F1 - 2024 Season

This may be the funniest one yet…

7 Likes

Racing incidents, sure. I don’t really disagree with that. But Max does (did?). He clearly blamed the other driver in each case. Lando “ran him off the track” (no, he didn’t), and Lewis “turned nto him” (also no). Max accepted no responsibility in either case.

2 Likes

That first one I don’t think he had much responsibility in.

Norris created space by trying to squeeze Piastri.
Verstappen naturally moved into it.
Piastri moved in Norris’ direction (probably not realising Verstappen was the other side of him)
Norris moved to avoid a collision.
Verstappen moved to avoid a collision (probably not realising Norris’ move was forced by Piastri)

I.O.W. a racing incident, but at the time it was understandably viewed differently by Verstappen.

Second one? No such excuse, but is it any different than any other driver reacts in similar situations? Heat of the moment et al.

1 Like

IMHO, the 1st corner incident was a classic 3 in to 2 won’t go, and Piastri held his space, so Norris had to allow room. Was MV a victim, perhaps, but this is 1st corner racing. As you allude, MV’s crime was to gain advantage by going off-track, and instead of recognising his team’s greater appreciation of events at T1, he started moaning about it.

Re the Hamilton incident, the overhead shot suggests MV may have made the corner under severe braking, but using a very different line to LH – i.e. akin to something like a block-pass the 'bikes use. I’d like to see an analysis of the telemetry to understand the envisaged lines, and where LH would have found himself on track if he hadn’t turned in. This said, attempting a dive bomb from so far back was always going to be fraught with risk…and so it turned out to be.

2 Likes

Never been a fan of Hamilton.
However, over the past few years, and particularly this year, I’ve earned a newfound respect. LH is beginning to give MV some of his own medicine back and good luck to him. He’s undoubtably one of the all-time greats and can’t wait for his battle with Leclerc at Ferrari. You’ve got to admire his stamina and mental strength to compete in F1 for so long. He’s still got immense speed & talent, but The Young Guns are not getting any slower… bring it on!!

4 Likes

That doesn’t give Max an excuse for the way he spoke to his team, I get it that it’s high stakes etc but to sht on those that are trying to help you is just poor form.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to Spa Francorchamps. It’s habit to watch this one with family and friends for about ten years now.

2 Likes

The official Max response to this is: ‘if you don’t like what I say, turn down the volume of your TV’.

2 Likes

Yes I get that as well, but why should I you don’t or shouldn’t talk to people like that publicly. Sorry I think he’s a great driver but as hard as I try I can’t warm too him. I know it’s only what I see he maybe the nicest guy on the planet but it’s not what I see. Sorry I know he’s one of yours.

1 Like

I think it’s a 2nd home GP for the Dutch and the British.

1 Like

And a special circuit in my humble opinion.

1 Like

Pete I totally agree to that and I’ll never speak bad of others publicly too - it’s part of my beliefs I think.

When I started to work about 25 years ago, I had an assignment in Rotterdam. The big European port. Folks are incredibly direct there and as engineer for one of their software suppliers I got al the flak. They do separate private and business though so after having had all crap dumped on me, they also supported and kind of embraced me.

Exactly that’s my main complaint, I’ve sacked staff for speaking like that to their people. Say what you want behind closed doors. So let’s move on, there’s an interesting race this weekend. Redbull are under pressure now. Last weekend was all about the manufacturers points imo.

2 Likes

I note that Lando is bookies heavy favourite at Evens or even odds on in some places.

2nd fav are Oscar & Max at 4/1!

You can get 10/1 on Lewis or George… :thinking:

Tough to call though, factor in differing weather conditions across the circuit and 2/3 of it being resurfaced but the other 1/3 is still old tarmac!

I’ll wait and see how the grid pans out, Oscar was pretty hot off the 3rd last week.

I am hoping for a wet qualifying and race as it was a few years ago, so Williams and Albon can go one better than George did. Well, OK not really, but I wouldn’t be unhappy if Williams scored big points and Yuki was the top-placed drinks company car.

I do think a bit of rain during the weekend could make it a very interesting race, just not a big drenching that forces the race to be stopped.

1 Like

Circuit has been resurfaced. Apprently great in the dry but very slippy in the wet!

1 Like

He’s probably not very nice, and he certainly isn’t very nice to me. But when Max drives like he did today it’s a real phenomenon…

2 Likes

Bet Leclerc is out of the top 3 within four laps.

1 Like

His car was obviously good today as Perez was also quick.