Exotic system

Interesting. I read a lot of Zen books some years ago. I remember Suziki and Deshimaru. And I have one to read , arrived recently. « Zen et transcendance » , by Karlfried Graf Durkheim.
But we are well away from the topic…:joy:

1 Like

Can you explain, I understood nothing Tobyjug.

RD - Richard Dane
Big daddy - RD - boss
Bretheren - all of us on the forum
RD behaving like one of us

Might have missed something though.

1 Like

I thought the same thing about the clocks, as well as the chime bars ringing with the music. I had problems with a flu on my log burner making an annoying sound when a speaker was placed near it.
Love that word pendula, almost sounds rude, had never considered what more than one pendulum might be called.

1 Like

I liked it, too! (Not a plural I’ve ever cosidered before - started off writing pendulums).

@frenchrooster His speakers are inspired by Grandinote :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If only…!!!

1 Like

And after a chautauqua that lasted several hundred pages, it all boiled down quality being what you like.

So, we are back to ‘that’ wine :wink:

Reminds me of when I worked on a semi-submersible oil drilling rig.

3 Likes

I respect a man that follows is dreams, and goes beyond every obstacle in life to accomplish it.

For him is the best system in the world, and that is what is important.

1 Like

Interesting gent for sure. Love the self confidence and skill set to pull it off. Unfortunately, he’ll spend a fraction on the time enjoying the finished product vs time invested in building it. That being said, I suspect he got as much joy putting it together as he’ll have listening.
Each to his own.

2 Likes

I’m sure he’s happy with it. Surprised no ones commented on the third speaker. Back back in the day there were classical recordings done in three channels I believe they were mono with the center speaker acting to fill in the sound stage, or something like that.

Anyway I think the room is god awful ostentatious, pretentious and fugly. Looks like he had the same interior designer as Donald T

1 Like

99.99% of people would classify any system owned by a forum member as exotic.

I’m not sure I get any meaningful distinction looking at that thing. Though I envy the free time he must have had to be able to do it.

I have to wonder if someone with multiple grandfather clocks in the same room is compensating for something though. Is “clock envy” a thing?

3 Likes

Skipped through it. Fair enough.

Strauss’ Also sprach Zarathustra might be a more relevant track to play on it, with those imposing black monoliths.

From ACOUSTIC FIRST.INFO Blog:

There are many home theaters of note, but rarely is one created (at this scale) by the singular dream and dedication of one man. Ken Fritz involved early in the project to perform acoustic measurements of the space, and his theater became the first large-scale installation of our newly developed. From beginning to end, Ken says that he spent more than 25 years on the realization of his dream – and others have taken notice.
specifically for this purpose. The walls are hurricane grade block construction, the roof-line is constructed to improve the acoustics, the walls are clad in the bass emanates effortlessly from in-wall enclosures – and just look at those custom built arrays that Ken designed and constructed by hand! This project is more than just a labor of love, it is an obsession with excellence.

Even a custom-designed and hand-built turntable feeds Ken’s dream environment.

This obsession covers every aspect of the room and the system, with everything being either built by hand, customized to his specifications, or simply the best you can get! If there is a “home theater mountain,” Ken built a skyscraper at the summit – but don’t take our word for it…

I don’t understand the presence of these clocks, specially as it can distract from listening.
As for exotic, I could use another word, but my english is limited. Krell is not exotic, but his speakers and turntable are his own design. DIY high end ? Maybe

vaguely remember reading somewhere that orig stereo was 3-channel with a centre chanel?

1 Like

It was in the 50’s that Mercury Records and more so Robert Fine and his wife Wilma Cozart Fine developed their “Living Presence”
Recordings. These were originally 3 channel stereo! Some of the very best Classical recordings are the Mercury Living Presence series.

Quite a number of jazz and classical recordings during the late '50s and early '60s used a 3 mike tree and a 3 track recorder to make 3 track session master tapes. From there they would then be mixed down to stereo and any adjustments such as additional eq, filtering, compression etc… would be applied.

1 Like

Ah, I suspected as much: a 4th clock! Quadraphonic tick tocks, chimes and striking: I get it now - but surely he should have at leat two more at the back of the room for a truly immersive surround experience…

I have no thoughts as to the sound in that room, knowing nothing of the speakers, however the room appears to be of a size that it should be easy to achieve a good sound with decent full-range speakers, especially if there is appropriate acoustic design/treatment which there is said to be though not much evident in the pics. Whilst I wouldn’t make a room look like that, I think I’d be quite happy to have the room itself - I’m sure it would do justice to many simpler systems with good speakers - a room in which to try Tannoy Westminster Royals perhaps…

But as for cinema, assuming the screen is the white box on the ceiling in the still image of the opening post, to me it looks to be too small for the seating distance, assuming the maroon coloured armchairs to be the primary seating. For a truly immersive cinema experience I would go for a screen filling most of the width of the room at its present position (using an acoustically transparent screen because it will be in front of the of the main speakers) or otherwise have it much nearer the sitting position to give a much wider image subtending the eyes. Given the scale of the acoustic side of things the video scale seems to be a bit of a missed opportunity as it is.