F1 - 2024 Season

I think next year or once Lando cannot mathematically win the driver championship this year, then the team will revert to don’t crash into each other and leave them to fight and win the constructors championship.

Understandable from the teams perspective, but don’t you hope that Piastri ignores them? I do.

1 Like

Gives RBR something to think about though. ‘Hey Checo, see that Papaya no. 4 coming round to lap you? Do something about it please…’

1 Like

I think that Oscar needs to consider moving on from McLaren. Personally I feel he is just as talented as Lando and being relegated to 2nd best moving forward, it is just too early in his career. Once this McLaren change is made there is no going back and I think will be probably impact Oscar’s attitude and desire moving forward. How too immediately “take the wind out of his sails” , McLaren should be ashamed.

2 Likes

Tbf though it’s Lando that’s put the hard yards into the team and stuck with them over the years, despite clearly being better than his car for most of that time. Now he gets the deserved payback.

1 Like

Couldn’t disagree more. If Lando is that good why does he need help from Oscar. To each their own.

2 Likes

Ask M Schumacher. He spent large chunks of his career with Irvine and Barrichello
deliberately backing up the rest so he could clear off into the distance. It did become very boring.

1 Like

That seems a bit of an over reaction at this point, as far as I’m aware this isn’t a, going forward Oscar will always be the #2. This is, Oscar might be asked to help out if in position this year but one would assume things will reset again next year.

2 Likes

At this time I think it’s more a case of two very equal drivers on the brink of taking each other (and their team) out of a grand prix. The recent passes required one of them to give ground and I suspect their competitive spirits and relative youth will remove any such flexibility. That’s why senior management was required to intervene in my opinion and it will be interesting to see if they can work together towards the end of this season or if Oscar will feel better served moving on - subject to competitive seats being available! Hoping they will stick at it next season as they are both terrific drivers.

Peter

1 Like

If Lando is the better driver than why are even having this conversation, the simple truth is he struggles in from line and the first corner.

Oscar I’m sure will comply but means he may have to surrendered places to keep Lando safe till his settled.

1 Like

It would be better if Checo got his act together and raced in front of the McLaren’s to slow them down if RBR are going to win the constructors championship. Not sure that that is going to happen though.

He is more talented IMO. I think he has the potential to end up in the Hamilton/Verstappen league. But as history has shown, that potential doesn’t always manifest itself, so we’ll have to wait and see.

OMG Lando :sob:

Sky News reporting that George is under investigation for failing to slow under a yellow.

Just terrible luck. He cannot say “same old Saturday” like Lewis did. What happened to those Williams? Where did that Q1 performance come from and how did they manage to mess it up afterwards? :flushed:
Should be an interesting race. Keep an eye on those news kids. :grinning:

3 Likes

Right after the (rumoured) team orders. Karma?

He collapsed under pressure.

No, caught out by a yellow flag should not have been displayed. Ocon was moving and offline when Lando approached, a marshall made a mistake, Lando seeing the yellow flag did the right thing and slowed, so failed to progress to Q2.

I think it was just bad luck, although several drivers lost out due to “quick” yellow flags in Q1. I think Leclerc had his first lap compromised because of it (IIRC).
Surely if Max finishes on the podium tomorrow then its over for Lando’s WDC shot. Piastri putting it on P2 was a nice touch in light of the whole team orders debate :rofl:

I thought that came out after he had driven up the kerb though and lost time already.