Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Just out of interest, which Cat BJC are you using?

1.5 m Cat 6 b/w streamer and switch and a 1.5m Cat 6 b/w QNAP and switch.

I already had BJC cat 6 b/w modem and router and router to switch.

2 Likes

Ok many thanks. Iā€™m thinking of ordering some myself and have noticed that most folks go for Cat 6 so will probably do the same.

2 Likes

i understood cat 6e as better. However perhaps we should wait HH feedback. He is comparing vodka vs BJ.

Indeed. My own listening comparisons are in the ND555 thread, but I hope to collect them at some point and post them in a single updated comparison here.

1 Like

Ok swapping in and out the PetPed Damping Solution Mark 1 my wife (who has particularly acute hearing especial when I do not want to be found) says the is more base boom. I may have noticed this (my hearing has worked intermittently in noisy environments) psychosomatically as I moved the armchairs in the back of the room as I thought we were a bit boomy and that put the sound back to what is normal (or I prefer) in out room. So we think it has some effect, if it desirable only the end user of the Mark 1 will be able to determine for themselves.

I have been to B&Q (DIY warehouse for those not in the U) and adjured and exorbitantly priced (Ā£2.50) packet of cable grommets which look identical to your picture. I will get the real thing from Tom Tom Audio (incidentally cheaper at Ā£2.34) if this, the Mark 2, proves to be and interesting direction of travel. Tomorrow to avoid any news sic . I will enlarge the hole in the bracket so the grommet fits snugly in the hole and use a larger diameter screw to rest gently but securely through the hole to reconnect to the wall. (We may have to debate rawl plugs ).

Then sit back and treat the neighbours the back catalogue of Alter Bridge before allowing their new release ā€˜Walk the Skyā€™ to grow on me.

My wifes ears with report back in due course ā€¦

1 Like

BJCā€™s Cat-6A & the Cat-6 are non-standard Belden cables custom made for BJC for patch cable application using 24AWG wire
GX10 is a network cable & its 23AWG conductors are a challenge to get into a RJ45 plug.

3 Likes

I havenā€˜t read all this topic, but want to share my experience about AQ Cinnamon. I purchased it two days ago. It is 12m cable. I connected it between router and switch. Previously there was simple cat 5a cable.

Actually the sound worsened a lot. The sound became muddy, with less hearable mids and highs. Maybe it is so coalled ā€œwarm soundā€ by AQ as it is written on the Cinnamon box. But I donā€™t like it. The music disappears, only mudiness remains. Using my old cable I can clearly hear words and vocals no matter how low the volume. Now, using Cinnamon and listening at lower volume levels, I do not hear vocals and that is very frustrating. Also the bass is slow.

I hope it will improve. I heard some improvements today, but they stopped progressing. Maybe it is long cable and needs more time to burn-in fully.

If not, Iā€™m going to stay with my old cat5e cable (10 Eur) or try some of BJC cables. It would be a big disappointment of AQ in general. The cable price was 350 Eur.

2 Likes

It will get better over a few days, then even better as time goes on

1 Like

I really hope so :slight_smile:

Why did you change cables in the first place? What didnā€™t you like about the sound originally?

1 Like

Actually I was very excited when I changed my speaker cables to Naca5. The sound changed dramatically. So I decided to change all other cables, including network and power :slight_smile:

I liked the sound, but I thought maybe it can improve even more changing LAN and power cable on my Atom. So Iā€™m not sure if I did it right by choosing Cinnamon. Also Iā€™m waiting for AQVOX switch with AQVOX edge cable to arrive. I will use EDGE cable between switch and Atom.

1 Like

you need to burn it one week, 24/24. It will change.

On the other hand my test also showed a Ā£90 cable better than a Ā£75 cable or a Ā£6 cable, but a Ā£3.80 cable came in the middle, and Ā£4.60 cable is better than all of those. So for Ethernet cables there seems to be no real correlation between price and resulting sound (as would expected if noise shaping theory is to be confirmed by practice).

2 Likes

Would be interesting to know, is it OK to burn audio LAN cable by putting it on internet bandwidth (at about 400-600Mbps). I did such test today, and it seems that it helped a little bit. But Iā€™ve never heard that anybody would to that.

Or is it better to burn it by simply playing music as it is?

yes, just let play music, like i radio when you are sleeping or working. 24/24. during 7 days.

1 Like

I recently changed from AQ Cinnamon to BJC Cat6a. To me the BJC cable is like NACA5 and the lavender Naim interconnects. It has great PRAT and just makes the music flow.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™ve just checked BJ homepage. I think Iā€™ll try their cable also.

So this cat6e cable that everyone likes is ā€œCat 6a Patch Cordsā€“BJC C6APā€ (in ā€œdata cablesā€ category)? I just need to choose length and color, right?

Be careful, you seem confused, check again what you read, Cat-5e is the basic cable & it has no screen, Cat-6 is a higher performance cable with no screen, Cat-6A is the same as Cat-6 but with a screen, the screen is passive & does not have an electrical connection,
I believe Cat-6 is the better cable. there is no need for a screen BJC agree & say itā€™s only needed in heavy RFI situations & screens can add more problems than they fix.

2 Likes

I would like to share my findings on my data cabling.

Cisco 2960 switch is housed in a Data cabinet located in the loft and I needed to replace my aging CAT5 that routes from the loft going outside down the gable end then into the main living room.

Replaced with Ubiquiti ToughCable Pro an outdoor CAT5e with a conductor wire gauge of 24AWG using Ubiquiti ToughPlugs. ESD drain wire connects to the ToughPlug at the Cisco switch not at the 272.

I have to say this has had an impact to the sound for the better in all areas and a cheap solution.

3 Likes