Favourite Naim Gear

I thought you might mention the 272 Pete. In fact I’m surprised others haven’t also as a while back it was getting big raps from most that owned it

Said before think it was the best preformed and best value product they’d made this century.

Yes Big Bang for Buck

I also think the SN3 is excellent value for money and potentially put the 202/200 to rest as now discontinued albeit maybe only for a while

1 Like

The 250 was a huge improvement over the 200, for some reason I could never extract any decent bass and blamed my speakers.

1 Like

Yes I went through a phase of thinking about the 200 however our illustrious dealer put me in my place ha

Speaking of our dealer I’m in Sydney for 5 days at the end of the month I’m hoping my speakers will be ready for pick up.

1 Like

Should be well and truly here by then one would think :+1:

Nait2 and QB2

Interesting. As much as I love my UnitiQute2 (and I think it is a fabulous little box), I do consider it a flawed, compromised design.

The long term viability of all the Uniti models are shackled by the streaming platform, the module being non removable / serviceable / upgradable, and also being dependent for control on a third party electronic device and an App, and not to mention a screen that dies after a few years. Even with those flaws, I really still rate my UQ2 as one of the best value Naim components I’ve ever owned.

If only the streaming part of the Unitis could have been modular in construction!

1 Like

A very good point YetiZone

Linn seems to have gone the way of being able to upgrade/replace the streaming board

Makes sense to me

1 Like

I was going to say the same , and add the Powerline

It is when the Nova is partnered with the Powerline and decent speaker cable that it sings

Agree. Although I’ve never owned a 272, I’ve heard and used one a number of times and really liked everything about it. If local streaming is all that’s needed, it makes great sense as the heart of a simple pre / power set up.

2 Likes

For sound quality, the NDX2, 252 and 250 and I’d rate the NDX2 as the jewel it’s all built on.

For lifestyle and confidence, the Nova.

Off course, affordability and “willingness to pay” influences my view.

2 Likes

Looks as if no-one else has yet named this so I’m unable to resist plumping for …

NACA5

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

For me it is the:

Superline.

Richard

1 Like

Well good one Svetty

It’s certainly stood the test of time that’s for sure

1 Like

Nait and 12/160

To add to my original answer to this question posed by Bevo on a different thread, I’ve given this some further consideration and I think it has to be the NAC42/NAP110 combination. It’s where Naim came of age, so to speak; if the bolt-down era was where Naim established its performance credentials then the introduction of the “chrome bumper” sleeve and tray brought a degree of polish to the aesthetics and firmly established Naim’s ideas and product range. The NAC42 and NAP110 introduced the “chrome bumper” era and the extruded sleeve and inner tray - it must have been good as essentially the same extruded sleeve and tray are still being used by Naim today, albeit with even further refinement. It not only looked good back then in '79, it still looks good and contemporary today, always an indicator of great design.

As for sound quality, it was the benchmark of its time, and it can still surprise and thrill with its performance today. It was expensive kit when it was introduced (Naim has never been cheap) but it has held its value well over the years. In spite of that, it’s still a great value secondhand and makes for a great buy; it can still be fully serviced by Naim and Naim’s approved service partners. It can be a great place to start out with Naim kit, and if you decide never to move on from your NAC42/NAP110, who am I to argue with that…?

12 Likes

Did the 42.5 preamp bring any real refinement over the 42 Richard in terms of SQ ?