Feature request thread

It should be that Shuffle defaults to off automatically when you select a different album or playlist. Basic stuff I would have thought.

Yep. For me, I’d prefer Shuffle to always return to ‘off’. Just assumed there might be some who prefer ‘on’, so the ability to change the default to an individual user’s preference might be more useful.

2 Likes

Do you mean with system automation? If so:

if you go to http://<ip_address>/webclient/ - replacing “<ip_address>” with the IP address of your player - you have a “developer-focused” web player!

My feature requests

1. Make Chromecast work with Sirius XM. It just hangs and quits (perhaps this is a bug fix)
  2. Integrate Deezer Hifi. They cater more to my musical tastes than Tidal.
  3. For Tidal, add MQA support. You will be losing Uniti Atom sales to the Simaudio Moon ACE without this as they now support Airplay and Spotify Connect as well as Tidal Connect. Make it so you can disable MQA for those that don’t want to use it.
  4. Add support for Amazon Alex and similar.
  5. If you add Alexa support, Amazon Music HD would be logical to integrate as well, although I am not impressed with this service personally,
  6. Add the ability to turn the screen on and off from the remote. No point in burning it up on an input icon. As soon as you change inputs, though, make it relight.
  7. Add the ability to switch to mono output for those irritating old mixes that are vocals on the right and instruments on the left or Youtube videos with similar imbalance or only a single active audio channel. It could be accessed from audio settings and make sure there is a big icon on the screen indicating you are in mono. Make it revert back to stereo when you switch to standby and restart later.

Love my Uniti Atom. Bought it in September over a SImAudio Moon ACE.
Dennis

Tone controls on the Uniti range. Bass and treble controls within the app or perhaps a list of predefined sound settings that can be selected (boosted bass + treble, reduced bass + treble, enhanced midrange, reduced midrange).

1 Like

I can answer that one immediately - Naim does not believe in tone controls. It is a core Naim brand value to deliver authentic sound – as the original artist and their studio engineer and producer intended it to be heard.

7 Likes

That’s rather disappointing as it doesn’t recognize the fact that not all music is mastered / mixed in the same way. I love my system with most music, but there are always albums or genres where that little bit of tweaking may lead to a more musical experience. At least this clarity will help my decision making when it comes to future purchases. Thank you.

Totally understand - we’d just rather stay authentic to the original sound.

2 Likes

I must say that this has always struck me as a quite perverse decision by Naim. The “authentic to the original sound” is a nonsensical concept when everyone’s hearing is different, most people don’t use the same loudspeakers as the original producer, or listen in the same acoustic setting.

Naim does risk becoming left behind as the world moves on, especially as tone controls can be easily implemented in the digital domain.

Best

David

2 Likes

Room-compensation DSP is used on Mu-so (and Naim for Bentley, for obvious reasons) but that’s a separate issue to bass-boosts etc

Permanent watch display please. Especially while on hdmi input.

4 Likes

It is perhaps an interesting point. I’m personally partial to tonal controls, but we do see that most of the talk around new firmware versions relates to perceived tonal changes. Since Naim appears to do some (limited) tweaking to the digital stage before releasing firmware, this means that these changes are stored somewhere in the firmware.

It might not be such a crazy idea if there were for instance a number of different presets available that would change the curve with different optimisations, so that people could choose the one they prefer. This could potentially reduce a lot of the discussion around firmware sound quality, and could give users just a bit more control to match their streamer/DAC with the rest of their equipment and/or listening environment.

1 Like

As with everything on this thread, it’ll get discussed!

2 Likes

I had tone controls on my Arcam Alpha amp but although I tried them I never used them. Because they cover a broad range they either do too much or not enough. Neither fish nor fowl.

I use Roon to control a bass room mode and add a touch of treble lift for my hearing.

Small update as one was recently implemented (thanks!) and I understood that another is not possible as Google doesn’t allow it.

2 Likes

Great point re Roon’s DSP engine - @Davor this may address your needs; worth a try on a free trial, at least.

Thanks for this suggestion Clare; much appreciated as I know form other posts that you genuinely care about your customers. I have considered Roon, but this requires additional investment in the software itself + the rock / nucleus. Not sure many Uniti range owners would consider this a cost effective solution for a problem that only affects a small percentage of their listening materials. I’m aware that some Roon users pay for customised DSP filters etc. Perhaps there could be an opportunity for Naim to set up a chargeable service to produce user-specific DSP filters to shape the sound of Uniti models. This would increase the company revenue, maximize enjoyment of the products and would keep Naim in line with its competitors.

1 Like

There is a cost to be able to run Roon but it can be kept down to a few hundred quid including the subscription to Roon. The Nova is already Roon Ready so you just need something to run Roon core on - a budget laptop will do unless you are hammering DSP.

2 Likes

Will feed all that back. Worth noting you don’t need to buy Roon hardware to enjoy Roon. Plenty here using Raspberry Pi variants; I use it via my QNAP NAS drive (many NAS drives are now Roon Ready)

2 Likes