F1 - 2024 Season

Because the commentator was desperate for something to happen to liven up the race?

The last 5 laps were almost exciting :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:rofl:

Never mind, loads of excitement and overtaking next week as it’s…Monaco! Oh, wait…

1 Like

Yes, he caught it, but I think even if there had been another ten laps it would have been very difficult to overtake him.

:joy:

Yes, but they were not.

The race was won during qualifying and next week is another circuit where overtaking is virtually impossible.

Perhaps this one was won when Max pulled a 7 second lead. At some point at the end Norris was catching at a second per lap. He would have surely gone past.

Perhaps. If Norris had been on pole it would have been very difficult to pass him. Many drivers were following other cars for long periods. There are no heavy breaking areas or slow corners on the circuit plus a shortened DRS zone. Not a good circuit for racing. No idea why Italy has two GPs anyway.

1 Like

With the drive Max had on the mediums? But in the end it’s what if, I guess.

Or OP, had he not been penalised 3 grid places any driver would’ve struggled.

1 Like

The next race will likely be a procession, however, then future races might allow fans to see a close fight for the win.

1 Like

However I wonder what is going to happen when RB understand their update well. They made leaps and bounds from Friday to Saturday. Now it remains to be seen what they can do with the entire race’s telemetry.

I’m old enough to remember the days when an overtake move could take place at Monaco, but sadly as F1 cars have got bigger better faster and more aerodynamic the weekend is more of a party place for F1, drum up the sponsorship do the PR bit, talk the talk etc etc.

If F1 is going to progress then there have to be some tough decisions made and circuits where racing is all but impossible dropped from the calendar.

Nostalgia is all very nice but in the modern era if the track hasn’t evolved to cater for the changes in car design and abilities then processions are all that we are going to watch.

4 Likes

Plus the cars are stupidly big and heavy. So, apart from the circuits and the cars, all is fine.

9 Likes

Awesome graphics :+1:

Older cars were smaller lighter and more agile, on the roads of Monaco overtakes were possible, circuits were able to provide ‘racing’, nowadays driving a F1 round Monaco car must almost be like putting your own car through a breath-in width restriction all the time.

The problem is the cars rather than the circuits. Are these cars something we want to see when they rarely are able to race?
Do we need more development of smaller more fuel efficient cars, even the transition to ev or greater hybrid % in F1, if the sport is to remain relevant?

Problem is, safety (frontal protections) and now hybrid drivetrain, allied to the desire for (faster) aero = longer.

I’m very much with @Collywobbles on this (and others), as the newer cars are the length of a Ford Transit van (or close thereto) and the amount of track re-designing (e.g. wider curbs, reprofiled corners etc), is almost laughable to me, made worse by some highly variable stewarding when it’s clear 2 cars won’t go. With DRS as pretty much the only clean way to pass nowadays on the vast majority of tracks, it’s more a procession – and the amount of blocking driving at times is pathetic IMHO.

Yes, it’s a technical tour de force, but it ain’t ‘sport’ in terms of competition.

5 Likes

I like the greater % hybrid idea but would F1 designers just make the cars bigger again?

What about making the engines 4 cylinder and increase the reliance on battery tech, in addition cut the max weight by 25% by shrinking the car length and width, driver safety must be maintained.

1 Like