Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

That’s true to a certain extent, but also equally valid, if not more so by those who haven’t heard the (admittedly) extravagantly priced cables you and others have hooted at.

3 Likes

I didn’t mean that I don’t understand the debates from a technical perspective, as I am also an IT guy,…however being a bit longer in this hobby I have learned to combine the understanding why with real listening experience. I very often hear that my ears tell me something which is not that obvious when logically debating about it. Either due to lack of knowledge on all aspects, or due to us not understanding all things which make up good sound… and yes that also includes mood…

No, it’s not equally valid. I compared my AQ cable to the BJC cable and my comments reflect that actual experience. Two of biggest critics of BJC don’t even have them yet.

1 Like

What we don’t have is a base reference.
I doubt any contributors have exactly the same system set up in the same way, in the same room as anyone else.
Apart from that, lets not forget the biological differences. I doubt there’s any matches here either.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:@ElMarko,…Nick.Lees has listened,.they ended up in the last place of those he tested.

Another known here who listened,.has put it longer back in the system.
In the most important place…between switch-streamer is a different cable.

Hungryhalibut thinks its better then AQ Vodka.

:black_small_square:I have listened and compared to…
• Supra.
• Chord C-Stream.
• AQ Vodka.
• AQ Diamond.
• Transparent Audio.
• Wireworld.
• TimePortal,.two models.
• Entreq,.two models.
• Acoustic Revive,.two models.

In my system,.BJC fights against Chord C-stream and Supra.
The others listed are better.

/Peder🙂

Ok, you haven’t refuted anything I said here.

:small_blue_diamond:@ElMarko,…What do you mean,.do not understand what you are referring to…Explain.!!

/Peder🙂

No, do not buy that one unless you plan on powering via poE from another switch or add on poE power supply. Get the normal 2960C or CX or 2960L if you need gigabyte speed. Yes, all 2960’s will improve sound quality over a cheap commercial switch, and ime the newer the better.

Thanks for the quick answer … I will search for those models that you recommend.

RF mainly

1 Like

Hi, what is your question? Is there a downside to using this switch? Not generally, many find it subtly improves things on their Naim streamer. Do ensure it’s factory rest before you buy it, and it should then plug and play.

Personally I didn’t criticized BJ cables . Other posts like noise shaping, like the nonsense of buying expensive lan cables, like expensive cables measure not well…etc
If I had criticized BJ, I would not ordered one.

I was thinking of connecting my router to this cisco switch … and then continuing to connect with a cat6e to my Naim Nova.
My question is if this Cisco switch (the model itself) is ok.
Available to buy for 50 euros on the used market
My idea is to improve the sound quality.

Ask for a factory reset if you don’t want to have headaches. Ask them also if it’s noisy or not when connected. Better buy non Poe.

I think I could be wrong and it does have an ac input. Great price if so. Check the specs on the internet. Lots of different variations on the 2960.

poE itself doesn’t matter (you can use it or not use it). Just be sure it has an AC iec input.

Yes the model you suggest is a good model, I have used a similar… it’s low noise, but you do need a separate 48 VDC powersupply for it which Cisco do provide, or you can power by a PoE injector, using an Ethernet link to the up port… that is this switch is not mains operated. The PoE powered devices are in my opinion the best when it comes to low noise and connection to the streamer, and they are totally quiet with no noise at all from the mains supply, as it doesn’t have one, but you will need a separate 48 volt DC powersupply as I say

Sure you can connect to your router switch port, and then to your streamer.

Some Poe models here were noisy. 2 members related on it. Maybe not all Poe are noisy but it seems more risky, specially with hard used ones.

No, this model is a PoE powered device ie it is PoE or DC powered, it has no mains supply, which is why they are ideal, and I used to use with my NDX as they are ultra low noise… but you will need a seperate 48 volt DC powersupply if you are not going to power via a PoE power source on the uplink ports.

I think FR is getting confused with PoE Power Source models… I also use these, but as they use bigger internal mains PSUs… an old worn one might buzz

@anon35986639 and @Darkebear have bought refurbished cisco Poe models
which were noisy. After they bought non Poe models and they were not noisy.