F1 - 2023 Season

Aside from all our feelings about the need for a sprint race, how is an officially sanctioned race that offers points an odd moment to be the deciding moment in the net points needed to win?

2 Likes

They declared the Sprint wasnā€™t a race and therefore should only be called the Sprint and not the Sprint Race. F1 couldnā€™t tell their a**e from their elbow.

1 Like

The best way would be I think, if Perez takes Max out so the title is decided by Perez showing his undisputed talents at driving into other cars.

2 Likes

Obi-Wan Newey on the Beyond the Grid podcast this weekā€¦

1 Like

:laughing:

2 Likes

Or Perez doesnā€™t start the Sprint and Max wins without even racing

1 Like

But he wins the Championship, itā€™s not about that one race or non-race. I donā€™t really see the point (no pun intended) here, his tally does already include points from sprint races. And what if he wins it by the fastest lap point?

Not F1, but in some series you get a point for pole. I donā€™t recall ever hearing any controversy around it.

1 Like

Good grief this season is even worse than the last few, or last dozen, for the average viewer like meā€¦

There are a few great drivers, of all nationalities, capable of winning races and ultimately being champion.

But there is only one car at one particular moment ( be it Red Bull, Mercedes or Ferrari etc.) capable, over a season, of doing it. And one car always dominates.

So so boring. If nobody in the upper echelons of the sport realise this, the sport is dying.

2 Likes

Take Max out of the equation and you have a deliciously close field this yearā€¦closer than ever

5 Likes

No. Take Red Bull out and you have a deliciously close field.

Itā€™s not (so much) the driver, itā€™s the carā€¦

Of course some drivers are better than othersā€¦

Yes, it very much is the driver as well. The car is no doubt a good rocket ship but it takes a driver that can keep extracting the maximum and make no mistakes to actieve this.

2 Likes

How do you explain the performance gap between Alonso and Stroll ?
Or Max and Perez?
They drive the same car.

2 Likes

Thing is, it isnā€™t dying if F1ā€™s dashboard of popularity indicators is accurate? More races on the calendar, crowds are strong/growing, all propelled by marketing which triumphs over product delivery to (us?) long-term viewers. The supposed technical re-set of the cars has achieved very little, all thatā€™s happened is that RBR have displaced the Mercs, well one of them has. IMHO, the more Sky drones on about this and that via itā€™s ā€˜weā€™ve got so much time to fillā€™ saturation coverage, the less interested I become.

Norris to RB?? Albon to McLaren?? Possible I guess.

How do you explain the performance gap between Verstappen and Alonso ?

As I saidā€¦ ā€œItā€™s not (so much) the driver, itā€™s the carā€¦ā€

News ā€¦ Tyre-life limits have been imposed at Qatar because of safety concerns.
Pirelli have imposed a 20-lap limit for new tyres used in the race, and 22 for used.
If the problems recur, drivers will be forced to do at least three pit stops in Sundayā€™s Grand Prix.

They will have a 10-minute session at 14:00 BST on Saturday to adjust to the changes.

hmmm ā€¦ not seen this before, might prove interesting with race time strategy planning if the problem does reacur.

Struggling with your argument here. Current qualifying times this weekend

Gap Max to Alonso 0.591s. Different car

Gap Alonso to Stroll 1.976s. Same car

4 Likes

At the beginning of this year I would not have guessed Mclaren would be so near the front by now. Amazing turnaround!

3 Likes

Congrats to Max. 2x World Champ.

5 Likes

lmao :rofl:

2 Likes