F1 - 2023 Season

Bit sobering.

I was so happy he got it. Perez’s teammate driving 40+ seconds ahead of Alonso in the same machinery watching the battle on the big screens. Perez did not deserve that podium while Alonzo got it in an inferior car.

2 Likes

Max just seems so bored.

Think it’s personality. He seems pretty animated when discussing things with the others in the cooldown room, etc.

Interesting statistic at the end of the second paragraph. Wasn’t always about close racing for the win then!

From the archives: Speed records fall at Monza in 1971 as F1 reaches its nirvana

2 Likes

That day I was there with my father, right on the finishing straight…

2 Likes

Could you share the statistic? The article is behind a paywall.

1 Like

Ah. Well it’s an article about how close the race was, in comparison with the rest of the 1971 season when the average winning margin was over 21 seconds!

1 Like

4 Likes

The answer is obvious Adrian Newey and a much weaker teammate.
Put a better driver in the second car and Max would have a much harder time, you just have to look back at the Lewis/Nico days compared to the Lewis/Valteri period. That Lewis beat Nico 2 against 1 show it was much closer than now.

0.053 seconds.

Alonso is in a car that is around 1 second a lap slower than the car Perez is in, yet he still couldn’t beat him.

It’s because of the characteristics that the Monza track had at that time: there weren’t the chicanes of today and you could get incredible slipstreams. Two years earlier (1969) Stewart had won over Rindt in a photo finish.

Yep, but the point alluded to was that the winner being some distance in front of second place is nothing new….

2 Likes

In a recent interview, Max has been pretty scathing of the Las Vegas track and event. Saying it is more about the show than racing and I totally agree with him. A sign of the creeping Americanisation of F1 that is focused on selling a show, not a race, franchises so the team owners can rake in the cash and stop new teams from arriving in F1.

I am not a football fan but I did hear about the Superleague (or whatever it was called) idea and was pleased when it failed. I hope the FIA stands up to Liberty and the selfish team owners who are more worried about the bottom line than good racing. The top teams are raking it in now there is a cost cap, they still have their lucrative sponsorship deals. I do have some sympathy for James Vowles’s view that for the smaller teams at the back of the grid diluting the prize fund will hurt them more. The way around that is to take some money from the prize fund and allocate it to struggling teams to help them catch up over the next couple of seasons. While I don’t know how this could be worked out, I am sure there are people out there who would.

6 Likes

It’s a 10 year contract and I doubt F1 is going to catch on in the US as big as in the EU. US needs another Andretti. The Liberty Media is betting on the success but will see…

The second paragraph of my comment was more about the franchise system so beloved of American sports and disliked by Europeans. But you do make a good point about Las Vegas having a 10-year contract, it will be interesting to see if the promoters want to carry on that long. In recent years only the Texas track seems to have made a long-term success of hosting an F1 event. Indy came and went.

Max has been damning of Las Vegas so far. calling it 99% show 1% sport. Safe to say he is not a fan of all the crass USA glitter and vapid nonsense. Lewis and Daniel meanwhile are loving it. I am in the Max camp for this.

3 Likes

Daniel will like the show and Lewis wants to go shopping in some haut couture outfit.

Will there be cheerleaders?