Football Season 2023/24

Sorry to hear of your awful loss Canaryfan. Life can be very cruel at times.

1 Like

So sorry to learn of your sudden and tragic loss, @Canaryfan. I lost my own wife 3 years ago, albeit after several years of worsening illness so I knew what was coming. All I can say is that the pain and shock passes, and passions in life, like ours for football and the club we love, can help restore some ‘normality’ to life.

1 Like

Oh no! Like everyone else here who “knows” you via your posts, I am shocked beyond words. Take care, mate. We are all here if you need to share anything. With much love, David.

5 Likes

@Canaryfan i think we can all appreciate what it must have taken to write any of that. At such times I always think we can see that, whilst online communities are very different to the face to face world, there is some common ground. Even though it’s likely most of us have or maybe will ever meet you I think we can all relate in some small way and I think it’s lovely that of all places you chose our small football community here to tell us your awful news.

There is no comparison but I lost my closest friend out of the blue in sudden and shocking circumstances when he was aged 49 a decade ago. The club held a minutes applause and I found myself realising that all the cliches we spout about our little communities are true. I also found myself laughing at the thought that he would have absolutely hated every second of that applause. At the same time a guy we used to play football with came from two blocks away to find me and silently put his arm around my shoulders for the whole of thar minute.

At the exact moment the ref blew his whistle and we were back in the football league there was a lot of hugging and my eighteen year old flew down the stairs to become a pitch invader. I stood there in silence and had a little moment to myself looking to the skies and remembering my friend.

Football will be no solace right now but know that we ultimately stand next to you quietly with our arms around your shoulders.

8 Likes

Oh I am really sorry for the pain you are in.

My deepest sympathy

but wishes

Ian

2 Likes

@Ian2001 @mikehughescq @bhoyo @MDS @JohnF @Andyblain
Sorry for any I may have missed.

Thank you all for your kind replies. I have never believed in all this ‘sharing your grief/problems’ stuff with a bunch of strangers. Much to my surprise it’s not a cure all but it has certainly helped.

I must say a particular thanks to Mike for a very thoughtful reply. We have had a couple of very friendly music spats in the past but totally in the spirt I believe this forum should be in.

Mike, I can’t do anything for your poor musical taste I’m afraid. Also very sorry this poor taste extends to your choice of football team…The tribute the crowd paid to your friend was extremely moving.

I have made a further post today which you all may like to refer to here:-

4 Likes

Looks like @JohnF might be getting what he’s been hankering after?

1 Like

You made me read about Clapton and David Cassidy. Unforgivable :slight_smile:

I do like the poster whose wife “licked” David Cassidy. That image isn’t going away any time soon :slight_smile:

I will post a brief reflection on your thread as I’m whacked after doing Manchester to Cardiff and back in a day and I need sleep as tomorrow is North Wales and the unbearable excitement of watching our reserves versus Newcastle U21s in the Trophy.

I am firmly in the boycott it camp but the LDV as was gave us our first major trophy two weeks before my son was born and tomorrow he’d like to go to his first game in that competition.

Sigh.

I believe it’s for the best but have to admit it’s based on the fact that we are only going backwards under the current regime.
With various wealthier leagues starting up all over the world it’s extremely difficult to work out was is for the best.

Last saw an EFL Trophy game two weeks before my son was born. Back then it was the LDV and we won it. Tonight we went full circle and the boy saw his first EFL Trophy game.

An interesting insight on many levels. Newcastle U21s were really poor. You could see the Howe template but there were only three players who looked remotely like potential professionals with a career ahead of them. They couldn’t cope with a press; lost because of a terrible keeper error; were petty and vicious when things didn’t go their way. Little wonder they’ve not got out of their group in four years.

Kudos to the 250 fans who came to watch them but I’m on a train with three of them now and they weren’t impressed either. Dysfunctional and poor seems to be the verdict.

We slung together a team of debutants; youngsters; players returning from injury and experienced players who aren’t L2 level along with three or four first teamers and it was clear our club/Parky template has already been more successfully adopted than the Howe one. It was 1-0 but it ought to have been 4 or 5.

