External drive for ripping CDs: recommendations sought

I would like to be able to rip some of my CD collection so I can have access to the music through my NAS and Naim streamer. I have both a PC and a Mac but I would prefer to do the ripping on my Mac.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent external CD drive or a drive mechanism that I could install into an enclosure?

I’ve used an Apple SuperDrive for years but, only yesterday, discovered it won’t work with an M2 MacBook Air, even with an Apple USB A/C connector. Not enough power, I think.

I use an Apple Superdrive attached to an iMac that downloads most CDs, have had a few problems on a couple of CDs so purchased a cheap drive off Amazon (Rioddas), made no difference - still unable to download those CDs - even repurchased them to no avail.

I just recently bought a cheap ~£20 external CD drive from Amazon for exactly the same purpose (Rioddas External CD/Dvd +/-Rw Drive, USB 3.0 Portable, Slim Dvd/CD Rom Rewriter Burner For Windows XP / 2003 / Vista / 7/8.1/10 / 10.1, Linux, MacOS system, MacBook Air and Mac mini). It has two USB cables. One to plug into my PC (USB 3 connection) and another to plug into a USB power supply - I used one I had from a Samsung phone (it doesn’t come with one). My thinking was that I could ensure it had sufficient power by plugging in both cables.

Would I recommend it? It was so so, like any of these unknown brands I suspect, and it failed to read several CDs that an old laptop I had read fine (I used dBpoweramp). That said, out of ~150 CDs I had about 6 that failed to rip bit perfect, a couple of which weren’t recognised and just spun up. I guess there are a myriad of reasons why.

I use an Asus external dvd drive with my Mac, works fine.

Here’s a link to a similar thread - I had the same question,

Wasn’t aware that the Mac SD doesn’t work w M2 Macs…

Another of my issues as well…

Still not able to fix those CDs

£29.99 on Amazon. We’ve had one for a few years and have ripped many CDs with no issues.

I’m tempted - can you confirm it’s a slot-loader, like a car CD player, and that it works fine with a Windows PC?

Yes, it’s a slot loader. The blurb says Windows so it should be fine. We use it with a Mac.

1 Like

The superdrive is really slow or at least the one that I have is

The Asus external blu-ray is much quicker, however I’ve had a few CDs that I’ve had to rip with my superdrive.

Thanks so much everyone for your recommendations. I actually ran across the Acer Blu-Ray drive somewhat independently and it seems like a good solution albeit more expensive. In the past I had a couple of drives in the smaller portable format like the superdrive which didn’t last that long before the slot mechanism failed. That was a long time ago so I suspect overall reliability has improved.

I expect the SuperDrive works perfectly with M2 Macs. It was the MacBook Air that the problem was with (not enough power).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.