F1 - 2024 Season

Guenther Steiner was on local tv tonight, funny guy.

1 Like

No need to feel embarrassed. And certainly not on my behalf.

And I assure you there is no ‘pride’ here. As noted before, if the industry had been largely based in any other country to the same extent, currently and historically, whether Australia, France, Italy or Lichtenstein, then I’d be declaring the same of their position. And I couldn’t give a monkeys which.

I’m pretty sure Pete gets my drift.

I think he has a job with one of the broadcasters?

I do understand but I do find it a little Rue Britannia, but that’s ok no problem back to the racing.

No, there is no ‘Rule’ Britannia on my part. It just is what it is.

Strictly speaking, because the FIA is a French organisation and the FIA sanctions and owns F1 it is a French sport. Of course, FOCA might dispute this as might Liberty.

2 Likes

Lol.

I don’t think the FIA ‘own’ F1, as F1 (be it FOCA or Bernie when he ‘owned’ F1) threatened to set up it’s own regulatory and governing body – to say there’s been an uneasy truce at times between the organisations would be an understatement (per many media reports over the years).

Is it? :thinking:

When I read that this morning I thought: That is going to kick off. LOL.

1 Like

Liberty Media.

Surely if it was French there’d be widespread use of French terms. :grin:

You mean like “Grand Prix” for example?

4 Likes

And parc ferme. :blush:

3 Likes

To be pedantic, that’s borrowed from a French horse race and not all F1 races have been Grand Prix…

Hardly exclusive to F1 within
motorsport… :wink:

Yep

" The only race at the time to regularly carry the name Grand Prix was organised by the Automobile Club de France (ACF), of which the first took place in 1906. The circuit used, which was based in Le Mans, was roughly triangular in shape, each lap covering 105 kilometres (65 mi). Six laps were to run each day, and each lap took approximately an hour using the relatively primitive cars of the day. The driving force behind the decision to race on a circuit – as opposed to racing on ordinary roads from town to town – was the Paris to Madrid road race of 1903. During this race a number of people, both drivers and pedestrians – including Marcel Renault – were killed and the race was stopped by the French authorities at Bordeaux."

and
" Formula One was first defined in 1946 by the Commission Sportive Internationale (CSI) of the FIA, forerunner of FISA, as the premier single-seater racing category in worldwide motorsport to become effective in 1947. This new “International Formula” was initially known variously as Formula A, Formula I, or Formula 1 with the corresponding “Voiturette” formula being titled Formula B, Formula II, or Formula 2.[2] When the 500cc formula was internationally recognised as Formula 3 in 1950 it was never titled as “Formula C” so the three International Formulae were then “officially” titled Formula 1, Formula 2 and Formula 3.[3]"

and in to the modern era of UK based control

Ecclestone formed the Formula One Constructors Association (FOCA) in 1974 with Frank Williams, Colin Chapman, Teddy Mayer, Ken Tyrrell, and Max Mosley. He became increasingly involved with his roles at FISA and the FOCA in the 1970s, in particular with negotiating the sport’s television rights, in his decades-long advocacy for team control.[8]

Ecclestone became chief executive of FOCA in 1978 with Mosley as his legal adviser; together, they negotiated a series of legal issues with the FIA and Jean-Marie Balestre, culminating in Ecclestone’s famous coup, his securing the right for FOCA to negotiate television contracts for the Grands Prix.

2 Likes

Nice to see safety standards have moved on a touch…Though none of that tells me F1 is not a British sport🙂

Even ‘finish’ has French roots :slight_smile: