F1 - 2024 Season

Good god. that was dull. :sleeping:
Altho I would have probably enjoyed it if I were there.

You could have gone celebrity spotting, far more exciting than the race

1 Like

It’s the best qualifying to watch and often the worst race. Watching the cars qualifying round there is stunning. For periods in the race they were lapping 10 seconds slower than quali.

3 Likes

Not so boring for these blokes: Photographers close to crash - video link

1 Like

Ok it was boring but I was happy for Oscar. Think his a great talent

2 Likes

Yeah think we have a future WDC right there.

1 Like

I wonder (out of desperation!) if FIA could apply a rule kinda the opposite of the yellow flag rule - during clear track conditions, drivers with clear air in front of them who run x% below their capability (maybe x% of quali times but more likely x% throttle used) shall be penalised. The grand prix was awful with the front runners ‘managing tyre wear’ throughout the race following Magnusson’s mad moment. It was totally unworthy of the name Formula 1. I do agree with the earlier poster - quali was top notch. Maybe that’s another option for Monaco - just have quali and leave it at that - fastest driver wins the race!!

Peter

Maybe just have individual timed runs, drivers do 10 timed laps, the driver with the fastest time for the 10 lap sprint gets the points, team result would be the fastest combined time of both drivers.

IMV, when I heard the ‘managing tyre wear’ comments, I wondered when F1 had ceased to become a racing championship (that’s rhetoric BTW), as tyre management aspects have, like several other things nowadays, just create faux drama. The newer F1 cars struggle with the radii of some of the bends at Monaco, so things like the Senna v Mansell jousting of yesteryear is never going to be repeated – and even if there was a substantial performance/grip differential between cars, mucho blocking (all legal nowadays it seems) would be the order of the day.

It’s all about the show now, far less about the go - sadly.

They really do not want to expand the grid.

Yes, it is so very much a polite way of saying “No, really, please just f…k off…”

3 Likes

They don’t want to divide the cake any further.

1 Like

Yeah, imagine having 22 cars racing at Monaco, it would have ruined it.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

More chances for a safety car, so as to boost the benefits of the artificial constructs F1 now relies upon for overtaking :frowning: …as played out in F2.

This will not be a popular suggestion, but perhaps a better suggestion is to ban pit stops under the safety car (always causes difficulty and unfairness as depends where a driver is on the circuit as to the advantage gained, which is just chance - does chance have to be the way a championship is decided?).

Another suggestion maybe to make tyres last the distance anyway so the nonsense of “tyre management” is avoided.

Problems of track design and suitability of car size will not be resolved as too much money is involved.

Also, maybe removing aero and DRS, and having whole race lasting tyres, (and less races in the season) will offer improved racing (overtaking in the real sense on the track rather than a tactical overtake in a pits stop management scenario).

Just have four wheels at the corners of a crash survivable shell of a body, and race (is that not why karting and motor bikes is good racing, as indeed was the racing from the 50’s and 60’s - before the money took over).

It will never happen, and none of our suggestions will make any change, too much money involved, as also with so much else around us.

(Don’t worry, I am unlikely to make more suggestions…)

I like the idea of only having pit stops under green flag conditions, that makes sense and is easy to implement, that would also stop any car changes if the race is red flagged.

One set of tyres wouldn’t work, we saw this in Monaco, the lead cars just go slower and nurse their tyres through the race.

F1 needs to change but as you say the money won’t be interested.

I’m not sure that would solve the problem of chance. Imagine a safety car around a pit window. Making the pit stop just after the safety car when the field’s bunched up would still be quite disadvantageous compared to those who made it just before.

What would be needed, in addition, is something a bit like the VSC, where the gaps would be the same both before and after the SC.

…well I am suggesting not having the compulsory tyre change.
Stop the pit window…
No need for pit stops unless there is a puncture, I am suggesting tyres to last the race. Make them harder compound, and there will be more overtaking without the car in front being on soft so quicker. Tyres for the race will even things up, and with my other suggestions make the field more even.

Nah, I don’t want an even field. That makes for boring racing. I want min and max controls that allow the teams to develop cars that are different to each other. For me that includes free choice of tyres and changes ( within that min and max).

1 Like