Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

I’m going to revisit my previous test results on Ethernet cables as I’ve found they sound different with the new Cisco 2960 switch compared to my previous evaluations with the 2940 I had been using until I changed it recently.

Presently I’m leaving the Vodka Ethernet between ND555 and Melco and have tried a few other cables between Melco and 2960 and compared to my ‘reference’ nondescript Cat5, which has its own signature but does not seem to add smear effects that I’ve found happens with others and I can’t get on with over time, whatever other good qualities they had.

I re-tried the Belden Designacable and it is better than with the 2940 switch but still obscures detail - cleaner than my old Cat5 reference but not as much insight.

I then re-tried an old Cat7 cable of no particular claim to quality that sounded bright and nasty before - and now it is not bright and nasty, so that is a real change as I could not stand in before, now it actually sounds quite good.

…again the why and how I don’t know - my point here is context. The boxes the cables connect with are rather important when deciding what is better and worse.

DB.

2 Likes

This is pretty much where i got to with my Nova, could hear lots of differences amongst cables…then added a Cisco 2960. It all changed, things sounded different. I knew i was not going to stay with a Nova, so i decided to leave it until my system was where i wanted it to be. And then revisit the whole cable game, not just ethernet ones.

It would be interesting, well maybe, if you tried a BJ Cat 6 in place of the Vodkas. I’ve swapped over and am very pleased with the results, though my setup is much more modest of course.

5 Likes

Just what I’ve been saying for some time. Thank you for the independent confirmation!

1 Like

Peder, yes we already in 2007 tested ehternet-cables for best musicality and best direction.

But ONLY meaningful where there is perceived directionality between specific pieces of equipment. The patch leads themselves are benign.
So any assessment needs to identify host, network equipment and connecting patch lead, along with length and any other pertinent environmental services, such as if the lead is physically routed away from other leads etc

Also direction needs to be stated, as Ethernet and grounding setups vary, one might find a preferable noise profile in the connected audio equipment with direction either to network equipment or host.

… and therein lies a problem. I have yet to see a cable vendor clearly state how their STP screen is orientated. Is it connected to both RJ45 ends or is it floating at one end & how that is marked on the cable. Then if it is a floating screen, state clearly what end connects to what & forget this directional boldocks.

Mike, can you explain what an STP screen is, and how and why it should connect at one or both ends of an ethernet cable?

You may like the BJC Belden Cat6 then. It has a slight treble uplift that accentuates upper-mid and treble details compared to the DesignaCable Belden Cat5e and also has less pronounced bass.

Being a fool, I have ordered some BJC Cat6a to hear what they do in my system. Overall I still prefer the DesignaCable, especially for midrange textural detail, but there are some trade-offs.

This is of course assuming that the same cables will produce vaguely comparable results in different systems.

If an ethernet cable is UTP (un-screened twisted pair) it has only the 4 pairs of data carrying wires
An STP cable (or F/STP or similar) has the 4 pairs of wires wrapped in a foil (or braid) screen or in addition each twisted pair is individually screened.
The screen is connected to a metallic RJ45 plug, this is either a shrouded plug or a metal jacketed plug.

Screened ethernet cables that you buy as patch cables from all the normal stores & www outlets will invariably have the screen connected to the RJ45 plug shroud at both ends.
However in the audiophile (boutique) market there are some that have one end only connected & leave the other end unconnected (floating). I suspect it has been found to solve a few problems & maybe sounds better.
It will avoid a potential problem when a fully screened network connects the renderer (Naim) & server (NAS) grounds together, this is not a good thing & is positively avoided in the professional installation world. And if your screened ethernet cable is connected at both ends, its something to look out for.
However if you do have ethernet cables with a screen that is floating at one end, to make the screen most effective connect the screen end to the renderer’s (Naim) grounded RJ45 port, and the same for the server (NAS) cable & have the screen end connected to the servers grounded RJ45 port.
I’m sure some peeps will find something to disagree with on this, but I’m only a simple electrical engineer.

2 Likes

I am thinking of spoiling my already spoilt system with another Vodka. What would be my next unit it command? = My router to switch? Or NAS to switch?

You do make me chuckle! You turned down my half price one last week, so why change your mind? (This is not a for sale post - the cables are sold). Try a Blue Jeans cat 6 for about £25 rather than £250 for a Vodka. You might be surprised - I was. The answer is Nas to switch.

3 Likes

try the blue jeans Stephen. I will do the same.

2 Likes

Well it certainly seems quite a cheap outlay. It it doesn’t work out then I suppose my youngest son can have it for his MuSo. My middle son is about to inherit my NAIT 5si for Christmas, perhaps I could palm it off on him too! If my youngest can’t hear any difference between that and his Cat5e. :rofl:

Perhaps you might be tempted to palm off the Vodka when you do try a BJC Cat6

3 Likes

Now there’s an idea, that would cover his Birthday too… :thinking:

1 Like

In your system; in anyone else’s system it may have a completely different effect.

1 Like

I’ll be interested to hear what that sounds like.
The BJC 6a worked a treat in system.
Very clear and pure sounding compared to the very cheaply made cables I had previously.

1 Like

Thanks Mike - v useful summary.
IIRC the BJC 6a are screened but not twisted as they are 4 solid core wires? Is that right?
Do you know whether they are unscreened or screened at one or both ends?

As indeed I suggested could be the case at the end of my post

2 Likes