F1 - 2023 Season

Same thing for Perez I assume? :wink:

1 Like

Perhaps. Heā€™s supposed to be the street race maestro as opposed to being strong on traditional tracks. Personally I think he caved under the pressure (and RB politics) of being in a title battle after the first stretch of races.

Brands was great. i remember. seeing. Sheen. Agostini. Phil Read. i lived in London
so it was not a long journey for me.

Not Maxā€™s biggest fan but he has a good sense of humour.

Like when Steve Jones said to him ā€œmy partner calls me big boyā€.

Maxā€™s immediate reply ā€œobviously referring to your enormous feetā€.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been following Red Bull for a number of years now, being local to me and I have some friends that work there.

It is nice to see RedBull in ascendence again and I find the fortunes of the racing teams are cyclic.

Mind you, it is very pleasing to see how the improvements have helped MacLaren. This should add some spice to the mix for future races. Lando and Oscar did exceedingly well.

At the beginning of the season, Aston Martin showed good promise, so hopefully, they should get that momentum back.

With the confusion that presently runs through Ferrari, in all areas and the Mercedes improvements not yet working, it may be a while before they make any inroads.

So looking forward to the future races to see what happens. Be nice to some competition against Max, but looking forward to him becoming World Champion for the third time.

DGā€¦

4 Likes

It is starting to look like copying the Red Bull concept really is the one way to go. It worked for Aston Martin, now McLaren is fielding a near replica they also made a huge jump.

Ferrari already moved in that direction as well. Partially abandoning the alternate concept that had them in the fight before.

I was being to think Australians canā€™t cut a break at McLaren. Despite Danny winning their only PG for years struggled. Oscar hadnā€™t looked comfortable all season till last weekā€™s upgrade/race. Iā€™m hoping it continues.

Well even Lando said it is not a good car. Perhaps now we are starting to see why they went to such lengths to poach him.

If Aston does get back to earlier form and manage to win a race, wonder what national anthem gets played?

After all, the anthems for Northampton and Milton Keynes never sound particularly localā€¦

Aston very nearly qualified for the Bucks anthem ā€¦.
I be Bucks be I Bucks
The properties south boundary is the county boundary line

Youā€™ve got to remember; this is Oscarā€™s rookie F1 season and heā€™s up against an outstanding talent in Lando. Danny Ric was an established ā€œstarā€ and Lando effectively ended his career. I think Oscar is doing a great job.

This season there hasnā€™t been much between Oscar & Lando (0.2 average in qualifying??) which all bodes well going forward.

Thereā€™s currently a huge amount of young F1 talent: Verstappen, Russell, Norris, Leclerc, Albon & Piastri (maybe) etc. not to mention the greats; Hamilton & Alonso. Enjoy.

1 Like

Sorry donā€™t think it was Lando at all I think it was a poor car that ended DR career. I do still think his a better driver than at least 50% of the current drivers.

2 Likes

But Lando was in the same car and there was always an obvious difference during the race. Similar to what is happening now with Perez. I donā€™t think it was the car but his state of mind at the time that ended it for him. How much that was his own challenges and how much was added from the team, who knows.

1 Like

They race under a British license. The only other two who do are Williams & McLaren.

Hasnā€™t Verstappen shown enough to move from the first to the second category? Itā€™s his ninth F1 season, so either way I donā€™t think you can call him a young talent any more, despite his age.

2 Likes

Daniel Ricciardo is having a drive in the Red Bull today. Suggestion he made was that if itā€™s a good time thenā€¦ā€¦ Christian Horner was rather a good sport after the GP on Sunday. He was roundly booed by the crowd when he came out for an interview on the central stage at Silverstone, so much so he brought the wife out! He asked the crowd whether heā€™d get more cheers if he put DR back in a car to a huge response. Perezā€™ days may be numbered.

2 Likes

Still amazes me that people go to a sporting even and resort to booing professional sporting figures. How small must your world be to do that?

However he also said they are standing behind Perez for now. I think the best DR is going to get soon is a seat in Alpha Tauri.

I guess weā€™ll see. I donā€™t think the crowd booing was particularly malicious, felt more like banter they also laughed and cheered along with him and he played the panto baddie role with aplomb.

If that is the case it is fine but they also booed when Max went around the track earlier. Have seen some awful fan behaviour on both sides since 2021 sadly.

Only cows say booooh!

2 Likes

Yea, unfortunately I did hear a bit of that. Rather sad - if your a fan of the sport you should appreciate the talent of the drivers.

1 Like