Football Season 2023/24

I must admit I’ve always been very sceptical when the media start talking about a golden generation of English footballers.
However, Bellingham is one of those players who make you start dreaming as an England fan.

1 Like

I don’t think the scoreline at St Mary’s this evening flattered Leicester. They scored 4 but it could have been double that. Southampton’s persistence at trying to play it out from the back in which regular mistakes were made was, frankly, suicidal. Russell Martin needs to sort that defensive failing out quickly if Southampton want to bounce back to the PL quickly. Conceding 16 goals in 6 games isn’t a platform on which promotion is built.

Worrying times at St Mary’s at the moment.

Seemed like an impressive win for Wrexham today. Just seen the goals and am pleased that Palmer scored. Boyes head is a brick and Lee’s goal, although route 1, was very welcome.

I have a ticket to the away game at Mansfield which will be my first game this season. Hope for a similar level of performance.

Nope, it’s exactly what one would expect following years of mismanagement.

Missed my first home game of the season thanks to pneumonia. Likely to not be the last sadly. I had aspirations to go wearing a mask but I couldn’t physically get out of bed until 1pm let along walk 35 minutes to the station and get three trains. Tried the transfer your ticket thing and it actually worked so my cousin was able to go in my absence although it obviously threw him as he waited at our usual meeting place until he remembered I wouldn’t be coming.

Listened on iFollow, at least when I wasn’t falling asleep, and was shocked Mullin and Hayden started. Mullin clearly hasn’t got his timing right with shooting yet but in every other respect he sounded outstanding. First half sounded like Tranmere i.e. we blew them away. Tranny are in real trouble. They look every inch a relegation team. We are settling nicely now that Young is protecting the defence in a way that Cannon cannot.

Not seen anyone we should fear yet. Of the teams who put five past us I’d say MK have a decent ish team but no squad depth which, to be fair, is exactly what Alexander has said. Swindon were largely gifted goals by Cannon and Foster and seem generally leaky. Worst team were Sparky’s Bradford.

Mansfield should be a good test. Well done on winning the lottery to get a ticket.

Sorry to hear you are not too well Mike. Positive Wrexham stories always make up for it though.

Thought I would miss out on a ticket as I was on a call when they were released, but it was easy in the end.

Hope you fell better soon.

Kev.

Pneumonia? That can be seriously unpleasant. I hope your bout with it is under control and that you’re fighting fit again soon.

David

1 Like

Thanks @kaypeejay. I clearly under-estimated how badly it would hit me. Working from home meant I carried on almost as normal and then collapsed when the weekend hit.

Watched the extended highlights. That Lee turn for the cross and the Fletcher overhead. Sublime.

The Mansfield game was one I very much fancied until I realised getting home by train would make it impossible to get the last bus home. Not being able to get Stockport away tickets was an eye opener too. These really are different times. I am reduced to hoping it’s easy enough to get Crewe away tickets in the EFL Trophy.

Thanks @bhoyo. It is both unexpected and very unpleasant. Not quite finished my antibiotics yet and apparently that’s when it gets really unpleasant. Bad enough now. Thank heavens for music, forums, TV and books.

1 Like

Great result today at The Den but the joy of watching football without VAR is a welcome throwback to football’s better days.

3 Likes

With so many first team players deserting the sinking ship, and so many quality new signings arriving at Elland Road, it was not ever going to happen that things would gel immediately.

Nevertheless, today, we had the unaccustomed luxury of a striker who can actually convert chances into goals, and our attack force are finding their feet and operating as a unit, with some lovely quick passing interchanges.

The defence seems more aware of each other too, so, all in all, I think we will maintain our upward trajectory on the journey back to the Big Boys league.

M.O.T.

2 Likes

Tues night could be miserable for the board if we don’t get a result. But my glass is half full. Even against the high-flying Portman Rd crew.

You asked the question further up Chris.

I think the answer is revealing itself. He seems dedicated to a style of play that neither he nor his coaches seem capable of fully executing. Very odd.

1 Like

Wednesday night will be a good test.

1 Like

What about Piroe - never mind his goals - his positioning, support and hold up play were fantastic. A real find.

1 Like

It certainly will … … … let’s hope everyone is on their game, and we get a result.

M.O.T.

1 Like

We left things a bit late during the transfer window, and it was quite worrying to see so many players departing, (well, some of them, at least), but Piroe, Ampadu, and Spence, among others, all seem a step up from the players they are replacing.

I can see things improving over the next few weeks as they get to know each other, and am feeling quite optimistic for this season.

M.O.T.

3 Likes

Don’t hurry things Mike. My wife had pneumonia and wouldn’t stop working.
Ended up out for six weeks. She normally gets through anything but this really knocked her back.
Get plenty of rest and get back soon.

1 Like

The good citizens of Milano know the Geordies have arrived🤣

4 Likes