Ethernet Switch and Cables Mania

Cannot believe how all this streaming affair has gone so far.
Hopefully One day someone will help isolate the incorrupted data and ,who knows, have it printed onto something portable to be played into a source.
Time will tell

1 Like

Copy the data into an optical disc. And then design a machine to play it back.:laughing:

2 Likes

conĀ·firĀ·maĀ·tion biĀ·as

noun

1. the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of oneā€™s existing beliefs or theories.

th-anks

bu.tt why are yo-oo show-ing me th-at def-in-i-tion?

I can now hear why folks revert back to the old Naim and vinyl. Why? Because itā€™s becoming ever so much more boringā€¦

That will change the lives of people forever.
Weā€™d need large libraries , bookshelves , something people are not yet ready to be confronted to.

Bring back the CD3!

1 Like

You wish
Science fiction
A physical record of the real thing would be the end of the game.

1 Like

No, no not especially regarding noise from DC.
The CPD powersupply is 48 VDC 300mA.
Use favourite web search engine to search for Cisco powersupply.

:small_blue_diamond:@Stephen_Tate,ā€¦A little Storyā€¦

I tried this cable,.Chord C-Streamā€¦

in my headphone-system and in a Naim system.
The Chord C-Stream sounded good after its ability.
It was run-in/burn-in.

But when we put it in an Linn-system,.it sounded like the Linn-system was broken,you couldnā€™t listened to it.
But we let the cable remain in the Linn-system,.and the next night it sounded good.

I donā€™t know what this was due to,.but maybe you would let the BJC-cable be in the system until tomorrow-evening.
Just to see if something positive happens.

:red_circle: PS: Maybe someone here with deeper IT-technical knowledge,.can explain why the Chord C-stream cable behaved as described above.

/PederšŸ™‚

1 Like

Ok I will it a try, I have them here still, i will revisit. they had better be keenā€¦:thinking:

1 Like

Yes, error taping

1 Like

Iā€™d suggest you are being rash. When I got mine I deliberately gave no feedback until they had been running for three or four days. Itā€™s no surprise that a brand new cable which has spent time in sub zero temperatures over the Atlantic might struggle against a fully run in cable. I found that the cables give a more natural sound without some of the unnatural emphasis that the Vodkas bring. You may not like that neutrality but it would be foolish to write them off after a couple of hours. Mine (they are cat 6 rather than 6a if that matters) have been running for nearly two weeks and Iā€™ve never heard the system sound so good.

7 Likes

I have realized that any of the cables need two / three days to sound good. In the first hour or couple of minutes you can only detect the fundamental character of the cableā€¦

3 Likes

Stephen, put only one before the router and switch. In 1 week, put it between Cisco and nd5xs2 . And compare to the vodka, only on that segment ( after 1 week run in).
I will do that when I receive them.

1 Like

Currently running in a Van Damme Tourcat Cat6a 1m not sure if using a S/FTP is ideal but its from a company making cables for the music and broadcast industry Its different sounding already to my regular Blue Jeans Cat5e and the basic no brand Cat6 I had in for the last week which I got from work. Next week its time for the DesignaCable Belden CatSnake Cat5e that @Michaelb recommends. Then I will have a face off to see if there is much difference after run in and which performs best. If I feel flush I may splash out to try another boutique one in fairness but not sure I have the budget right now.

2 Likes

I also say give it a while - or put them on data duties and then try them again. The Designacable Cat5e sounded awful when new. I only tried them again having been encouraged to persevere with the AQ Vodkas, which did improve after a very shrill start. The BJC Cat 6 took even longer to shine. I havenā€™t tried the Cat6a yet. They arrived this week, but Iā€™m waiting for the new power blocks to burn in before I give them a try.

2 Likes

My impression from my own experience is that it takes more than twice that for the former and there is no hard and fast rule for the latter.

The cables shown in Stephenā€™s photo have metal shielded plugs - that implies that the shields are connected.

I found that screened (STP) cables consistently performed worse than unscreened (UTP) Ethernet cables.

1 Like

Thatā€™s weird, I donā€™t see any metal plugs on the BJC site.

2 Likes