F1 - 2024 Season

What, as in ‘early…’?

I for one welcome the off-track drama, as there hasn’t been much on-track so far this season… at least in F1.

But did anyone catch 12-hrs @ Sebring?! Pretty good racing indeed.

Moto GP is set to keep us entertained this year as well with rookies and vets all mixed up in action.

1 Like

Not sure if I agree with that. Somehow I do not see F1 as an exclusive British sports. Why exclude Italians and Germans? They have a huge fan base there too.

1 Like

It’s not an exclusive sport. Plenty of other nations join in. But F1 is a British sport.

I guess I do not understand your National psyche.
As I am a recent joiner, I see F1 as an international sports currently. (excluding the history )

1 Like

Fair enough.

" I’m sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half-hour?"

1 Like

You’re late to the party, started nearly a day ago. And there is no argument…:slightly_smiling_face:

And Indian curry is British too? Like tea?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Surely its Italian? the garagisti are just stage dressing for the red cars. :wink:

Well, the Balti is, that’s from Birmingham I believe. And I understand that the best tea comes from Yorkshire. However neither are relevant.

Ferrari is clearly a key member of the supporting cast. If not, the key member. Without Ferrari, I’m confidant global interest would be less strong. F1 would probably be very different and the longest distance travelled to any ‘foreign’ race would be Knockhill (Scotland’s national motorsport circuit in case you didn’t know).

1 Like

But by your own reasoning once something originated somewhere it always belongs to the country that owns that geographical location no matter how it was adopted outside or changed. Therefore Balti is Indian curry and Yorkshire tea is Chinese.

I don’t think you’ve read my reasoning at all. By that logic, baseball would be a British sport and it’s not, it’s an American sport, even if it’s played in Canada, many parts of Central America, South Korea and is Big in Japan.
Untitled

And Yorkshire tea is from India and Africa. Not China.

Disagreeing with a method of reasoning and a different interpretation thereof does not equal not reading it.

And even African and Indian tea would come from China :smile:

Ah, I correct myself, ‘understanding’ would be a more suitable verb…Soz.

‘Tis true, I don’t understand the purpose of the claim. Neither do I understand the rules and boundaries by which it is determined. I’m pretty sure it’s not said with exclusion in mind but as a non Brit it comes across as abrasive.

1 Like

Ah, well that was not the intent, I imagine it will be tricky for someone not from around here to perhaps pick up some subtleties of irony and dark observation within a debate, especially if English is not their first language(?), no matter how otherwise fluent…

However, for the record; you stated ‘.…by your own reasoning once something originated somewhere it always belongs to the country that owns that geographical location…’.

However, that was not what I posited at all, which was '….just remind yourself of the history of the teams involved, what their origins are/were, where the first GP was held, which nation has won most championships since, where most of the mechanics, engineers and support staff live, work and call their home, not only now but for much of the last 74 years.

Overseas cash has flooded in over the last couple of decades or so, as the global corporate machine has decided it’s a great way of spending and making money out of us gullible sorts…’ And: 'And ‘Doesn’t matter what national anthem is played, or where the Euros are coming from, 80% of the cars come out of a small patch of ye olde Engerland. If the home counties and East Midlands disappeared into a long extinct volcano one Tuesday lunchtime, then come Sunday 2:00 GMT you’d have two red cars and two very bright green ones on the grid and that’s it!’

These are not the same thing…Oh, and I should have stated 78 years, not 74. Apologies, the first Formula 1 race was technically in 1946. Soz again. I blame the lost Covid years. Anyway, bored now, moving on…

Even though not a first language English speaker I don’t think that understanding of irony and such is the cause here. Specific local ideas and humor could very well contribute.

But the real thing, I guess, has to do with an ever increasing global sense of exclusion that sadly colours a lot of online comments that has not been said in that spirit.

However, after your response, I know that’s not applicable here. Not that you need me to judge and clear your comments online either :smile:

Indeed.