At least one experienced player made a case for being nowhere near the first team squad, Young Cleworth showed once again why so many clubs are keen. The young keeper from Arsenal is someone I never want to watch again. Six foot six and a shot stopper. Fancied himself with his feet and was nothing short of awful. When a 21 year old defender won’t pass back to you because he doesn’t trust you sixty minutes into your debut you’re in trouble. When two of your own defenders are laughing at your pathetic attempt to argue that you didn’t handle the ball outside the area… I doubt we’ll be seeing much of him bar the early stages of this competition.

Not sure if this is the right topic to discuss another totally uninspiring England performance today. Partly the selection (Henderson, really??), partly the usual tactics (sideways, sideways, backwards) and partly some under-par personal performances from key players (Kane, Saka, Rice). It is such a shame we are going to waste yet another potential golden generation.
Now let’s see if our Rugby team can do any better.

1 Like

Think ok to discuss international football here.
So,
The ex-gunners assistant’s heretofore non-cup qualifying crossdressing Cockney Bastards bolstered by Celtic alumni playing for Scotland gave Cyprus an absolute battering yesterday, making it a near certainty they qualify for something,…… finally.

I know it was only Cyprus, but I’m celebrating anyway. And I’ll be even more gleeful on Tuesday if we give the English the thrashing they so richly deserve. I know the so-called friendly is meaningless in a footballing sense, but we all know that’s irrelevant in the real world ; )

1 Like

It will be meaningless for England. Only Scotland care. It’s similar to a PL club playing a L1 side in a pre-season friendly - nothing on the game for the PL side but the L1 players and their fans would like to get one over on their superiors. :wink:

1 Like

You keep telling yersel that.

1 Like

Deffo the thread for international stuff and all other football stuff bar the EPL echo chamber… Not paying too much attention myself as Wales won’t be worth paying any attention to until Page and co. have gone and the u21s have been put back in order. That said, when we finally get the Kop built it will be lovely to see full internationals back at Cae Ras.

That said, loving the Scottish stuff. After years out in the wilderness and being told by lots of people what’s wrong it’s amazing to see that everything can change with the appointment of a decent man and a very good, and seriously under-rated, manager. I’m not a fan of the trope whereby England fans ask why we won’t support their nation when they would support ours (they never have and never will) but assuming that it’s a given Wales won’t make any international tournament for at least a decade I will be throwing my hat in with the Scots. This does of course assume nothing bad happens in the next three games so fingers crossed. As a Welsh fan of too many years I’m painfully aware of the issue with “we only need x points from y games”.

Outside of international stuff our league game yesterday was awful and our first genuinely lucky win for more than a season. Weather obviously played a part but it’s never the full picture. Was never going to be as easy as Donny’s position suggested. McCann is a decent manager and they’ve had a lot of injuries. Their ex Arsenal striker turned Hayden inside out to the extent the latter was injured (again). Lucky deflections for both goals but really what won it was the lift from the return of Mullin in his protective corset. Says much that even an off the pace Mullin caused them more trouble than Palmer and Dalby did.

Welcome aboard the Scotland bandwagon, Mike. It’s a rickety ol’ thing, and another wheel is always likely to fall off. But the company is grand and the ride should be fun.

Steve Clarke has been an excellent coach for many years. He was a fine player too. I find it hilarious that people (English, mainly) automatically add the adjective “dour” when mentioning SC. He’s anything but, with his own folk. Clarkie is smart, modest and reserved, and possessed of a dry and understated wit.

4 Likes

Went through the late 70, 80s and 90s with Wales before things changed so I know exactly where you’re coming from. Was at the Jock Stein game and have had numerous lovely experiences with Scottish fans in stark contrast to the experience of England fans, which could be summarised as “terrifying”.

1 Like

Page has achieved his final 1970s/1980s Wales football manager badge.

Exactly the sort of 1980s Wales football win one learned to live in fear of. Playing “well” against an opponent 100 places below us and maintaining the pretence we can mathematically qualify thus ensuring no rational conversation about how bad we actually are can take place until the whole of qualifying is over.

Last night awoke feelings in me dormant since 2002.

‘‘Twas ever this Mike. The only reason we seem to qualify for anything is because it is much easier now than in years gone by.

Never mind, a rousing win against Gibraltar in October will set us back on track!!