F1 - 2024 Season

I don’t like the hybrid or electric idea at all. That is not racing, look a the terrible formula e series. Electric car will fail when it is realised we’ve all been duped.
Just make the car the size of 1988 versions and surely racing would improve, limiting aero etc.
Like grooved tyres, the powers that be have rediculous ideas at times.

1 Like

That is against the whole spirit of F1 though. F1 has always been about development and pushing the boundaries. I just don’t think they are pushing the right boundaries.

2 Likes

I understood that the prime driver behind the bigger cars is safety.

70s, 80s & even 90s cars were like tin cans offering relatively little in driver protection compared to the current cars.

Admittedly, larger vehicles means more advertising space as well…

I don’t imagine the cars will get any smaller so perhaps the answer, alluded to in a previous post, is to adapt circuits to accommodate larger cars & get rid of those that can’t be changed.

Also, as refulling was abolished years ago, why can’t tyre changes be got rid of as well so, baring mechanical problems & punctures, cars are on track for the full race distance & any passing occurs on track & not in the pits?

3 Likes

If memory serves me correctly, races used to be on one set of tyres, only changing them if you had a puncture, races were pretty boring with drivers being overly careful of their tyres and driving within the capabilities of the car to ensure that they had some rubber left at the end of the race, it was a drive of attrition not a race.

What if the number of people in the pit crew was reduced, having a maximum number who can work on the car at any one time, similar to what they do for endurance racing? Let’s say a max of 5 people in the pit box, 2 x wheel changing, 1 x front jack, 1 x rear jack, 1 x stop/go/release.

But if we can’t make the cars smaller because of driver safety then tracks have to be bigger, wider and with space to allow overtaking.

Watched Seb Vettel drive his Senna car. Beautiful V8 wail. Never happen but shame they couldn’t have V8 thunderous sound with modern safety features! (Let alone V10 or 12)

1 Like

As usual Monaco qualifying probs. a lot more entertaining than the race!

Shame for Perez :rofl:

Haas pinged out of qualifying due to rear wing infraction (new wing, engineers not trained on it. Doh!)

McLaren vs Ferrari, just like the old days :grinning:

Merc looking proper racy for the first time in ages (if not absolutely up there).

RBR lost it…

2 Likes

Let’s hope for a good heavy rain shower just after half distance, then a drying track with a further rain shower 10 laps from the end, that should make life interesting.

:rofl:

Kudos to Williams and Alex Albon getting into Q3, Monaco is usually a track where they struggle.

:+1:

2 Likes

Great to see OP on the front row, hope they don’t stuff up his pit stops and he can have a crack at that red car on pole.

1 Like

Leclerc will find a way to c0ck it up

Well, I am still being hopeful for Max.

1 Like

It’s not him im worried about I think OP has had a few bad calls by his own team that have cost him. I’m just hoping they support him as their fast driver in this race.

F3 race just been on. A little bit of overtaking but Monaco even manages to reign that in during a F3 race, which more often than not has more moves than John Travolta on a dance-floor.

Won by Mini, so aptly named!

Mansell (an Aussie and still no relation) in 2nd so he’s getting closer.

And every time I catch sight of Luke Browning (3rd), he so reminds me of a young James Hunt!

Let’s just hope it’s a good race and if Max is going to win from back in the grid he’ll deserve it.

1 Like

Well that was interesting the winner (O’Sullivan) of F2 started the grid on 14th.

1 Like

Sometimes you play the ace!

Hadjar not a happy fella :rofl: (Edit: He’s still fuming on the podium…:laughing:)

I think that’s Zak’s first time on F2 podium, though he was 2nd in F3 championship last year.

I suspect he’ll need a VSC/SC…

Nicer weather in Monaco than here. :sun_with_face: vs :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

He was extremely unhappy

That should not be allowed. Ridiculous. There has to be a max as well as a min number of laps to allow tyre changes. Pit window is x minutes or between laps x and y.

It’s worth remembering that Hadjar was never in the lead of the race. Vershoor was leading from the start and after they stopped the were both down the order in what they like to think of as the virtual lead. Sullivan was lucky but was leading the race before the stop and lucked into the VSC and came back out in the lead. Very lucky but strategy at its finest.

1 Like