Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Love their original LP - but couldn’t find the rules therein

They’re circular* and go round and round!

*. well technically helical!

Ok, let me make it easier: Notting Hill Gate

Too easy :slight_smile:

You can start cooking discussions, or motorbikes…the most important now is to reach the 8000 posts.

1 Like
                ❤ The 5th Season ❤ 

Up here in northern Sweden we have…
Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring…AND…
The 5th Season…!!

This,.the 5th Season,runs from about mid-February to the end of April.
AND,.it’s a wonderful time up here,it can’t be compared to any other experience.

Normally,.tourists pay expensive money,to come up here and get to experience the 5th Season.
But now it’s not normal times as you know (Corona),.so this year we get to have all the beautiful things for ourselves.

Then,.why am I telling you this,well it’s time again to celebrate.
This time…

:rose: 7000 Posts Anniversary :rose:

So,.Here We Go…

• These mountains are found in northernmost Sweden.
This is called in Swedish for “Lapporten”,.I can not find a good English translation.
The picture was photographed during the so-called “Blue Hour”,.from Björkliden.

• This picture,.also on “Lapporten” has a friend who works in Norway photographed three days ago.
He drives the mountain-road from Kiruna via Abisko,Björkliden,Riksgränsen to Narvik in Norway.

“Lapporten” is very famous and beautiful in reality,.my mother has wandered between these two peaks when she was younger.

• Here they have started to clear snow from the road that leads to the mountain-paradise Stekenjokk.
The road will be opened to traffic on June 6th,.on Sweden’s National Day.

For those of you who wonder,.yes,the picture is real.
Here we do not run with Trump’s fake news :sweat_smile:.

• Here,.a beautiful woman (I say no more :wink:),has just pulled up the tastiest fish available to eat.
And it is Big,.the Swedish name of this fish is “Röding”.

• Here we see the sunrise from a train between Björkliden and Riksgränsen,.at the top of northern Sweden,and very early in the morning.

The picture was photographed by the driver of the train,.from inside the locomotive.

• I promised at 6000-posts anniversary,.to post a picture of the new Arctic cold-bathhouse…“Artic Bath”.

It floats on the water,.and lies in the middle of the river.
Artic Bath is located 50km outside my hometown of Boden.
Some of you may have heard of the now World Famous TreeHotels in Harads,.Artic Bath is close to it.

• Here you can see how much snow there is in the ski-paradise Riksgränsen this year,.they actually have snow records this year.
But few guests because of Corona.

• If you’re brave,.you can bathe sauna.

And then dip yourself into the cold water,.in this hole in the ice :grin:.

Good luck…

• After your sauna bath and cold water-bath.

You can warm up by the fire,.and drink coffee cooked over the fire.
This right down by the shore,.with a beautiful view.

• And,.we’ll take some pictures of northern lights too.

This was photographed five days ago at Lake Arvidsjaur,.170 km northwest of Boden (my hometown).

• Here another one from Arvidsjaur,.just around this area so they very often have Northern Lights.
This was photographed yesterday.

• It goes fast when the snow melts away,.this is what it looks like on the coast today,where I live.

So here goes the motorcycles at full speed,.but 100 to 150km to the west towards Norway,or north,so people go skiing,.snowmobile etc.

:heart:That’s what’s so fascinating about living here,.we have five seasons like I said at the beginning.
And usually most hours of sunshine in Sweden. And until Midsummer,.we can go up to Riksgränsen and ski in swimming-pants.

Hope you enjoyed the 7000 post celebration.

Now we move on to new experiences to share.
/Peder🙂

:red_circle: Ps: I have to post a picture of a beautiful reindeer too.
Photographed in 2019.

Loathed by us,.because it is often on the roads up here.
But of course loved by tourists. Ds.

14 Likes

Wonderful pictures! I enjoyed and dreamed.

PS: you should ask your daughter to put some cream on her faces. Or perhaps she is fishing too many :lobster:

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:@frenchrooster,…You know,.during this time in the spring,when you’re out in the white snow.

