Favourite Naim Gear

Yes, the division of supply to pre-amp and phono boards brought some performance gains, but only really when used with a dual rail supply. Main change with the NAC42 was first, the move after a year to a slightly deeper chassis (this became the norm from then on), then the move away from the “artwork” main PCB, and the introduction of the ALPS Black Beauty volume pot.

Apologies for questions Richard

Can the 42 or 42.5 be used with the HiCap of the time ?

Yes, the early iterations of the HICAP had a single rail 24V supply on line of the DIN4s as well as the 2x24V supply on the DIN5. This way it could be used with earlier single rail pre-amps - NAC12, NAC22, NAC32 and NAC42. The single rail supply on the HICAP was dropped around '93 but by doing so it also gave a performance lift on the dual rail output. Because of this, many earlier HICAPs have had their single-rail supply disabled at time of service, which is a Naim approved modification. Personally, I elected to keep the single-rail supply on my own CB HICAP so I can use it with my early single-rail Naim pre-amps as well as the later dual-rail ones.

I never particularly liked the look of those control knobs - tractor wheels, I believe they used to be called, and I think that the ‘house style’ improved markedly when the small pale grey knobs were adopted. But the shoebox case was a lovely design.

Did Naim ever have a styling ‘guru’, Richard, or was it just a pure iteration of FFF (form follows function)?

The little grey plastic knobs came first with the NAC12, 22, and 32. I like the big “tractor wheels” although I do know of a few who really don’t like them at all (Adam)…

Naim have had various inputs over the years into the physical design of the kit, not least from Therefore who were behind the Classic kit, and Simon Matthews who worked for Therefore and eventually became group design director for Focal and Naim.

You can read a bit more here;

https://www.naimaudio.com/connection-magazine/18481/sound-designs

and is now with B&W.

Correct. IIRC he had had some input on some earlier B&W stuff such as the headphones.

For me it’s a three-way tie: NAT01, 52 and 135. If pushed I would give the 135s top place because they opened up the world of active speakers for me back in 1980’s. It’s a sound I never tire of, whatever the source.

I think that’s a little bit harsh. Unitis are certainly serviceable, including the 1st gen streaming board which was serviceable, and when later versions were released, upgradeable. They were also completely controllable with the supplied remote if you didn’t want to use the app, unlike the current models.

2 Likes

Harsh? Maybe, but perhaps not if wanting to stream from any of the current mainstay providers (outside of Spotify that is). Ah, so the streaming board was serviceable to a point then - I stand corrected, thanks for the detail as I wasn’t aware the later version were upgradable. The Uniti amplifier sections I’m sure will be serviceable, although I guess pretty challenging due to how tightly packed each box is. For local streaming, they are still BRILLIANT in every way though (I do like them despite my criticism).

Realistically though, does anyone use the remote other than for set up, volume & play/pause? I guess I’m in the minority as I find it really clunky if having to navigate album selection and general operation using the standard Unity handset.

I use the remote to switch sources, for volume, for track pause, and very occasional journeys through the menu system. The remote is accessible as my UQ1 (with the UQ2 updated streaming board inside) runs our TV audio too. But not for browsing through music!

Well, considering the thousands of pages that the 272 has sparkled on this forum, I’m also very surprised to see it so rarely mentioned in this type of post. To me, that’s THE number 1, for all the reasons mentioned over and over. At least to me, after having gone through ~10 entry to mid-level Naim devices. So far, that is. Though, given the Brexit and the fact that I don’t live in the UK, it’s going to be very difficult to keep with Naim on the long term :frowning:. We’ll see what the future will bring.

My top 3 are …

Aro. A stunning piece of mechanical engineering especially for an electronics company.
DBL. Once heard never forgotten (Naim seem to be quite good at the mechanical stuff).
Anything in a chrome bumper case.

Ok so I cheated on the last item but I don’t think anybody is going to flame me for this.

I order of preference and amazing sound and all Olive:

Naim Aro

NAC 52 + Supercap

NAP 250

15 Likes

Wow, only one vote for 300DR so far?
Make that two.

I love what Supercaps do & while I’ve not heard many phonostages, Superline too.

I will always look back on my CB 32/SNAPS/250 with great fondness. A beast with a strong heart :heart:

1 Like

Va!ue sensitive: NDS and SN2 …

1 Like

I must say I’m rather fond of my CB 32.5/HiCap/250. Seems to hit the spot with the nSATs. I’m pretty sure at one stage in the early/mid 80’s I did have the 42/110 combo

Richard there was the 32 preamp that morphed finally into the 72. And the 42 preamp morphed finally into the 92

Was the 32 considered an overall “better” preamp than the 42?

Thanks

The NAC42 was developed into the NAC62. The NAC92 was a different design, aimed at a new lower entry price point for a Naim pre-amp, along with the partnering NAP90/3 and optional Flatcap power supply.

The original bolt-down NAC32 was essentially a NAC12 with additional inputs, tape monitoring facility, and mono and mute functions. Then it became the NAC32 in the extruded sleeve (and eventually the dual-rail capable NAC32.5) and it was considered the flagship Naim pre-amp at the time.

1 Like

Interesting reading about the older kit. I have just received a brochure from the early days and in that it states that the nac 32 comes with both mc and mm cards. I have never seen this though?

Personal favourite is the 552/300 that I now have. I’ve found that with Naim the more the cost the better the sound quality. On the other hand my favourite for value for sound quality produce per pound spent is the sc/(2)82/250. It is a peach of a combination. Best looking is the CB Nait2, obviously. :slight_smile:

My recollection is that the user could have either an MM or an MC cartridge, depending on the card used (323 or 325, perhaps?) in the preamp. So either/or, but just not both together.

Mr Dane or some other sage will confirm shortly, no doubt.