F1 - 2024 Season

I very much doubt it, he’s feeling the pressure and it shows.

2 Likes

Even our Sky TV presenters mentioned the swearing and the fact kids are watching. Heck in Holland kids hear all the explicit lyrics of modern music throughout the day on the radio. None of it censored.

Exactly as you say, different cultures, and we British just expect everyone to be like us.

4 Likes

C’mon Pete, where is the Aussie in you :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was an eventful GP this weekend amid a good season. A new race winner too so there is a lot to like.

The Maclaren situation was clumsy and the radio traffic was bad they should have pitted Piastri first. Piastri did a good job and deserved a win but the clumsiness of the team took the shine off of it. I can understand Lando’s position though at the end he was faster on older tyres but he did the right thing and in the long run, it will help him.

The Verstappen incident with Hamilton was to a degree inevitable but a racing one all the same. It seemed to me Max was coming into the corner too hot and was not going to make it no matter how much room Hamilton gave him.

Verstappen is under pressure now and that is a new thing for him to deal with from faster opponents. A great prospect for race fans for the 2nd half of the season.

I suspect that Perez has run out of time as Redbull won’t like being under threat for the construction title due to a weak 2nd driver when both Maclaren, Mercedes and Ferrari drivers are capable of winning.

4 Likes

Perez is awful. How long before he is ejected?

2 Likes

They need a new type of seat for that …

7 Likes

That’s my take on it and can’t understand why the stewards didn’t give him a penalty.

1 Like

He’s not awful, he’s just on an awful run of form at the moment but RB will have their eye on the constructors championship and that is in jeopardy unless Checo finds some form. They may not have the patience to see if he rediscovera his form.

Amen, brother. :+1:

I am less sure that Max should have received a penalty it seemed to be just a lack of judgment as to how late he could brake (a bit of red mist perhaps) rather than breaking any specific rules requiring a penalty.

I agree some of it is cultural differences and I had to adjust to Dutch perspectives when I worked for a spell in the Netherlands ( I am from the UK) quite a few years ago. At first dutch attitudes can seem very forward and even rude to British sensibilities but one learns it is more about being direct and honest. I made some good friends while I was there and we had a good time.

However, while Max is not a terrible person and yes he is Dutch he is also an F1 driver and one with a singular focus on winning and at times what he sees as his right to be winning. This can spill over into being right all the time and complaining about other drivers if they do the same. This is not unusual for successful F1 drivers, especially in the modern era. Schumacher, Hamilton, Alonso, and Vettel to name a few have/had similar traits.

It is also true that aligned supporters/fans find it difficult to see fault in their guy.

Land Norris also showed some of that singular focus and superiority view when he took his time allowing Piastri to pass for the win. He would not be a potential race and world champion winning material if he did not.

4 Likes

I thought his takes on his lap 1 turn 1 error, his criticism of the RB strategy, and the late error with Hamilton shows a pattern of him simply being unable to accept that sometimes it’s just him who screws up. It’s not cultural. He’s arrogant and petulant. If you like that, fine. I don’t.

8 Likes

Thats interesting and a viewpoint different to my own but very valid. I raced at a very high level many years ago and often speak with my old opposition and virtually without exception we agree on racing incidents.
I would the say on first corner incident he did nothing wrong, we had Oscar taking a line which he would only lock up or run a wide angle as he would not get to the appex correctly. We had Lando deciding to squeeze Oscar, which was an error in my view, its the second time he has done this in 3 races and came out worst. He made a space for Max on the racing line, any driver would take that opportunity or wouldn’t be in f4 let alone F1. Good driving from all three avoided contact and possibly all 3 being out.
I agree the Red Bull strategy was very poor, they can no longer make any strategy work and left him out of position on a track very difficult to overtake. I feel his radio messages were not necessary although I see his frustration, Red Bull need to address their strategy instead of asking him the impossible.
On the incident with Lewis, he attempted a legitimate overtake, maybe with too much red mist, but nothing wrong with that, Lewis could have moved left as he locked up at taken the corner from a wider angle and no contact would normally happen in a common incident like that. The stewards said pretty much the same.
“He’s arrogant” well yes, to degree, but none of the greats aren’t, Lewis and Alonso included. You cannot do what they do without being so. Maybe this will be Lando’s and Charles’s down fall, they are too self effacing.

4 Likes

Did MR just include Lewis amongst ‘The Greats’ ? :flushed::flushed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s not a matter of liking Max’s attitude ( I did not say I did) or anyone else’s I am expressing a view that F1 drivers are a different animal to the rest of us some of their personality traits are not especially likeable in normal company but that is the way it is.

It is also true that just because they behave like that on the track they are not necessarily like that away from it.

2 Likes

yes, never doubted Lewis as a great even from his Karting days. Simply not the Goat.

I am not sure there can be a greatest of all time just the greatest in their time. The different eras present different challenges it is virtually impossible to objectively judge the greatest between them all.

That’s not to say it isn’t fun to try. I have my views on who may be the GOAT but I doubt everyone would agree.

Still, as far as this era goes this season is certainly shaping up to be one of the very best and it is shaping up for an even better 2nd half.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree, when you have people like Nico Hulkenberg never been on the podium but how many championships would he have won in the Mercedes over the last 10 years.
Unfortunately you need in the best or close to the best car because generally any one of 10 current drivers could be champion with a car advantage, thats F!

3 Likes

I think I agree with you albeit, makes Chico’s current predicament all the more peculiar.

Peter

Well, i do have a view on my GOAT and i’m shure that not everyone would agree with it. But i’m going to say it anyway. John Surtees. 6 times world motorcycle champion and 1 time F1 champion. In fact during his time racing he won plenty of other championships as well. He could easily have been a 2 times F1 champion as well for it not for the fact that Ferrari messed him about over the 1966 LeMans race. In fact Ferraris stupidity over the LeMans race not only cost JS the chance to win LeMans in 1966 but it defo cost Ferrari and JS the F1 championship that year because JS “walked” from Ferrari never to go back. The biggest mistake Enzo Ferrari ever made was underestimating how good JS was, and Ferrari then spent years in the doldrums with overpaid under performing drivers.
In my mind much as Enzo is revered within F1, Count Agusta knew exactly how good JS was.

6 Likes