Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

When a cable stops noise, it damages the signal ? What to think of fiber optic cables which can carry no noise at all ?

I canā€™t think how noise shaping would be at all relevant with the low impedance and high power levels involved with speakers. Iā€™m perplexed by your answer.

FR Read and understand my previous post on this matter.

If a digital cable attenuates noise, then by the same mechanism yes it degrades the digital signal more than one that has less noise attenuation - this is part of the engineering compromise involved in setting the digital bandwidth of the cable.

I feel perplexed by your technical babble. At he end of the day the user plugs in a Ethernet cable and either hears a difference or they donā€™t, for better or worse. The science is irrelevant.

1 Like

90% of the research in audio is to reduce the noise . Less you have noise, more the signal is pure and unaltered. I have always read that.
And now you say that the contrary is the truthā€¦I am lost.

Chord choral is Dave / blue ?

Agree, but some people have very (excessively) strongly put the position that in order to her something better you must pay more than Ā£500 / ā‚¬600 in order to get a significant advantage - this view is incorrect.

Those people have relied on companies marketing speak (which really is babble) rather than working from good technical principles (as I and some others have don in support of an argument for the acceptance that other much cheaper cables stand an equal chance of giving a better sound than the very expensive ones. Indeed they have actually tried to infer that the technical reason why this is the case are invalid, based on the claims of the marketing departments of a few companies.

Just because you personally donā€™t understand the language of electrical and electronic engineering doesnā€™t make it babble.

4 Likes

When you play cricket in your cottage, do you wear blue jeans , Lewis or Lee Cooper?

1 Like

The cinnamon has a fancy marketing campaign and is 10+ more expensive so shouldnā€™t that make it better? Perhaps industry specs are a leading predictor for a cable sounding good in a system.

Clearly you donā€™t understand the basic principles of digital data transmission; no wonder youā€™re lost.

My head is lost but fortunately my ears are always telling me when truth isā€¦:smirk:

1 Like

Unfortunately, with respect to the effect noise shaping has on the player, thereā€™s no correlation to any of the published specs or marketing claims - itā€™s completely unpredictable.

1 Like

ā€¦in your system.

And in your system (only) your results are valid.

However, thereā€™s no reason whatever why the results you find in you system should be transferable to what anyone else finds in their own system - thereā€™s just no correlation or rational prediction of the effects.

:small_blue_diamond:As Naimā€™s and Linnā€™s marketing during the 1980ā€™s and 1990ā€™s,.thatā€™s why these two companies became so great.

If itā€™s like you say about Audioquest,.then theyā€™re really smart.
Ordinary people do not want to read technical specifications,.they just want it to work and sound good.

/PederšŸ™‚

Nope! Itā€™s all been said.

2 Likes

When I first plugged in my Vodka cable I really hoped it would not make a difference over what I was already using. Why? Because itā€™s a lot of money for a bit of wire and I would like to spend that money on more important things, like food, clothes or anything else that has more meaning. But hey, it rocks and I purchased it, I could not care for whatā€™s written about it. It makes my music sound enjoyable so after a two week trial, I payed the money. Do I regret it? NO.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting, I would expect at least some correlation but nailing down what noise shaping constitutes is likely an influence here.

Iā€™m not aware of any example from Linn or Naim that are relevant to the discussion. I donā€™t disagree AQ is smart to exploit the feelings of its customers, thatā€™s good marketing.

I suppose that it depends on where the noise comes from, at what point it is injected into the system, and how you remove it. If the noise is added after the music or data is present on the wire, then your only option (that I am aware of) is to filter the noise out. Doing that almost certainly will affect the wanted signal being carried. If you can prevent the noise from appearing on the signal wires, then you donā€™t need to filter the signal, and so whatever you have done to prevent the noise should not affect the signal.

Unfortunately, ears/brain (like eyes/brain) are easily fooled, particularly by the brain. Actually, it is also fortunate, because otherwise we would not be able to appreciate recorded music, and would not be able to hear stereo music - what we hear is a construct, and our ear and brain does clever things to that construct to interpret it as actual music. We can hear instruments that are not there. In fact, we are so good at it that when we hear the recording of a kettle drum on a cheap transistor radio, we recognise it, and hear it, as a kettle drum, even though very little of the tones of the kettle drum are reproduced. It is an amazing ability - but it is also flawed, easily fooled, and subject to expectation. In fact, our entire experience of the world is constructed from incoming information plus our model of the world interpreting this information.

In some ways it is relevant to me. In the 70s there was something of a revolution in the way Hi-Fi was reviewed - i.e. how it sounded rather than how it measured. Naim amps didnā€™t measure as well as many respected (and well-advertised) Japanese amps, for example.

Linn and Naim were at the forefront of judging things on how they sounded. I can understand why the engineers amongst us want to understand why something behaves as it does, because that way something is reliably reproduced, but ultimately itā€™s our ears that determine what we buy and not a (badly printed) test certificate or a set of tests that may not represent the audible story.

5 Likes