Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

BJC are all solid core, there are 4 pairs (8 individual wires) & each pair is twisted. With BJC (Belden cables) each twisted pair is bonded to maintain the same twist with tight bends. Additionally, as with all ethernet, each individual pair has a different twist rate (turns per cm) to that of the other pairs in the cable; this reduces cross talk between them.
The BJC Cat-6A has a passive screen, the cable is screened but BJC do not connect it at any end, leaving both ends floating. It will give some additional screening against RFI & EMI, remember the twisted pair wires alone reject a lot of RF & EM effects anyway.

2 Likes

Update

The BJC Cat6 has had a week of running in. I spent the morning comparing the BJC with my existing Chord Indigo TA and the loaner Chord Music streaming cables, using the same music as previously plus some other pieces I know by heart.

My opinion of the BJC hasnā€™t changed - itā€™s a decent ethernet cable. Both the Indigo and the Music cables beat it by a distance that isnā€™t remotely close. Both are musically more involving in every way, the Music so much more so.

In the afternoon, @Dave brought round his Sarum T streaming cable and we ran through them all. The Sarum T was very good indeed, and if I hadnā€™t had the Music there to compare Iā€™d have ordered a length.

But, the bottom line is the Music made everything more real. If I were to use a hyperbolic expression (and it is over the top, but expresses some of the feeling I have) itā€™s a bit like comparing AM to FM.

At the end, my wife came in and asked to hear the cables again blind. She had no idea what was in the system, but immediately she identified the Music as playing the best music (as she had done previously).

So. Music ordered, hole appearing in savings, BJC destined to add that special something to my Hive bridge (or something).

5 Likes

Are the BJCs sounding better or just different?

Iā€™m just about to order three of them but would like other users to clarify in what way theyā€™re better than a Cat7 boutique audio manufactured cable. Thanks

I made a few comments on this thread three or four days ago, so I wonā€™t repeat myself.

1 Like

What Nick said.

you will have to read the thread again Stephenā€¦

It just shows what that Ā£3970 extra gives you.

G

4 Likes

however, for the same price, you could buy an ndx2 and sell the ndx. The upgrade would be probably better in terms of sound quality.
Just my feelingā€¦

2 Likes

Ok thanks HH. I missed that. Sounds like you prefer BJC over AQ. I have just ordered my BJC 3 x 2 metre of Cat 6 for me and a 10 metre Cat 6 for my boy.

Crikey, l must be going MAD! :rofl:

See you guys on the other side!

1 Like

Yup. Itā€™s an unimaginable amount for a cable. All I can say is A) that if Naim made a black box that did this Iā€™d snap their hands off immediately B) I could be dead tomorrow*

• actually thatā€™d be a bummer as the cable wouldnā€™t have arrived :slight_smile:
3 Likes

i am very curious now. I have not ordered the BJ yetā€¦

Why? Itā€™s being used as a transport in this case and, as Naim head bods have repeatedly said, they made no changes.

Anyway, have a listen for yourself and then decide.

Simon had the ndx as transport and the ndx2 now. He found the improvement big with the new platform as transport. He uses ndx2/ chord hugo.
Personally it was just a thinking of me, i have not tested and canā€™t say for sure which will sound best: ndx/ chord music/ dave or ndx2/ generic ethernet cable/ dave?

1 Like

Ah the ā€˜even the wife heard itā€™ line, worth 4k for a cable then!

1 Like

If she sanctions the spend :grin:

I wonder if Naim knows their 500 series kit needs Ā£4K data cables to sound good?

2 Likes

New Melco S 100 switch. 2k. the ethernet mania is not finishedā€¦

@Darkebear, time to complete your Melco components :laughing::star_struck:

3 Likes

The next time I see a Naim demo, I will watch the cables they useā€¦, wouldnā€™t be amazed if they use Chord Music for Ethernetā€¦

Simonā€™s ears are Simonā€™s ears. Not yours and not mine. I recall that there was quite a lot of uncertainty over, correct me if Iā€™m wrong, old Hugo vs Dave, Dave with or without Mscaler, both issues which were entirely clear to me on every occasion I heard them.

Relying upon someone elseā€™s view - including mine or Nickā€™s, Iā€™ll emphatically add - is meaningless. Just as itā€™s meaningless to have an opinion on how something sounds without hearing it, preferably in a familiar context.

2 Likes

I will have a demo - when it appears at my Dealer.
If I hear 20x the improvement than the Cisco 2960 gave (it will cost that much more) I will get one. :laughing:
If it is more than 2x as good then maybe. But since 20x or 2x is meaningless it really means I will assess if it is worth it with a home demo, only because it may have some synergy with my existing Melco-hosted data storage.

I hope that I donā€™t like it! :worried::bear:

DB.

2 Likes