Football season 2022 - 2023

Fundamentally Frank Lampard is a nice bloke. Nice guys don’t win.

2 Likes

As a character trait, I would have thought respect is higher than being either nice or horrible/tough.

1 Like

Too big a club for him I’m afraid…

Have Norwich won any European trophies ?

Lampard & Gerrard never struck me as stupid. Bearing in mind that they both spent very successful careers around top class managers I am just surprised that they were both happy to ‘jump in the deep’ end so early in their managerial careers, presumably thinking that management at the highest level was easy & without the need to develop the full range of skills required over a reasonable period of time.

Glenn Hoddle springs to mind here, in that he served his apprenticeship in the lower divisions before moving, successfully, to the premiership.

1 Like

Problem is they were offered jobs by EPL clubs (who should have known better) with substantial salaries

1 Like

Better, only team to have beaten Bayern Munich at the Olympic Stadium in european competition!!

Seriously, Norwich may have been the type of club that Gerrard should have spent a season or two at to get a feel for management at a reasonable level before taking on a premiership club.

It seems to have been accepted that he would be Liverpool manager one day. That still may happen but will be several years further off after losing his position at Villa. Perhaps ‘more haste, less speed’ may have been a good mantra for both him & Lampard?

Either way, as I said earlier, both are young enough to re-group & gain the experience required before having a further & hopefully, more successful shot at top level management.

3 Likes

That’s what I hinted in an earlier post.

Lampard turned down Norwich, presumably because it wasn’t a big enough club for him (& possibly that the pay check was too small) only a couple of weeks before he went to Everton.

2 Likes

Whatever the reasons/speculation for not going somewhere else or not doing this or that, they tried it, and will hopefully come back and turn out to be two very good managers…despite all the negative comments on social media….I would include Carrick in that sentiment too.

1 Like

It was definitely a heart rather than head decision for Lampard/Chelsea

1 Like

I have been a Man U supporter for about 60 years and a Forest supporter for a mere 35 years (since moving to Nottingham). Tomorrow night’s match will undoubtedly be a great occasion at the City Ground, but I am torn about who I should support. I’ll probably be cheering for Forest, not least because we’ll probably get hammered at Old Trafford. Our record of scoring away from home is abysmal!

Breaking news - Everton put up for sale! Might make it more attractive to potential managers

1 Like

Your Bayern Munich comment made me laugh but as you say seriously… Aston Villa was a move too soon, Gerrard should have perhaps stayed at Rangers for a few more seasons. I’m not sure with Norwich’s investment limitations it would have made a good move for Gerrard.

That’s bizarre.

Everton just released this video 30 minutes ago. Apparently it isn’t for sale.

Lifetime Scouser Childhood ManU supporting Chelsea fan Jim Ratcliffe may be interested.

1 Like

Not what Grauniad reporting!

I’m not saying the for sale report is incorrect.

But, it seems strange the for sale report comes out at the same time as interview with the owner of Everton saying it is not for sale.

A property with a nice riverside view is going to be far more appealing than a view of Trafford Park. :face_vomiting:

The Saints where doing well to hold out for the draw but conceded a late goal and then had a man sent off against Newcastle in the Carabao Cup semi final 1st leg down at St Marys.

A draw would have been a good result to take up to St James Park and loosing Caleta-Car for the return leg is a bit of a blow too. It’s only one goal so still everything to play for.

1 Like

“Lesser leagues”?

You mean those ones where money isn’t always the driving force and the league is thus more competitive.

Asking for a friend.