cable looks internal. Interesting design.

/Peder🙂

Its the same picture I looked at, unfortunately it shows nothing of any detail to understand what principle is being used.
The most common, & I suspect it is the case with Vertere, is each of the 9 insulated wire strands in the L & N wires is designed to increase the conductor surface area thereby maximising gains from skin effect, this is the theory that AC current density s predominantly on the conductor surface.

1 Like

If I resume you Xanthe : Audioquest diamond fail with cat 7 standard, have poor signal integrity, tend to increase jitter, and have silver conductors which are irrelevant for digital signal transmission.
Conclusion: I invested in total crap cables. I can put my diamonds to the ashtray. :rofl::joy::star_struck:

I am curious if others can comment Xanthe thoughts on audioquest diamond “ specs”. @Peder, @BertBird, you can throw your diamond in the regular garbage. :joy:

FR I don’t think that’s what Xanthe is getting at. If your Diamond sounds better in your system, and is worth the money to you, then that’s great. It’s just that AQ and a lot of other manufacturers make a lot of ‘word salad’ spurious claims that aren’t backed by any actual measurements or tests. But so are a lot of other things - 2500 years of acupuncture comes to mind, which may or may not work for some people, and may work for some things and not others with the same people (but please lets not get into arguments over this and stay on track with cables). If it sounds good to you then by all means that’s great. I personally would never spend that kind of money on any sort of cables as I can think of many other ways to spend that $, HiFi related or otherwise.

I think everybody needs to stop taking this all so personally. Again, it’s only STUFF.

4 Likes

Enhance? As long as they are correctly transmitting the digital data, as any fully comliant ethernet spec cable used within the appropriate parameter limits will do, then aren’t they just stopping degradation (e.g. by RF), and so rectifying a fault?

And if your network/environment/streamer/DAC setup is such that no degradation is occurring, replacement with cables that are more resistant to allowing whatever causes degradation to happen, then there would be no improvement…

Speaking about acupuncture…I will not. But don’t think it’s blabla.
I really doubt that a serious company like audioquest will advertise with imaginary technical non true informations.
Just my feeling.

Look the emojis at the end of my recent posts. I don’t really bother. It makes me smile.