Football season 2022 - 2023

Not everyone sees the world this way but ultimately I am a fan of football. I support my club and country (Wrexham AFC and Wales) and have no second team weirdness etc. but I love good football. I’m no fan of the EPL but the best football there this season is being played by Arsenal and United and if it wasn’t quite a classic yesterdays game was the best game of the season and a joy to behold.

4 Likes

There we go. An absolute feast of entertainment at Craven Cottage tonight. Topped off with Harry equalling Greavesy’s record.

:grin:

All banter aside an Arsenal supporter it’s very easy to get giddy after 19 years without a Championship trophy but City have been here before more than once they’ve chased down Liverpool several times who one time had 55 points at this stage I believe.

Injuries will be our downfall without a doubt the our recruitment next week is very, very important.

3 Likes

Maybe injuries or maybe the gaffer will crack. He seems to run a bit hot. I mean he did look a tit on Sunday. The players seem more controlled. Fergie would have loved him in the hot seat with ten games to go

Atb
Kk

1 Like

As a ManU supporter, credit to Arsenal for their performance so far this season, and their close but deserved win over ManU at the weekend. The match certainly put into perspective the snooze fest and lack of quality at Anfield the day before.
Arsenal’s two matches versus ManC could potentially give them the title if they get at least 2 points, or throw it wide open if they get none. I always thought Arteta was such a calm individual, but his burgeoning touchline histrionics look more and more ridiculous. I do worry about his health if the pressure does ramp up. :rage:

4 Likes

There are certain clubs where it’s not the manager …

Thanks for all your concern but I’m sure Arteta will be fine.

Compared with some of the rubbish served up by recent Man U managers and players, Im happy with the progress being made by Ten Hag, sure im disappointed to have lost against Arsenal and only draw against Palace- but the bigger picture is we are heading in the right direction and in Martinez, Dalot, Casemiro, Varane and a couple of others have the makings of an excellent team
The overall squad needs strengthening and a few need to leave at seasons end
For this season I wanted top 4 - and think we now have a very good chance of securing that

2 Likes

maybe he will do a Kevin keegan!!

After Harry retires (and long may he continue playing) I foresee ITV relaunching the Saint and Greavsie programme, but this time Harry and, say, Crouchie.

You read it here first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Before he came to England and when Mikel Arteta was still playing Pep called and asked him for his help and to offer him a job as his No2.

Recently when asked about his ‘apprentice’ Pep looked perplexed and said he had learned as much from Mikel Arteta as he had taught him.

Sure Arteta wears his heart on his sleeve but I think we are witnessing the start of a long and very successful career and we Arsenal fans now feel very lucky.

Yes many wanted him gone but I can tell you that not one would want him to leave.

1 Like

I’m surprised clubs keep employing him as he’s a serial failure.

He should have stayed at Derby, Wayne Rooney did a superb job in the harshest of circumstances

2 Likes

I’ve often wondered…

1 Like

& @Ian2001

Perhaps both him & Gerrard should have spent rather longer in lesser leagues learning their trade before taking over larger clubs where expectations appear higher than their abilities at such an early stage in their managerial careers?

They are both young men by managerial standards, so I don’t understand the rush to take a top job with such limited experience, or club owners willingness to appoint managers with little or no track record at the level they are expected to produce wining teams at.

3 Likes

Not sure Rangers would agree with you regarding SG…

1 Like

Think I know what you mean, but Rangers are a long way from a premiership club that is expected to win trophies/titles & european places, etc.

So Gerrard to Norwich ?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Not sure one year in Lampard and Gerrard were expecting to win that many medals at home or in Europe with Everton or Villa.

But yes, I would agree that these two young English Managers need more time to get their Managerial skills to a level where they can challenge with their clubs. One could argue Lampard was a little rash going to Chelsea so early but the important thing is they are young and can still learn.

What I don’t get is all this armchair criticism (from people who don’t run clubs) for a couple of homegrown talents who did not quite get it right this time round. Surely, personal development is a long term process despite what clubs demand in the short term.

Not directed at you Canaryfan, just carrying on the conversation.

He actually started off alright, almost getting Derby promoted and getting Chelsea to top 4 under a transfer embargo and launching the careers of some of the youngsters. Sadly, it’s been downhill since. Lacking tactical nouse or the ability to build a successful team/squad.

I agree with you regarding both L and G not spending enough time as a number 2 or in the Championship. I don’t the SPL was a good enough proving ground for G to succeed in premiership (sorry Bhoyo).

2 Likes