Favourite HOT sauces (and BBQ sauces !)

Some of these sauces are truly versatile. Here are what Dave’s Gourmet suggest as alternative uses for their Insanity Sauce.

2 Likes

I would have agreed about Daddies until recently but have discovered Stokes version - that really is the Daddy

It’s up there for sure - we are conducting field trials ourselves at the moment. Certainly superior to HP - a match for Daddies? …not sure…it’s got something though.

We went to Marrakech a couple of years ago - my wife and I, plus my three kids stayed at the Mandarin Oriental, we all enjoyed the breakfasts but our youngest really wanted brown sauce.

We asked if they had it - alas no (somewhat surprising!) but said they’d have a go at making some - to which we nervously agreed, and supported with some Google research.

The next day there was some sauce, and it was certainly brown, but that’s where the similarities ended.

It’s subsequently been referred back to as the “Sauce that was Brown”

The following days attempt was much closer (more tamarind, more vinegar) and satisfied the boy.

Since then - whenever we go away - we take sachets of HP that I harvest from chip shops and cafes whenever I get the chance. They travel in a little pouch with the tea bags. How much more British could we be??

2 Likes

And this is the king of hot sauces!

3 Likes

That one is very nice. You could fill several cupboards with different Asian chili oils/sauces.
Try looking for those that have added dried shrimp. They tend to not have so much msg added to ramp up the Unami.

2 Likes

This stuff is fabulous. Spicy but without being harsh (unlike every potential replacement I have tried). But have to buy from Bakers and Larners of Holt and they haven’t had any in stock for months now. Discovered on a holiday in Norfolk in 2013 - bought in random little shop and then didn’t find again for 2-3 years when I bought about 50 quids worth in one go from Bakers and Larners - but just run out and cannot get any more :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Apologies for overly posting on this thread.
Stirring my chili mash reminded me of the few times I have made Winkie Juice.
Some years ago the good robots of YouTube thought better to awaken me to Winkie juice.
Basically an immune boosting and toxic clear out medicine.
Forget your fancy bloody Mary’s. A shot of this with some vodka - or not will bring back even Oliver Reed from the dead.

Perhaps an ideal lockdown project. As you won’t want to be too far from the loo…

2 Likes

I’m 51, but :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I have been pondering sharing my introduction to the benefits of fresh mint tea via colonic irrigation in the Tea thread, but I think I’ve been beaten to the punch!

2 Likes

Where do I sign up for Winkie Juice?

1 Like

I like all Harissa pastes that I’ve tried, but my favourite is Rose Harissa:

We’re Ottolenghi fans here and this is one of his signature ingredients. His pasta sauce from tomatoes, olives and rose harissa is a favourite.

Roger

3 Likes

That’s the one!

Thanks for the Ottolenghi sauce recommendation Roger. I will check it out.

Best, Chris

Totally agree - I always keep the green, red and the one in the photo, the chile habenero in the fridge.

We do roasted carrots with harissa - and optionally other vegetables too (parsnips).

1 Like

Jug juice #1

I decided to just mix the mash with apple cider vinegar. Then in a sterilised Kilner type jar kept in the fridge.
The short fermentation has given it a tang along with the apple and fruity naga.
Absolutely amazing. Will go with anything porky.

2 Likes

Perfect! …bit of roast pork, crackling and a glass of something cold. Sorted.

1 Like

This is very addictive:

1 Like

I came across this in Trinidad a few years ago, and bought a bottle home. The Moruga Scorpion has a claim to be the world’s hottest chilli, and it’s certainly not for the feint hearted.
I tried a tiny spot of it, and it nearly blew my head off. I gave the bottle to a friend who I knew liked very hot chilli, and he promptly downed a teaspoon full. His face turned bright red within seconds, he started sweating profusely and I thought he was about to pass out. Turns out he was actually enjoying it!

3 Likes

Kaitaia Fire

From the far north of New Zealand. Similar in heat to standard Tabasco sauce but more fruity.
Very versatile. Not as hot as scorpion sauce and some others here but all the better for that.

1 Like

I think they used to have that on the tables in GBK in the UK - and recall it being very nice indeed!

Makes sense as I think GBK are a Kiwi outfit :new_zealand:

1 Like

YES. This one right? Superb also with fried rice dishes.

1 Like