F1 - 2023 Season

It’s mad expensive - bit of a thing for my son’s 18th, he’s a huge fan.

1 Like

Have a great time, I used to really enjoy it.

1 Like

Off to f1 tomorrow and Sunday.
It’s only up the road from me, and free tickets as well. Might even get free hospitality.
Get in.

5 Likes

It is a few decades since I last went to Silverstone for the GP. Then it seemed really expensive for a mature student. However, my then-brother-in-law took me, he was given two tickets by a supplier. Can’t remember which year it was, just that it was the year Mansell announced his retirement after his Ferrari broke down yet again. We were in the stands by Maggots, a great place to watch and there was a big screen to watch when no cars were going past. My half-brother was thinking of taking his family whilst he is over from the Canary Isle, but the price of the tickets totally put him off. He might do the Moto GP instead, which only requires one arm, not the leg and a kidney needed for F1.

2 Likes

Fun fact. The heliport at Silverstone used to be the busiest airport in the world. Before the new access road opened there were 5 or 6 feeder sites that ferried in those that preferred to park a few miles away I can’t remember the figures but the number of flights was in the many thousands. There’s probably still many such flights today.
I once enjoyed a helicopter flight that followed the track as it was then. Maybe 2003?

And this is why it’s called The Wellington Straight.

Imagine Max in a game of chicken with one of those.

2 Likes

Don’t give them ideas, we may just see Brad Pitt doing that tomorrow!

Mclaren

3 Likes

Back in the day the road to Silverstone was a single carriage way “A” road. Traffic would tail back for miles. Many of my school friends would make money walking up and down the traffic jam selling bottles of water and cans of coke.

3 Likes

Max may have him as a future father in law.

I have fond memories of those days too. I was stationed in Bletchley in the mid seventies and on two wheels. Saw several battles between Barry Sheene and Kenny Roberts. Turn up, pay a few quid and enjoy the day. Then join the mass of bikes taking up both sides of the road home. It was a similar situation at brands hatch on the A20 if I recall. Preferred that circuit to silverstone.

Oh yeah and the smell of the two stroke.

2 Likes

It’s just started raining at home, and as its only a few miles away from silverstone, it could well be here in a few minutes, just ready for the start.

Could certainly get entertaining if it does
Plus this bank i am on 8s going to get wet once again like yesterday lol

1 Like

A bit of a processional race at the front, after the first few laps, with some safety car to mix it up near the end.
Good to see Lando and Lewis on the podium joining Max, who must be finding the top step a bit repetitive these days. Alex did a fine job for Williams.

3 Likes

RB only 4 seconds ahead, McLaren no longer a shitbox, Williams are punching above their weight and Ferrari look poor. Season is getting interesting!

5 Likes

Lando. Wow…

DG…

1 Like

Another great drive from Max. But super stoked to see Lando on the second step! A little sad that Lewis took the third step from Piastri as it was a great drive from the rookie, but hey at his home race I have to applaud him for the great recovery and well deserved podium! Considering the Red Bull dominance a great result for the Silverstone crowd all in all I am sure!

1 Like

There are no more words for Max, who seems to belong to another planet. Great step forward by McLaren which has two excellent drivers (Lando is already a top driver, I think Oscar will soon become one). But we saw the usual procession of cars: it is significant that they sent a dozen replays of Magnussen’s engine failure, the most spectacular event…

3 Likes

Great to see today’s podium of Lando, Lewis and a Red Bull person all driving cars designed and built in the UK.

And what happened to Aston Martin (and Perez actually)? They were Red Bulls closest challengers not too long ago.

2 Likes

According to Ted, Aston struggle with the higher speed corners hence the apparent step back over last few races. They expect to be challenging for podiums again in Hungary.

2 Likes