It’s so bright even if the sun doesn’t shine,.so you must wear sunglasses.
Otherwise,.you can get something that up here called “snow-blindness”,and believe me it’s NOT funny.
It feels like someone has poured a whole bucket of sand in your eyes.

I know,.I’ve been snow-blind :sunglasses:.

/Peder🙂

Hi FR!

I agree with you! The ER with stock PS is without doubt better than my Cisco in my system.

What I wrote was meant a bit as a joke but also holds a bit of truth… :innocent:

I still thinks that it is a lot of small boxes and cables for “just” a switch. I would prefer the switch + PS + clock in something like a Naim case. Would look much better, will not “tip over if using a heavy Ethernet cable and would be easier to clean.

I understand that the heatsink is not necessary. On the contrary, if the ER is designed to work at a certain temperature and you are successful in lowering its working temperature maybe the internal clock will be less precise. Probably not but who knows… :sunglasses:

Yes, the Melco seems to be the one to beat right now. I think that I read that Melco with stock PS was on pair with ER + external PS + external clock (obviously depends on which PS and clock). Then you could always add a Plixir PS (or other) to the Melco to reach higher performance.

/Marcus

1 Like

But the Melco is less involving, apparently…from all I could read in some forums.

And should we trust 100% the only reviewer who said that in the audiophile site?

Not tried yet?

I am Peter, or Pierre, and born Piotr. Not Peder…

No, one review doesn’t say much. It’s always good to actually listen yourself before making a purchase, especially if costly. For me it’s unfortunately hard to demo a Melco S100 in my own system since the closest Melco-dealer that I know of in Sweden is 500km away from where I live.

My best option is to compare ER + PS vs EE 8Switch and to buy the one that I prefer… :sunglasses:

If Melco S100 is a little bit better or worse does not mean that much. I prefer to buy a product that I actually can demo and compare to a gamble (from reading reviews).

Still, it’s interesting to read peoples experiences with the products that I’m interested in (or was), especially if they have a similar Naim-system as mine. I’m looking forward to read about your upcoming tests between LPS-1.2 and Farad PS on the ER.

2 Likes

Yes, whether the system used, especially the streamer or DAC, is the same may be critically important in whether you might experience similar. Is the supplier you mentioned not prepared to ship to you on a trial basis? Some suppliers UK will do that with hifi kit at least, at least within Britain, though of course they may first require a deposit of the full value.

Yes, you are off course correct, Innocent_Bystander.

I could contact the hifi-dealer and talk to them about arranging a home-demo. It would probably be possible to ship both ways and for me to borrow the switch for a couple of days. Not my preferred way of demoing a product but it would probably work.

Right now, I do not see the Melco S100 as the most interesting alternative so will not try to arrange a demo right now…

/Marcus

Many people are reporting burn-in periods of a couple of weeks, even 200 to 400 hours with significant changes in performance over that period. So a couple of days might give you completly misleading information.

In the UK Melco have introduced a free home trial. It might be worth contacting them direct to find out if this is an international arrangement?

I hear you, Don!

But don’t you think that a decent dealer would take care of the break in of a demo product and don’t leave that to the customer? A serious dealer would like to make sure that the demo product performs well before shipping it!

A couple of days in the system to give the demo product a fair chance to “come on song” would be fair enough, don’t you think?

/Marcus

2 Likes

Thank you for your suggestion! I might investigate but I’m pretty sure that I can arrange a demo in Sweden if I really would like to.

They would probably agree on arranging some kind of shipping to me and I could send back after the demo period. If not, I like to drive so I could always drive 500 km one-way to borrow the switch and the same distance to return it, if I really wanted. Right now, I don’t find the Melco S100 as the most interesting product so I will not drive 2000km to borrow and return a switch, right now anyway :sunglasses:

For now I will trust the reports that Melco S100 have similar performance as EtherREGEN + external PS + external clock.

1 Like

I’m not sure that everyone ‘s agreed on that. There are at least two people on this forum who prefer the ER with stock SMPS to the Melco with stock SMPS…

1 Like